Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Expensive lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/12, 06:01 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expensive lesson learned

2 weeks ago I ordered a Trufiber Venom Hood from Americanmuscle.com for my 2012 Mustang GT. 2 days later when i realised it still wasn't getting fully approved and shipped, i called them up to find out why it was taking so long. I found out that they dont ship hoods directly to the individuals house, but only to the Autobody shop the individual has selected to paint it.

So I tell them where to ship it and they finally approve it and it gets shipped out. a couple of days later my paint shop calls me up and tells me it has arrived in great condition and will start on it as soon as they can.

a week and a half later i got to pick it and put it on my car, only to find out that Americanmuslce shipped the wrong model year hood. the hood was designed for the 2005-2009 body style mustang and wont fit on my 2012 Mustang.

Because it was already painted, Americanmuscle will not take it back and refund it. So now I am stuck with having to take a $300-$400 hit when i sell it to someone else that can actually use it.

Leasson learned, ALWAYS TEST FIT ANY UNPAINTED PARTS YOU BUY FOR YOUR CAR BEFORE THEY GET PAINTED.

on a related note... anyone in the market for a OEM black Trufiber venom hood for their 2005-2009 Mustang? 850$
Old 5/27/12, 06:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude that sucks so bad. It goes to show you can't take anything for granted when buying things online. I can't believe AM wouldn't try to do anything at all to help you out? If it was truly their fault they should send you another hood at the very least. You will still be out the money to have it painted but at least you would have the right hood. AM has excellent customer care and I would think based on by experiences with them that they would at least try to help you out.
Old 5/27/12, 06:59 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If all the part numbers match up on your order/confirmation email, AM SHOULD take it back!! Hoods can be repainted.

If AM is screwing up and shipping the wrong part - like Tire Rack did for that one guys handling components, they should dang well make it right. Tire Rack made it right and then some - because the part numbers were incorrect and their fault.
Old 5/27/12, 11:04 AM
V6 Member

The only thing AM offered me was a small discount on my next purchase. They refused to take my hood back since it had already been painted. and after everything that i had to go through to even just get that small discount, I really dont even want to order another part from them.
Old 5/27/12, 11:05 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n
The only thing AM offered me was a small discount on my next purchase. They refused to take my hood back since it had already been painted. and after everything that i had to go through to even just get that small discount, I really dont even want to order another part from them.
That sucks man.. They should replace the hood. I'm sure they'd have no problem selling a pre-painted hood..
Old 5/27/12, 11:34 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be on the phone to AM and my credit card company. Are you 100% you ordered the right hood? if you they have to make it right 100%.
Old 5/27/12, 11:42 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I would be on the phone to AM and my credit card company. Are you 100% you ordered the right hood? if you they have to make it right 100%.
He should have an email of what he ordered.
Old 5/27/12, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

If AM won't do the right thing do a charge back, leave feedback on their site and contact BBB.
Old 5/27/12, 11:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats ****ty, if you ordered the correct one from there site, they should take it back, if not thats pretty **** ****ty....

Chris with AM , if you are listening... Help him out if he ordered the correct one on his reciept... not his fault yall shipped wrong one.
Old 5/27/12, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's a vastly different situation but I recently purchased some lug bolts from AM. I left a negative feedback on the lugs because when removing them to do my suspension upgrades the caps on the ends of the lugs started coming off. Also the paint was scarred and the lugs started to rust. Then a few weeks later I get an email that my order had been processed for a new set of lugs at no charge due to my review. Now this is a $25 dollar set of lugs and not a several hundred dollar hood.

Like the others said, if you have the documentation that you ordered the right hood and they sent the wrong one they should honor their mistake and send you another hood.
Old 5/27/12, 12:09 PM
V6 Member

Especially since it wasn't shipped to you directly but the shop that was painting. If it was sent to you directly then it'd be your fault for not looking but I'm assuming you didn't even look at it until after it was painted??
Old 5/27/12, 02:40 PM
V6 Member

That is correct i didn't even lay eyes on it till this past friday when i went to pick it up from the paint shop.
Old 5/27/12, 02:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Are you sure about that because I do not see a Trufiber Venom Hood for the 05-09 S197s on AMs website
Old 5/27/12, 05:13 PM
V6 Member

That's because trufiber renamed in for the 2010-2013 model years... from the Trufiber GTS-4 for the 05-09 models
http://www.americanmuscle.com/trufib...hood-0509.html
here is the Trufiber Venom hood for the 10-13 models
http://www.americanmuscle.com/trufib...hood-1011.html
as you can see they are exactly the same style hood I.E. the GT500KR style hood but one is for the 05-09 body while the other is for the 10-13 body.
Old 5/27/12, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
where are you located OP?
Old 5/27/12, 07:25 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n
That's because trufiber renamed in for the 2010-2013 model years... from the Trufiber GTS-4 for the 05-09 models
http://www.americanmuscle.com/trufib...hood-0509.html
here is the Trufiber Venom hood for the 10-13 models
http://www.americanmuscle.com/trufib...hood-1011.html
as you can see they are exactly the same style hood I.E. the GT500KR style hood but one is for the 05-09 body while the other is for the 10-13 body.
Bottom line as far as I'm concerned is did YOU order the correct part for your car. IF you did, then I'd take whatever means necessary to get your situation corrected. If YOU made a mistake and ordered the WRONG part, then you're out of luck IMO. If AM made the mistake and shipped the WRONG part, then THEY should correct their mistake. Forget about this 'oh, it's painted' crapola. Most places charge extra for a prepainted part, I'm sure they could unload it at a minimal loss.

If the mistake is theirs, then the only correct thing to do is for them to refund your purchase, ALL shipping, AND offer a significant discount on a replacement hood since you're going to be stuck paying for more paint.
Old 5/27/12, 07:27 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
If all the part numbers match up on your order/confirmation email, AM SHOULD take it back!! Hoods can be repainted.

If AM is screwing up and shipping the wrong part - like Tire Rack did for that one guys handling components, they should dang well make it right. Tire Rack made it right and then some - because the part numbers were incorrect and their fault.
-------------
Hello, it's me, the guy with the Tire Rack nightmare. Man, OP, that really sucks, and I feel your pain - see my similar thread:
---
https://themustangsource.com/f800/wa...e-rack-508697/
---
I agree with Flagstang, you can have your credit card company do battle for you. Maybe if you read through my (very long, and ugly) thread above, you can get inspired to escalate your situation up to Senior Management at American Muscle. I wish you luck in getting a full refund, which you deserve. IMO, you did everything correct as the customer, now they must make it right, no matter what it costs them. Please keep us all posted.
Old 5/27/12, 07:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
The only problem with that is that I am assuming that they sent it either New Penn or ABF or UPS freight or whoever they sent it. On the delivery receipt slip that you sign you are acknowledging that you have the items that came off the truck and that they are in good condition unless you signed off subject to inspection. Then from that point the hood is opened up and when it was prepped by the body shop it should have been test fitted onto the car and then they should have realized that it was the wrong hood before going into paint. Since they probably didn't test fit the hood and just painted it and then tried to put it on the car later AM position is that the OP had a couple of chances to inspect the hood to see if it was the right product or not before spraying it.

Post up your receipt to make sure it is the venom hood and not the GT4 hood, if they did originally ship the wrong hood then I am sure they would have tried to compensate you in some way possible.
Old 5/27/12, 08:07 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
to be fair AM made him ship the hood to a place not being his home. They removed his ability to check the hood and to sign for the shipping company. Most body shops do not test fit parts.
Old 5/27/12, 10:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
where are you located OP?
I'm located in O'Fallon IL. the auto shop i had paint the hood was located in St. Louis which is almost an hour drive away. the name of the place is Clean Cut Creations... and John Meyer, the owner, did a great job with the hood. i really dont think its his fault for not making me test fit it. he's use to doing classic car restoration and classic kitchenware restoration, but he does incredible work.

Quick Reply: Expensive lesson learned