Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Dr. Colorchip

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/13, 08:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
That's nice! I'm getting a kit for both of our cars. They have both chips on the front and hood.
Old 6/16/13, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
We bought my wife's 20008 Mazda Mazda3 a few months ago and it had probably a dozen small chips all over the hood (pin head size), plus one larger one maybe 1/8" W x 1/2" long. I bought the Dr. ColorChip standard sized kit for it because I wanted to see how good it was before I touched Lucy with it

After clay barring the entire hood and getting it perfectly clean, I spent 3-4 hours on the touch-ups while I detailed the rest of the car. A few observations:
  • Overall, it works fantastic on really small chips - to the point where I can't remember where they even were.
  • However, it's not real good on bigger chips like the one I mentioned above. I kept on applying the paint, letting it dry and using the blend solution but it would take off everything, not just the stuff outside the chip. I thought I had to keep doing thin layers to build it up but after 20 tries (no joke), it still looked like it did when I started, so I globbed on paint and let it dry, knowing it wouldn't be perfect but wanting to get it at least sealed up. So there's a noticeable touchup on the hood but it's way better than where we started.
  • Don't be too concerned about messing up your paint. The blending solution will take off whatever you put on even 15 minutes after you do it so it's easy to get back to where you started.
  • If you're an absolute fanatic about your car's finish (FromZto5, for example), this is an ok solution but you'll probably be able to see the touchups in the right light and it'll drive you nuts. However, for daily driver Mustangs or your non-Mustang vehicles that are going to get chips kind of regularly, it's a nice solution.
  • I bought the standard kit, which they say is for up to 2 dozen chips, but I bet I could do 50 or or more with it, so don't be concerned about buying the bigger kit unless you truly have a ton of chips.
I'll probably buy the one for Lucy soon, as I have a few of those pinhole size chips on the hood. Been thinking about that new spray-on clear protection that a few different companies are making - anybody tried that stuff?
Old 6/16/13, 06:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, this chip on my door is from some road debris being kicked up from the car next to me on the expressway.

Here is a better picture...

It's hardly noticeable, but I want to to just be sealed. Ill give this kit a try and post the results.
Attached Thumbnails Dr. Colorchip-image-1173846580.jpg  
Old 6/20/13, 07:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ if you don't expect miracle... you would be happy with the result.
Old 7/8/13, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Believe it or not I have had the same success with the little touchup bottle I asked for when taking delivery. I add a little paint, smug it a little, wipe off the access and then just re-apply just a hint if needed. I can't even find the chips in the bumper when looking for them.