Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

SVT Brembos w/ PP Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/12, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SVT Brembos w/ PP Wheels?

I have a 2012 V6 with the Performance Package, which includes 19" wheels, but I have no idea about the offset & such of the wheels. Will the SVT Brembo kit fit behind those wheels?
Old 8/26/12, 06:52 PM
GTR Member

Nope, won't fit by quite a ways.
Old 8/26/12, 07:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zbrewha863
I have a 2012 V6 with the Performance Package, which includes 19" wheels, but I have no idea about the offset & such of the wheels. Will the SVT Brembo kit fit behind those wheels?
Well crap, sorry to recomendation something that wouldn't fit anyways!
Old 8/27/12, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Nope, won't fit by quite a ways.
Ok thanks, do you know how much? Is it something where I could run spacers and extended studs and get by?
Old 8/27/12, 08:22 PM
GTR Member

About a 1/2 inch I believe.

You could run spacers but I wouldn't suggest it.

If you just want big brakes, Baer makes a 14" rotor upgrade kit that uses the stock calipers.
Old 8/27/12, 08:39 PM
Cobra R Member

If you just want big brakes, Baer makes a 14" rotor upgrade kit that uses the stock calipers.
Link!!
Old 8/27/12, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

1/2" seems excessive, unless those PP wheels just have horrible offsets/backspacing. A 25mm spacer is completely safe, and would give plenty of clearance, but I'd definitely like to know the specifics before I just start ordering crazy parts Do you have a link or anything like cpotts suggested?

I don't want to go with bigger rotors, that puts me at the same disadvantage as if I had upgraded the entire braking system, so I need to get my penalty's worth of performance here
Old 8/28/12, 11:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
You realize 25mm is about 1" right? 1/2" spacer wouldn't be bad at all. On my SN95, I've been running 1" in rear and .25" in front for years. Driven HARD on bumpy mountain backroads/dragstrip. Just get high quality spacers from Maximum Motorsports.
Old 8/28/12, 07:02 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by zbrewha863
1/2" seems excessive, unless those PP wheels just have horrible offsets/backspacing. A 25mm spacer is completely safe, and would give plenty of clearance, but I'd definitely like to know the specifics before I just start ordering crazy parts Do you have a link or anything like cpotts suggested?

I don't want to go with bigger rotors, that puts me at the same disadvantage as if I had upgraded the entire braking system, so I need to get my penalty's worth of performance here
No link, try GOOGLE.

I don't understand though, you don't want bigger rotors? The brembos have 14" rotors so you are looking for bigger rotors...

And it's not necessarily the offset or backspacing that makes the clearance for the big brakes, it's the shape of the spokes, ones made for big brakes are curved out on the back for the clearance.
Old 8/28/12, 08:54 PM
Cobra R Member

http://www.cjponyparts.com/baer-fron...5-2012/p/BR36/

bit expensive.
Old 8/29/12, 06:10 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by cpotts13
I've seen those kits for less than $600 before, just have to search around some.
Old 8/29/12, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

No link, try GOOGLE.

I don't understand though, you don't want bigger rotors? The brembos have 14" rotors so you are looking for bigger rotors...

And it's not necessarily the offset or backspacing that makes the clearance for the big brakes, it's the shape of the spokes, ones made for big brakes are curved out on the back for the clearance.
No need for the attitude. I tried Google, nothing out there on the offset or fitting a BBK on those wheels. All I could find was the approximate weight of the wheels, which doesn't really help me at all.

First of all, the offset and backspacing has a huge amount to do with whether the brake kit will fit or not. Those two things determine how far the brake calipers can come out before they contact the wheel. The shape of the spokes does help, but you don't need curved spokes to fit a big brake kit.

Also, I guess I did a poor job of explaining racing class rules -- here is the deal with upgrading the rotors. The "beginner-oriented" street tire classes will allow you to change out your pads and rotors, but you must maintain the same rotor diameter as stock. So you could use stock-sized slotted/drilled rotors if you want to, but that's it. If I go with bigger rotors, I immediately get bumped up into a much faster class where full big brake kits are allowed. So I'm effectively penalized for only going with larger rotors, because I'm competing against cars with big brake kits.
Old 8/29/12, 10:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If you use the OEM Brembo calipers and 14" rotors, will the track inspectors know? I have no way of verifying this, but I would almost bet that setup with a 0.5" spacer would be fine with your stock wheels. Look around on the forum to see if you have anyone with the BBP on their GT near you. You could pick up a set of the spacers and try it out. You won't be able to upgrade the calipers and use the stock rotor size....
Old 8/29/12, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
You realize 25mm is about 1" right? 1/2" spacer wouldn't be bad at all. On my SN95, I've been running 1" in rear and .25" in front for years. Driven HARD on bumpy mountain backroads/dragstrip. Just get high quality spacers from Maximum Motorsports.
I do realize that, my post was confusing. I was saying that it seems like needing an additional 1/2" for clearance is excessive on a 19" wheel. I'm not worried about running a 20-25mm spacer on that wheel.

Originally Posted by laserred38
If you use the OEM Brembo calipers and 14" rotors, will the track inspectors know? I have no way of verifying this, but I would almost bet that setup with a 0.5" spacer would be fine with your stock wheels. Look around on the forum to see if you have anyone with the BBP on their GT near you. You could pick up a set of the spacers and try it out. You won't be able to upgrade the calipers and use the stock rotor size....
(1) I'm sure they will know, because you can't get Brembos on the V6.

(2) I realize I will have to upgrade the rotors at the same time.... What I was saying is that if I'm upgrading the rotors, I pretty much have to upgrade the calipers at the same time or else I'm being judged as if I were running the larger calipers anyway.
Old 8/29/12, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I see. Well maybe you could get away with the OEM Brembos, being that they ARE available on the GT?

You might even be able to get away with a 0.25" spacer.

However, you'd be surprised how switching to slotted rotors/better pads/stainless lines/better fluid can make a huge difference, and keep you within your class.
Old 8/29/12, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah that's a good call. Another member on here suggested going with the SVT Brembos, so that's why I was looking into it. I have the V6 Performance Package, which comes with the GT's brakes, so I think with some better pads/lines/fluid it can be pretty competitive.