'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Question For 3.7 Owners With Long Term Use of a Tune

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/15, 09:24 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You have enough posts to get a 6% discount at American Muscle. Just PM them and they will send you the code for the discount. I run the Bama V2 91race tune and my wife runs the V2 87p tune. We both like our tunes and the difference from stock is like night and day.
Old 10/24/15, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
So right now my 2014 is running the stock tune on my 3.7. It's fine for just normal driving and mild acceleration but I notice that under hard acceleration the car feels like the motor really wants to put the power down and the tune is holding it back. It's difficult to describe except to say it feels like its actually retarding the powerband a bit or almost like the car has hit a rev limiter long before red line for just a brief moment and then it will grab again.

So anyway, I'm considering a mild tune so that the car holds the power throughout the powerband. I'm running the automatic and I'll have to check on my gearing but I believe it's the 2.73's. I use nothing but 93 octane fuel and the car is meticulously maintained.

My question is for those of you who have run a "street" tune for a lengthy amount of time. Has it caused any issues for you over time and how was the performance compared to your stock tune?
I just bought the SCT X4 and did the preloaded 93 Octane tune from it. Certainly feel the difference. Gear shift is firmer and throttle response is better.

But I will get a custom tune later down the road once i decide to upgrade gears/long tube headers etc.

But for now im very happy, especially since the rev limiter is gone.

Be sure before you tune it, you replace the driveshaft. Because it's prone to breaking once the speed limiter is removed.
Old 10/24/15, 10:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by iceD
Be sure before you tune it, you replace the driveshaft. Because it's prone to breaking once the speed limiter is removed.
Or just leave the limiter in place should you not want to replace it...?

Or of course just don't go that fast. The lack of a limiter doesn't mean you HAVE to go that fast.
Old 10/24/15, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

^lol yes. But i got royally pissed off once the rev reached its limit at 118? WHILE IN A RACE WITH A CAMARO lol..

But thats a matter of opinion, its a race car, made to go fast. But again, no one should be going 150 on highways all the time...Cuz you gotta take care of your car as well.
Old 10/24/15, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

and if anything is going to kill you, its the airbag recall problem.
Old 10/24/15, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I just bought the SCT X4 and did the preloaded 93 Octane tune from it. Certainly feel the difference. Gear shift is firmer and throttle response is better.

But I will get a custom tune later down the road once i decide to upgrade gears/long tube headers etc.

But for now im very happy, especially since the rev limiter is gone.

LOL Yea I remember watching the youtube video of that guy that tuned his car and then took it to about 130 without the rev limiter and blew his drive shaft. I fully intend to replace it with a one piece shaft down the line and I would love to get my rear axle sanded and have some paint applied because I hate the rusty look of it. I've also looked at some Borla exhaust options but I'm curious if that will bring with it a lower back pressure and how that will affect performance. They sound great though. I'm also looking at the behind the back seat X-Brace from Steeda as I already have the front strut brace. Other things I'm going to do are koni struts and shocks and once the factory brake pads wear down I'm going to order the complete set of slotted rotors and break pads form American Muscle. But for starters I'm going to go with the tune / CAI combo to help the car put down the power like it wants to instead of being held back.
Old 10/24/15, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

and if anything is going to kill you, its the airbag recall problem.
LOL Got my notice of recall a few months ago, still haven't heard from the dealership to schedule an appointment to replace it. I read the other day that NHTSA wants Takata to get their butts in gear and start replacing them faster. Why am I not surprised that Takata is dragging their feet on it?
Old 10/24/15, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Siber Express
50K of Tuned miles on mine, average MPG with my 3.31 and manual is around 26 with probable 70/30 split between hwy and city.

If I do the gears, I will probably go with 3.73's, why waste the money on 3.31's. My last mustang, I had 4.10's.
Old 10/24/15, 10:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Each step to lower rear end gearing will yield better acceleration and worse fuel economy. It's a matter of what is important to you. If you want the most smoking acceleration go right to the 4.1. If you prefer a compromise the 3.55 is probably a pretty good choice. Whatever you decide it is your choice, so just enjoy the result and ignore those who tell you it was the wrong choice.
Old 10/24/15, 11:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodsmustang
If I do the gears, I will probably go with 3.73's, why waste the money on 3.31's. My last mustang, I had 4.10's.
Did your last Mustang have the MT82 transmission?

What some folks don't realize is that the transmission gearing with the MT82 is very different from previous transmissions. The final drive ratio between an older Mustang and a newer one is different, with the older Mustangs having a taller first gear.

Rear end gears are not a "one size fits all" application, we need to keep in mind that the gearbox ratios also matter, and that just because a certain ratio works with a certain transmission doesn't mean it will work with another transmission.

In my opinion, 4.10 gears would be absolutely useless for anything outside of dedicated drag racing. First is already very short with stock gearing...
Old 10/25/15, 07:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodsmustang
Performance Package came with 3.31's, and truthfully if I had gotten a 2.73 car I would not have gone bigger than 3.55's. I also do not drag race, more into cornering, anything higher makes to much extra shifting on short straightaways or running into the rev limiter
Old 10/25/15, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Exactly why I suggested 3.55s. I have the Track Pack and a lot of times, the 3.73s are a bit much with the MT-82.
Old 10/26/15, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Did your last Mustang have the MT82 transmission?

What some folks don't realize is that the transmission gearing with the MT82 is very different from previous transmissions. The final drive ratio between an older Mustang and a newer one is different, with the older Mustangs having a taller first gear.

Rear end gears are not a "one size fits all" application, we need to keep in mind that the gearbox ratios also matter, and that just because a certain ratio works with a certain transmission doesn't mean it will work with another transmission.

In my opinion, 4.10 gears would be absolutely useless for anything outside of dedicated drag racing. First is already very short with stock gearing...

I'm planning on going 3.73's and aluminum drive shaft. I didn't have the MT82 but I've changed enough gears to know what I like.
Old 10/26/15, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will probably go with the 3.31 gears when I finally make the swap. A lot of my driving is highway with about a 70 / 30 split like Siber. Right now I'm averaging 21.6 mpg with the stock tune and running 93 octane. Thanks for the heads up on the discount at American Muscle maverick.