Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Double mid pipe for better sound?

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/14, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I really tried to do a search to find a thread that was similar, even one that just talked about exhaust sound from mid pipe installs and found nothing. Well long story short I recently installed factory 5.0 H pipe. Off the bat the sound was a lot deeper upon startup and on the highway I noticed the car I felt a lot quicker on upper RPM's, around 4200 4300 and above. I still have not done in the car so I don't know if there's any games but then again I've never done in the car so I have no idea what my bass power is at or any of the numbers. My main concern is the sound of my car now. When I had the hybrid mid pipe I noticed a slight burble sound. I really liked it and wanted to enhance it, make it louder. so I thought adding the H pipe, which most people say will give you that more "muscle car" sound, should do the trick. Well it did improve in some areas but the areas I wanted it to improve on it didn't. As of now it sounds great up until 2700 rpm and then it just flattens out into this droned Tacoma PreRunner exhaust sound.

Anyways, long story short I'm planning on trying to sell the car so I can upgrade for a 5.0 but in the meantime I wanted to see if I can maybe put back the factory hybrid midsection while keeping the the H section of the midpipe installed. I don't know if anyone has done that before what it would do to install a double h-pipe or a double X pipe. I have no idea if I'm even thinking I along the right lines with this lol.

Any thoughts on this would be great!
For now as is my car is stock exhaust with the Magnaflow Street Series axlebacks.

Last edited by Fintile; 2/7/14 at 07:32 PM.
Old 2/11/14, 08:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Nobody?
Old 2/11/14, 08:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double, as in one behind the other?

And the most sound change is going to come from the mufflers.
Old 2/11/14, 08:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Double, as in one behind the other?

And the most sound change is going to come from the mufflers.
Yes. ..I know sounds crazy. See I already changed my mufflers twice. Ive heard a completely stock V6 with Roush axel backs and to me it was hideous. Ive had my Magnaflow Street series axels backs for over a year and just wanted to make that "burbble" sound more predominant so I installed the H pipe. Now I have a crazy burping noise from 3k rpm and up
:-/
Old 2/11/14, 10:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try it and see, but I think you will run out of room, or be forced to make compromises to flow to get two on there.

It's a V6, there is only so much that you can do to get the sound you are wanting.

When I had my '12 V6, there were a couple of exhausts I liked the sound of but they were not enough better to me than the stock mufflers so I never bought any. One of the best ones to me were just muffler deletes. I just ended up leaving the stock mufflers on mine though, I got to liking the stealth of the quieter mufflers.

Now, on my current GT, I knew from the start that I had to have the boy racer exhaust sound, and I got it with the Flowmaster Outlaws.
Old 2/12/14, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Those are nice mufflers. Its real hard to mess up the sound of a V8. Not saying it cant be done but youd really have to do a lot to ruin it lol