Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

boss 302 oil cooler on 3.7

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/14, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boss 302 oil cooler on 3.7

will the boss 302 oil cooler work on the 3.7? not talking about the coolant hose part because i can use adapters for that, im talking about the filter adapter part that bolts to the engine. i know i dont actually need this but keeping the oil cooler should keep it from breaking down so fast. i see that when people put it on the 5.0 they get around 30 degrees cooler oil temps.
Old 2/6/14, 02:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 5.0 and 3.7 both use the FL-500S oil filter, so that should work. I too have clicked several times on that oil cooler option when cruising Ebay.

Did you follow through with this install?
Old 2/6/14, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Why not use the oil cooler from the 3.7 F150?
Old 2/6/14, 07:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Or you could build your own that would work better then the Boss 302 Oil Cooler.

Setrab oil cooler with a sandwhich plate and some fittings and you are pretty much all set to go.
Old 2/8/14, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Does a oil cooler really have any effect on a non-race car, non-track car application?

Matthew
Old 2/8/14, 01:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Does a oil cooler really have any effect on a non-race car, non-track car application? Matthew
No it doesn't
Old 2/8/14, 01:42 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
No it doesn't
Exactly
Old 2/10/14, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats what I thought but just checking.

Matthew
Old 2/10/14, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

it prevents break down in the oil additives which will help aid in lubrication over the oils life. im not looking for it to keep the engine cooler but mainly to help the oil. ive done research in oil and it helps both synthetic(which is what i put in mine) and conventional motor oil. although it helps conventional a lot more than it does synthetic. cooler oil means a happier engine and a longer life of the engine.
Old 2/17/14, 10:53 AM
Cobra Member

Another option...the 3.7 is being used in the F150's, and there's an oil cooler option used as the tow package for them.

You can buy the pre-made lower radiator hose and oil filter "sandwich" box. The radiator hose will require that you remove the lower radiator connection, as the truck uses a snap ring to hold the hose onto the radiator nipple; our Mustangs use a spring clamp. An easy mod. Everything else is plug and play.

See these pics for the 3.7 truck's oil cooler. You'd need part numbers 15, 16, and 17:
Attached Images    
Old 2/18/14, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Does a oil cooler really have any effect on a non-race car, non-track car application?

Matthew
Yes it does, If your in stop and go traffic a lot and if you tow anything.
Old 2/19/14, 05:10 AM
Cobra Member

In my case, I sort of beat up on the engine a couple of times a month when I track the car on a closed course. I'm installing the version used for the 3.7 F150's with the tow package. I got the hose yesterday. It will require modification of it's lower radiator connection. Apparently, the truc radiators use a "plug and snap ring" style for the lower radiator connection, whereas our Mustangs simply have the hose slide onver the radiator nipple and then use a clamp. I should be able to simply cut this connector off of the F150 hose, and cut the lower piece of the stock hose and then use a piece of PVC pipe as a coupler to mate these two pieces together (with clamps).
Old 2/24/14, 06:41 AM
Cobra Member

I just got the hose from the 3.7 F-150 this past weekend. The lower part of the hose will certainly require a mod; I'll need to cut off its bottom connection that has it connecting to the lower radiator, as it uses a plastic piece with an "O" ring and snap ring to connect it. I'm sure I can use the existing radiator hose to cut off it's lower end and then make a coupler out of PVC with two clamps.

I ordered part#15 (comes with #16) this morning. My next oil change is almost due, do all this gets installed soon. If anyone's interested, I'll post how it went.
Old 2/24/14, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am interested. I would also like to know if the oil cooler increases oil capacity since you have a bunch more plumbing to run the fluid through.
Old 2/24/14, 11:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by V6 Driver
I am interested. I would also like to know if the oil cooler increases oil capacity since you have a bunch more plumbing to run the fluid through.
S/b an extra .5 quart
Old 3/3/14, 01:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by V6 Driver
Not with this setup, as this Ford Oil cooler setup being used is using water to cool the oil. See pictures below (cooler is what the oil filter screws onto).

UPDATE. Part number BL3Z6A642D (3.7 oil cooler for F150 3.7) is tough to find right now. I found one at a Georgia Ford dealership. Apparently, this cooler also works with the 3.5 liter. Ford has them marked as backorder, with a "TBD" (to be determined) date as to when they will become available. So, the only place to find them right now is if a Ford parts department has one in stock.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Bucko; 3/3/14 at 01:43 PM.
Old 3/25/14, 05:38 AM
Cobra Member

Update: Finished the install this past weekend. Easy install:

1) Drain the oil, and remove the oil filter.

2) Using a large allen wrench (cannot remember the size, but the new "tube" is the same size), remove the center threaded "tube" (oil filter threads onto this). The new oil cooler comes with a longer "tube"

3) Place the oil cooler over the oil filter location, then thread in the longer "tube". Use the large allen wrench to tighten the "tube", then spin on the new oil filter.

4) Fill with new oil.

5) Remove lower engine cover to expose the radiator drain plug (on passenger side). It's a plastic plug. Drain the radiator.

6) Remove the lower radiator hose to engine thermostat connection. Using the new F150 radiator hose, cut off the end that has a plastic connector (used for the F150 3.7 radiators). Then cut back about 3 inches from the lower hose. Using a 2 inch diameter by 3 inch in length radiator hose coupler (Jeggs or Summit sells these; your local parts store may have them), install the coupler to each end, and clamp lightly, as the lower 3 inch cut allows the lower part of the hose to rotate slightly to align with the Mustang's lower radiator coupler.

7) I had to trim off about 2 inches from the tubes that connect to the oil cooler couplers. It took about two trial fits and trims to get the F150 hose with its oil cooler hoses to all fit perfectly without any kinks. It works!

8) Tighten all the hose clamps, make sure the radiator drain plug is closed, and refill the radiator via the deguase bottle (the over flow tank). Install the cap back onto the over flow tank. Turn the heat to full, start the engine, and allow the engine to reach operating temperature. Shut off the engine, allow to cool, then slowly remove the overflow tank cap, allowing pressure to release. Turn the cap slowly! Fill the overflow to the correct fill line. You may have to repeat this cycle, allowing for any air in the cooling system to "burp" its way out.

Last edited by Bucko; 3/25/14 at 05:43 AM.
Old 3/25/14, 06:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
it prevents break down in the oil additives which will help aid in lubrication over the oils life. im not looking for it to keep the engine cooler but mainly to help the oil. ive done research in oil and it helps both synthetic(which is what i put in mine) and conventional motor oil. although it helps conventional a lot more than it does synthetic. cooler oil means a happier engine and a longer life of the engine.
Isn't that what oil changes are for?