Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Borla S-Type Axleback vs. Catback

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/14, 05:17 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla S-Type Axleback vs. Catback

I have a few questions because I'm not really understanding the point. I've always replaced the entire system from header to tailpipe on all my other cars. The axleback is about 600 not sure how mufflers can be 300 each...and how 2.25 piping is worth another 300?

Is there a power or sound difference between the two? I know the stock piping has some flat narrow spots. Would there be a value in simply getting the axlebacks or just 2 mufflers themselves and having a muffler shop just do the rest in 2.25 inch pipe?
Old 3/12/14, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Your Exhaust is already 2.25. Also unless you are going F/I changing the whole cat back does nothing since the stock exhaust can handle the flow from a basically stock motor.
Old 3/12/14, 07:49 PM
GT Member

Still its kinda hard to believe a muffler swap, which is all that an axleback is produces any type of power gain
Old 3/12/14, 08:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rodimus_prime
Still its kinda hard to believe a muffler swap, which is all that an axleback is produces any type of power gain
Only thing doing a muffler swap really does is change the noise. Free flowing exhaust might get you a very little bit up at the top end. The stock was to quiet for me so I went with Borla Touring Axle backs. I got more power from short tube headers and extra noise from the mufflers. Like I said, just to quiet and mine is not that loud now, but I like it.
BTW with buying a set of higher end mufflers you are paying for the Stainless that it is made out of, there are some for cheaper but most of those are Aluminized Steel.
Old 3/12/14, 08:18 PM
GT Member

Im thinking BBK shorties, FRPP cut and clamp x pipe and the borla s type catback, ive heard bits and pieces but not the exact setup, even the borla s alone with nothing else sounded pretty good.

I'm in PA so I have to keep the cats plus I think it sounds bad without them
Old 3/12/14, 08:30 PM
Cobra Member

As you may or may not know I went from a stainless steel Mag street cat back (2.5" piping) to the Borla S types with the stock over the axle pipes modified to get rid of the flat spots 2.25" piping. I def. lost performance doing so but it wasn't a whole lot. I knew there was gonna be a trade off going with the Borla S types but I can live with that b/c the sound is awesome! Siber Express made a good point your are paying for the quality of the mufflers and the fact that they are stainless steel. The only Borla cat back that has 2.5" piping is the Atak btw. The rest are not worth it IMO. You come out cheaper using your stock pipes since the other cat backs are 2.25" pipes. Check out Maryland speed they might still have a sale on exhaust going on.
Old 3/13/14, 03:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Im thinking BBK shorties, FRPP cut and clamp x pipe and the borla s type catback, ive heard bits and pieces but not the exact setup, even the borla s alone with nothing else sounded pretty good.

I'm in PA so I have to keep the cats plus I think it sounds bad without them
Here is mine, BBK Shorty headers, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe and Borla Tourings, with the S Type you will be a little louder but it will give you an Idea
Old 3/13/14, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

The Borla's are worth every penny. Excellent quality, amazing sound.

I was very apprehensive spending that much just on a set of mufflers...as soon as I installed them and started the car I realized it was worth it.
Old 3/13/14, 07:15 AM
GT Member

That sounds fantastic, now to find out who has it for the lowest cost....
Old 3/13/14, 10:02 AM
Bullitt Member

That sounds fantastic, now to find out who has it for the lowest cost....
I bought the Borla Touring A/B and the lowest prices I found were Maryland Speed and Stage 3.
Old 3/13/14, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Maryland speed or Autoanything.
Old 3/13/14, 01:29 PM

I have been wanting to get axlebacks for the longest time; I'm on a student budget and hence the price tag is holding me back. I have been doing my research for a long time, and this is what 'I' think:

For axle backs: get 'universal' mufflers. They're about 75-85 each, tips another 50-60 a pair.. Total setup with shop labor and what not : $275ish give or take.

If you're like me- on a budget not wanting to spend $700ish on a axle back setup, looking to get a deeper sound, and only little bit louder than stock exhaust - go with Magna flow universal mufflers (offset/offset, 4x9). Theyre pretty mellow.. Unlike roush or straight throw mufflers. The other choice is hooker aero chamber mufflers (21504HKR). Theyre on par with magnaflows.. No drone and they only open up when press the paddle. Personally they're my favorite since they make the exhaust gases flow better.

If you're looking for cat-back performance with a really deep exhaust note: above setup with aerochamber mufflers, and mac pro chamber mid pipe ($310). Google both to get a better idea on what I'm talking about. It is known to increase your low end torque a bit by venting the exhaust gases from a chambered box.. Adding a bit of growl.

Again I haven't tried this setup yet. I'm just speaking on 'theoratical' basis. I could be wrong, and chances are there will be a bunch who won't agree with me
Old 3/13/14, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Jay at Hypermotive gave me an excellent deal, and the customer service is great. I think those guys work 24/7. He's on the forums here, Jay@Hypermotive.
Old 3/13/14, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RubyRedMCA_Beast
Jay at Hypermotive gave me an excellent deal, and the customer service is great. I think those guys work 24/7. He's on the forums here, Jay@Hypermotive.

Thank you sir!!

We can definitely match Stage 3 and Maryland speed's pricing. Let us know if we can help you out!!
Old 3/13/14, 04:31 PM
GT Member

im close enough to drive to AM, or Maryland speed, I live a mile away from CJs also, if any or all match and have it in stock that would be the best. I hate waiting for things once I want them
Old 3/13/14, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I know mine were shipped from the Factory here in Johnson City Tennessee, 2 hour drive for me and pretty close to Bristol Motor Speedway.
Old 3/17/14, 10:29 PM
GT Member

So I pm'ed hypermotive about price matching md speed, yet to hear back

I think ive decided on the borla touring catback, alone I wouldnt bother with it but since im doing bbk shortys along with the FRPP x pipe it has the sound I want and I think the S type with headers and x pipe is a bit more raspy which I dont like

But heres a question say i get it all done and think meh I want S type, can i simply get the axleback and swap the mufflers? Or are the flanges set for stock over axle piping and somehow different?

Last edited by Rodimus_prime; 3/18/14 at 08:23 PM.