Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

BBK shorty ceramic headers and BBK catted x pipe

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/14, 07:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBK shorty ceramic headers and BBK catted x pipe

I have a 2011 v6 mustang and I live in New York State. I'm assuming both of these mods are legal in this state? If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 3/16/14, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't see why they would be illegal. You are still utilizing catalytic converters so the car will still be emission compliant.
Old 3/16/14, 05:06 PM
GT Member

I wanted to be 100% sure. Obviously modifications are not cheap. Didn't want to purchase and install something just to have to have it removed. We all know the saying measure twice, cut once.

Also, didn't know if high flow cats were as effective as stock cats at controlling emissions.
Old 3/16/14, 07:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
I wanted to be 100% sure. Obviously modifications are not cheap. Didn't want to purchase and install something just to have to have it removed. We all know the saying measure twice, cut once.

Also, didn't know if high flow cats were as effective as stock cats at controlling emissions.
Depends, Federal Law still trumps State
When can I install an aftermarket converter?
Generally, there are only 3 situations when you can install an aftermarket converter.
They are:
(1) if the converter is missing from the vehicle when brought in for exhaust
system repair; or
(2) if a State or local inspection program has determined the existing converter
has been lead poisoned, damaged, or otherwise needs replacement; or
(3) if the vehicle is more than 5 years old or has more than 50,000 miles*
(8 years/80,000 miles for 1995 and newer vehicles) and a legitimate need for
replacement has been established and appropriately documented (e.g., a
plugged converter or unrepairable exhaust leaks).
Any other converter replacement must be with a 'certified' or new original equipment (OE)
or equivalent converter
Old 3/16/14, 08:42 PM
GT Member

Is it possible to get an aftermarket cat less mid pipe and to keep the factory cats? Would it even be worth it if it was possible? Seems to me like this law is very loosely followed.
Old 3/17/14, 03:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe on mine, still have the Factory Cats and Resonators. The Cats from today actually flow pretty good and can handle the exhaust flow and any HP or torque gains to me are not worth the hassle.
As for the headers, you are not messing with any of the Emissions so they are basically legal everywhere but California until they get a CARB certification.

Last edited by Siber Express; 3/17/14 at 03:41 AM.
Old 3/17/14, 06:37 AM
GT Member

Gotcha. I talked to a local muffler shop and they said the same exact thing you just told me. He said you are not allowed to touch the cats. Even if for some reason they get damaged, you would have to replace them with stock cats.
Old 3/17/14, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There are a bunch that change them out and don't get caught, but if you have any type of inspection I would not touch them. That is just me, I would get caught even in a state without inspection
Here is what my car sounded like with the BBK Shorties, The FRPP X-Pipe and the Stock Manual Transmission Mufflers.
I wanted a little more sound and it has Borla Touring Mufflers on it now.
Old 3/17/14, 05:34 PM
GT Member

I really like the sound of your setup. New York most definitely has inspection, but I hear with modern vehicles they plug into the computer and get a reading on a lot of things. Who knows, it's not worth getting caught for me so I guess I will just be getting the shortys. Between those and my flowmasters, do you think I will be satisfied with the sound? Especially since today's cats are pretty decent.

Since I can't do anything else to my exhaust I guess I'm done there. Now I'm looking into the BBK throttle body. Already have a CAI and the tuner so the most obvious mods are done. What's your opinion on that.
Old 3/17/14, 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I really like the sound of your setup. New York most definitely has inspection, but I hear with modern vehicles they plug into the computer and get a reading on a lot of things. Who knows, it's not worth getting caught for me so I guess I will just be getting the shortys. Between those and my flowmasters, do you think I will be satisfied with the sound? Especially since today's cats are pretty decent.

Since I can't do anything else to my exhaust I guess I'm done there. Now I'm looking into the BBK throttle body. Already have a CAI and the tuner so the most obvious mods are done. What's your opinion on that.
It is supposed to help with Throttle Response and there are some performance gains from what I have heard, I just wish they were not $400.
Old 3/18/14, 10:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I have the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe on mine, still have the Factory Cats and Resonators. The Cats from today actually flow pretty good and can handle the exhaust flow and any HP or torque gains to me are not worth the hassle. As for the headers, you are not messing with any of the Emissions so they are basically legal everywhere but California until they get a CARB certification.
I was rereading your post. So as long as I keep my factory cats, I can have whatever mid pipe I want? Granted it has to be one that doesn't come with cats obviously.

Also, besides the one you got, is there any other mid pipes that reuse the factory cats? Any h pipes especially?

Last edited by Stacks Warmen; 3/18/14 at 10:21 PM.
Old 3/19/14, 03:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I was rereading your post. So as long as I keep my factory cats, I can have whatever mid pipe I want? Granted it has to be one that doesn't come with cats obviously.

Also, besides the one you got, is there any other mid pipes that reuse the factory cats? Any h pipes especially?
That is the only one I know about.