Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

3.55 gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/14, 08:20 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.55 gear issues

I've had the 3.55 gears installed on my stang about 500 miles ago and just recently installed the FRPP short throw shifter, and when I accelerate hard in second and go to shift hard into third when I put the shifter in third it grinds the gears and sounds horrible and I don't feel like I can get a clean shift with hard acceleration, anyone have any advice or suggestions?
Old 3/29/14, 08:35 PM
Cobra Member

Does the sound seem like it's coming from the gears or transmission. I'm assuming you have the bracket installed with the shifter. Are you sure they are installed correctly? I doubt it's the gears causing the problem.
Old 3/29/14, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah it doesnt sounds like the ring and pinion gears would cause this problem. if the shifter bracket is still the stock one then i would change that out. also try putting in redline mtl fluid in your trans. i put that in mine and its a night and day difference.
Old 3/29/14, 10:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
yeah it doesnt sounds like the ring and pinion gears would cause this problem. if the shifter bracket is still the stock one then i would change that out. also try putting in redline mtl fluid in your trans. i put that in mine and its a night and day difference.
I got the FRPP bracket and shifter installed it's not the shifter, it did this when I had the stock one too, but Where can you find the redline mtl fluid?
Old 3/29/14, 11:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by michael 20
I got the FRPP bracket and shifter installed it's not the shifter, it did this when I had the stock one too, but Where can you find the redline mtl fluid?
mines done it since i bought mine.. well mine doesnt grind but i do miss 3rd under hard throttle sometimes due to the trans not going into gear like it should. youll never really be able to eliminate it but you can greatly reduce it. i bought my redline mtl fluid on amazon. its not very cheap but trust me its worth it.
Old 3/30/14, 02:51 AM
GT Member

mines done it since i bought mine.. well mine doesnt grind but i do miss 3rd under hard throttle sometimes due to the trans not going into gear like it should. youll never really be able to eliminate it but you can greatly reduce it. i bought my redline mtl fluid on amazon. its not very cheap but trust me its worth it.
How much did you have to buy? And where did you get it installed?
Old 3/30/14, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

How much did you have to buy? And where did you get it installed?
i dont remember how much i had to buy but i know i have a full bottle that i didnt need and i put it in myself. i do everything 2 my car myself but putting the fluid in is pretty straight forward. you drain the old out through the drain plug, put the drain plug back in, and then fill it up through the fill plug. ill look up how much they take on alldata.com tomorrow and like you know.
Old 4/1/14, 01:29 AM
GT Member

i dont remember how much i had to buy but i know i have a full bottle that i didnt need and i put it in myself. i do everything 2 my car myself but putting the fluid in is pretty straight forward. you drain the old out through the drain plug, put the drain plug back in, and then fill it up through the fill plug. ill look up how much they take on alldata.com tomorrow and like you know.
It's all good, I got redline mtl 70w80 on amazon it's coming in tomorrow! Is this the right fluid to get? Will it let me shift at lot quicker?
Old 4/1/14, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's all good, I got redline mtl 70w80 on amazon it's coming in tomorrow! Is this the right fluid to get? Will it let me shift at lot quicker?
yep thats it. i believe all of the redline's mtl fluid is 70w80. im not so sure about shifting quicker with it although it probably does make it so you can shift faster but it mainly makes it less notchy feeling and more smother feeling. before i put it in i would almost always miss 3rd and after i put it in i have only missed a gear maybe twice and that was because i let off of the clutch before the gear was fully in. when i did miss a gear it was when i was trying out shifting different ways to be faster and it was mainly 4th gear while on the drag strip. you can also try the whiteline trans mount on american muscle. it says it only for the gt and boss but i bought it and it works perfect on my v6. it helps out a lot with being able to shift faster since the shifters on these cars are a remote shifter and the stock bushing is 2 soft and allows the transmission to twist under load. when it does this the shift points no longer line up. basically after you let off the throttle and push the clutch in the transmission wont line up with the next gear till the transmission is back where its suppose to be. i suck at explaining stuff so if it doesnt make sense im sorry haha.
Old 4/2/14, 12:26 AM
GT Member

yep thats it. i believe all of the redline's mtl fluid is 70w80. im not so sure about shifting quicker with it although it probably does make it so you can shift faster but it mainly makes it less notchy feeling and more smother feeling. before i put it in i would almost always miss 3rd and after i put it in i have only missed a gear maybe twice and that was because i let off of the clutch before the gear was fully in. when i did miss a gear it was when i was trying out shifting different ways to be faster and it was mainly 4th gear while on the drag strip. you can also try the whiteline trans mount on american muscle. it says it only for the gt and boss but i bought it and it works perfect on my v6. it helps out a lot with being able to shift faster since the shifters on these cars are a remote shifter and the stock bushing is 2 soft and allows the transmission to twist under load. when it does this the shift points no longer line up. basically after you let off the throttle and push the clutch in the transmission wont line up with the next gear till the transmission is back where its suppose to be. i suck at explaining stuff so if it doesnt make sense im sorry haha.
No I know what you mean, I always feel like that's the issue but I got the FRPP short throw shifter and bracket and it's really notchy and stiff, I'm hoping the redline will make it smoother
Old 4/2/14, 05:12 PM
GT Member

Alright, I got the redline put in and still when I go to shift into 3rd it doesn't go in smoothly and I feel like it's grinding but the clutch is fully engaged. I'm not really sure what the problem is. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 4/2/14, 05:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Alright, I got the redline put in and still when I go to shift into 3rd it doesn't go in smoothly and I feel like it's grinding but the clutch is fully engaged. I'm not really sure what the problem is. Anyone have any other suggestions?
im very surprised that didnt help it. i noticed a HUGE improvement when i put it in mine. but you could try the whiteline trans mount bushing like i said before. are you sure its not just that you arent giving it enough time to go into gear before letting off of the clutch though?
Old 4/2/14, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

heres a link for it on american muscle although it can be found a tad cheaper on ebay. http://www.americanmuscle.com/whitel...-kit-1114.html
Old 4/2/14, 06:05 PM
Cobra Member

It's still under the 3/36 warranty? I would go see the dealer and let them take a look at it. Doesn't cost you anything.
Old 4/3/14, 12:55 AM
GT Member

im very surprised that didnt help it. i noticed a HUGE improvement when i put it in mine. but you could try the whiteline trans mount bushing like i said before. are you sure its not just that you arent giving it enough time to go into gear before letting off of the clutch though?
It has nothing to do with me letting out the clutch too fast, I'm just saying when I put the shifter into third gear it will grind when I'm putting it in and sounds horrible