Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

2013 convertible 3.7 automatic gears

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/19, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 convertible 3.7 automatic gears

Hey guys,

I have a 2013 3.7L v6 automatic Convertible. I have had this car for about 4 years and I have 95k on it now. The car has the stock 2.73 rear gears on it. The car has always been incredibly slow to get up to speed, and when I bought it I didn't understand much. In other words bad acceleration. I have done numerous things to try to correct this over the years...

- I have an aftermarket cold air intake.
- I have a pedal commander to improve the throttle body response
- and I have a Bama tune from American Muscle.

None of these things have really improved the acceleration on this car and after reading, people say that I should swap out my rear end gears.

So I have some questions. I called some places and they recommended that I put in the 3.73gears to make the car more fun without gas mileage taking a big hit.

1) How much will this affect my gas mileage? I'm getting about 20mpg combined driving around Long Island NY with the stock 2.73gears.

2) Will my car get less traction if I do this. As this is my daily driver it still needs to have traction in rain and snow.

3) Will it make the car accelerate smoother then the 2.73 gears or will it be jerky as if there is less throttle delay?

I made an appointment to do the gears on Friday the 26th. I really want to know if I'm doing the right thing before I go through with it. Please give me some feedback on this.

Thanks all! Looking forward to your responses.

Old 4/20/19, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
1) Yes on the Highway you will get less but might get more in town
2) No, you will just have to hit the throttle easier.
3) It will shift faster, 1st gear will be non existent when you accelerate.
I myself would do 3.55's but I don't drag race and the 3.55's are a better road gear for Carving Corners in the Mountains.
Old 4/21/19, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siber Express
1) Yes on the Highway you will get less but might get more in town
2) No, you will just have to hit the throttle easier.
3) It will shift faster, 1st gear will be non existent when you accelerate.
I myself would do 3.55's but I don't drag race and the 3.55's are a better road gear for Carving Corners in the Mountains.
Thanks for your response. I live on flat land on Long Island and don't use this car much in the hills or mountains but if I do that is something to consider. I do worry that the 3.73 could be too much of a jump from the 2.73. I don't want the car to be too jerky or out of control I just want it to have a good balance of acceleration, horsepower, and control. The other thing that concerns me is the driveshaft. I have been told that these cars have a 115mph limiter and that is based on the stock gears. If I upgrade the gears and now have more spin in the RPM does that lower the limiter?
Old 4/22/19, 05:15 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
It's me again. I'm on 10 Mustang Forums . If your just getting 20 MPG with your 2.73 gears, I would think you have something else going on. Have you changed your sparkplugs yet? Have you cleaned your 'throttle body' lately? Just wondering...…………………..
Old 4/22/19, 07:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabberBlueGuy
Thanks for your response. I live on flat land on Long Island and don't use this car much in the hills or mountains but if I do that is something to consider. I do worry that the 3.73 could be too much of a jump from the 2.73. I don't want the car to be too jerky or out of control I just want it to have a good balance of acceleration, horsepower, and control. The other thing that concerns me is the driveshaft. I have been told that these cars have a 115mph limiter and that is based on the stock gears. If I upgrade the gears and now have more spin in the RPM does that lower the limiter?
Limiter is off the Speedo so it would be the same, I would still consider upgrading the driveshaft.