Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Upgrading standard 11' GT rotors to x-drilled, slotted or both, benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/12, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading standard 11' GT rotors to x-drilled, slotted or both, benefits?

What kind of benefits do you see with x-drilled, slotted or both? I am wanting to find some nice new rotors that have the rotor hat coated so that I dont have the ugly rust showing and figure I might as well upgrade the rotor type and pads.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 3/2/12, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is mostly for show. You'll find that people that actually open track their cars don't run slotted or drilled rotors. Those slots and drills reduce sinking mass and also provide crack prone areas.

You won't see any difference in stopping power going to a slotted or drilled rotor over what you currently have.

If you want better stopping performance, you need to go with a pad compound with more bite and a stickier tire.
Old 3/2/12, 08:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be going with TPS drilled/slotted rotors when I do mine. They are made by centric, are zinc coated so the rotor hat wont rust and look awesome.

I don't track much at all, and think the drilled/slotted rotors look amazing.

http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/mustan...-set-of-4.html
Old 3/2/12, 10:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmounce
This is mostly for show. You'll find that people that actually open track their cars don't run slotted or drilled rotors. Those slots and drills reduce sinking mass and also provide crack prone areas.

You won't see any difference in stopping power going to a slotted or drilled rotor over what you currently have.

If you want better stopping performance, you need to go with a pad compound with more bite and a stickier tire.
This.
Old 3/2/12, 10:37 PM
GT Member

I have slotted rotors on my Marauder with EBC red stuff pads, dirlled/slotted on my Mustang with factory pads (I have a set of Hawk pads to install) I agree that the pads are what make the difference, the slotted/drilled are more for looks. They actually make more noise when stopping, they tend to make a kind of whistling sound. I have used drilled/slotted rotors for years on different types of vehicles (Explorer, Edge sport, Mustang) and have never had any of them crack although I have read that the drilled rotors can crack.

I had a 2003 Explorer sport with 20" cobra r's and installed EBC green stuff pads with drilled/slotted rotors and noticed a big difference in stopping power, same with my 09 Edge Sport with 22" factory wheels, (the Edge had poor factory braking and it was much improved) I really have not noticed any difference in my Mustang but I still have the stock pads. I will say the the zinc coating holds up very well.
Old 3/3/12, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
I'll be going with TPS drilled/slotted rotors when I do mine. They are made by centric, are zinc coated so the rotor hat wont rust and look awesome.

I don't track much at all, and think the drilled/slotted rotors look amazing.

http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/mustan...-set-of-4.html
did u go black gold or silver zinc? can you share a picture? I'm thinking of going black zinc on these because after the pads will wear the zinc it will show black holes and black slots, i think it would look sweet
Old 3/3/12, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickt916

did u go black gold or silver zinc? can you share a picture? I'm thinking of going black zinc on these because after the pads will wear the zinc it will show black holes and black slots, i think it would look sweet
I didn't buy them yet. But will go black
Old 3/3/12, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nickt916

Oh good point on the wear and how the black will stay in the holes and slots, that is badassery