Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Is tuning REALLY necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/11, 02:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking

I read so much bs on the internet... So many ppl that don't understand how the computer system operates on these cars...
Have you actually tuned cars? I believe I read where you work on them. Also, are you familiar with all of the protection mechanisms in the PCM that controls the 5.0L engine?

I am not trying to be a jerk but rather understand the basis for your comment.
Old 12/28/11, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cai only require a tune when they come equipped with a larger maf. So your comment is false.

Exactly why I said some CAI's come with an insert to run without a tune. So no I was not false.

If they do not have a no tune insert that limits the amount of air into the maf, then they require a tune.
Old 12/28/11, 02:49 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso

Have you actually tuned cars? I believe I read where you work on them. Also, are you familiar with all of the protection mechanisms in the PCM that controls the 5.0L engine?

I am not trying to be a jerk but rather understand the basis for your comment.
When I was messing with Chevrolets I used a program called efilive. It was a custom tuning program for gm vehicles so to answer your question yes I have done custom tuning. Not on Fords though. But they are pretty much identical.

I am a technician at a Ford dealership and I'm specializing in electronics and electrical.

And the protection the 5.0 Pcm has already been bypassed. It's the flash counter that you have to watch for.
Old 12/28/11, 02:50 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by LEwis26

Exactly why I said some CAI's come with an insert to run without a tune. So no I was not false.

If they do not have a no tune insert that limits the amount of air into the maf, then they require a tune.
Again no... They make Cai that do not require a tune and do not come with a insert.. bbk for example.
Old 12/28/11, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again no... They make Cai that do not require a tune and do not come with a insert.. bbk for example.
Agree! The MAF housing is same as stock that's why. Inserts are for larger MAF housing cai's so they let in only stock allotted air flow. If MAF housing is larger than stock without insert tune is required.
Old 12/28/11, 03:06 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
There really is not much reason for a larger MAF unless TB and intake have been replaced. The larger MAF was something that was done on the old foxes that would only trick the PCM into letting more air in naturally. Bigger injectors more fuel etc. Just doesn't work like that any more.
Old 12/28/11, 03:07 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Hate to burst everyones bubble... But a factory maf will draw in the same amount of air as an aftermarket maf of larger size. On a naturally asperated engine at least.
Old 12/28/11, 03:09 PM

Hate to burst everyones bubble... But a factory maf will draw in the same amount of air as an aftermarket maf of larger size. On a naturally asperated engine at least.
That was not the case in the foxes. That's why they worked. The newer mustangs don't really gain anything from it.
Old 12/28/11, 03:11 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by AlsCobra

That was not the case in the foxes. That's why they worked. The newer mustangs don't really gain anything from it.
I'm talking obd2 here. I don't have any mustang pre obd2
Old 12/28/11, 03:32 PM

I'm talking obd2 here. I don't have any mustang pre obd2
Which most of the new MAF's are not restrictive at all. But aftermarket will sell you one that really produces no gains for a premium $. The world is full suckers.
Old 12/28/11, 03:36 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by AlsCobra

Which most of the new MAF's are not restrictive at all. But aftermarket will sell you one that really produces no gains for a premium $. The world is full suckers.
Yeah.. ppl will buy it... Kinda like throttle body spaces and that g force chip scam...
Old 12/28/11, 03:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres really no point in running a CAI without a tune anyways.

Some people with the bbk have reported worse performance and gas milage, and the airaid gains are not worth it for the cost without a tune.

The stock intake is already very efficient.
Old 12/28/11, 03:44 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Theres really no point in running a CAI without a tune anyways.

Some people with the bbk have reported worse performance and gas milage, and the airaid gains are not worth it for the cost without a tune.

The stock intake is already very efficient.
There you go! The factory intake already pulls air out of the fender well. How can you get colder air from an intake that gets air from the engine bay?

And you really don't need an intake at all. A tune will net you the same Hp gains as a Cai and tune combo.
Old 12/28/11, 04:10 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There you go! The factory intake already pulls air out of the fender well. How can you get colder air from an intake that gets air from the engine bay?

And you really don't need an intake at all. A tune will net you the same Hp gains as a Cai and tune combo.
That's why you need a hood liner made for the CAI.

As for a tune giving you as much as no CAI, that contradicts the proven results from cold air.
Old 12/28/11, 04:48 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by cdynaco

That's why you need a hood liner made for the CAI.

As for a tune giving you as much as no CAI, that contradicts the proven results from cold air.
Being the factory intake gets the air from the same place as the cai how much colder air can you be getting?
Old 12/28/11, 04:55 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well mines not an airbox. The seal matches the hood liner so you can use the open style element. And it comes in from the front instead of a hot wheel well.
So an aftermarket open element CAI without a hood liner seal is defeating the purpose.
But I would think that (true) cold air + a tune is going to yield better HP than just a tune.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/28/11 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12/28/11, 05:07 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Well mines not an airbox. The seal matches the hood liner so you can use the open style element. And it comes in from the front instead of a hot wheel well.
So an aftermarket open element CAI without a hood liner seal is defeating the purpose.
But I would think that (true) cold air + a tune is going to yield better HP than just a tune.
My bad. I'm thinking pre 5.0 intake. Still the factory airbus is quite efficient.
Old 12/28/11, 06:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
There you go! The factory intake already pulls air out of the fender well.
I thought that the 2010+ airboxes are actually pulling air from the front grille.
Old 12/28/11, 08:13 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso

I thought that the 2010+ airboxes are actually pulling air from the front grille.
Yes. But I was thinking about my mustang. I forgot we were talking about new mustang.
Old 12/28/11, 10:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

This thread reminds me of when I told the fiancée I want a super charger and she asked is it necessary? I answered no.....but it's a lot of fun!

Quick Reply: Is tuning REALLY necessary?