Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Is tuning REALLY necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/11, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is tuning REALLY necessary?

Hey guys,

I'm new to posting to this forum, but I've been doing a lot of reading and I have a question that I've seen mentioned by some, but not fully addressed.

Is it really necessary to have your car tuned after relatively minor performance mods - cai, exhaust, headers, etc.?

I understand that you'll see better hp and tq gains by also loading a tune, and some of the cai's come with "required" tunes, but I've never understood why it was deemed "required."

I'm ordering a 2013 Mustang GT Premium in the next couple weeks (once prices are released), and I plan on doing headers and full exhaust and maybe a cai, but I don't want to go away from the stock tune. Eventually I'm going to supercharge it, at which point I'll have it dyno tuned, but what's the point before then?

I hope this hasn't been answered before, but I haven't been able to find the answer.
Old 12/27/11, 10:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes tunes are required for some mods.

CAI's require tunes because they put more air into the engine, and the MAF is programmed for the stock amount of air, so it will not run correctly without a tune. Some CAI have inserts that can be used without tunes though.

Exhausts can be put on without tunes, but headers will usually require a tune because of the cat delete or high flow cats.
Old 12/27/11, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Yes tunes are required for some mods.

CAI's require tunes because they put more air into the engine, and the MAF is programmed for the stock amount of air, so it will not run correctly without a tune. Some CAI have inserts that can be used without tunes though.

Exhausts can be put on without tunes, but headers will usually require a tune because of the cat delete or high flow cats.
Yeah, I understand why it should be tuned, I just doubt that it is necessary in order for the car to run with A/F within limits. For instance, I'm looking to do Stainless Works headers with high-flow cats and retro-chambered exhaust. I've seen videos of this set-up without a tune, and doubt it needs anything more than the CEL reset (if it bugs you that much).
Old 12/27/11, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mikey

Yeah, I understand why it should be tuned, I just doubt that it is necessary in order for the car to run with A/F within limits. For instance, I'm looking to do Stainless Works headers with high-flow cats and retro-chambered exhaust. I've seen videos of this set-up without a tune, and doubt it needs anything more than the CEL reset (if it bugs you that much).
Full exhaust does not require a tune to run the car but it will run sluggish with out tune . With a tune the car will run 100% better. As far as cai all of the worth while brands that run larger MAF housing will require a tune to run with out problems. If car runs rich it ok if it runs too lean chances of burning up ur motor are there.
Old 12/27/11, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why would you spend all that money and not get a tune? The car will run 100% better with one. Do it right the first time.
Old 12/27/11, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
Why would you spend all that money and not get a tune? The car will run 100% better with one. Do it right the first time.
That's why I'm asking, I was just trying to be able to do the mods I want that don't necessitate a custom tune. Also, I have a feeling my dealer wants me to supercharge it (my original plans), instead of doing other mods that I'd be more inclined to take somewhere else.

I appreciate you guys responding. I think I'm leaning towards not having the dealer do anything, and taking the car to Brenspeed once I take delivery.
Old 12/27/11, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
This Ford Racing article describes interesting information about measuring horsepower and tuning.
Old 12/27/11, 04:22 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The CAI is pretty much the only thing that you have to have a tune for and the car will NOT run with out it. It will go into limp mode and need towing. The CAI+tune is worth 30hp and I wouldnt really call that minor.

Last edited by Flagstang; 12/27/11 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12/27/11, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

That's why I'm asking, I was just trying to be able to do the mods I want that don't necessitate a custom tune. Also, I have a feeling my dealer wants me to supercharge it (my original plans), instead of doing other mods that I'd be more inclined to take somewhere else.

I appreciate you guys responding. I think I'm leaning towards not having the dealer do anything, and taking the car to Brenspeed once I take delivery.
I would be very careful with bernspeed read a few horror story's about them blowing motors and leaving there customers high and dry!
Old 12/27/11, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bmeline916
I would be very careful with bernspeed read a few horror story's about them blowing motors and leaving there customers high and dry!
Well that sucks! Brenspeed and Livernois are the only two that I know of close enough to drive to from Indy for a dyno tune...
Old 12/27/11, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think Brenspeed has a pretty solid reputation.
Old 12/28/11, 12:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench

I think Brenspeed has a pretty solid reputation.
Yes but still left there customers high and dry with blown motors! IMO I would go with livernois
Old 12/28/11, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes but still left there customers high and dry with blown motors! IMO I would go with livernois
Well whoever I decide to go with, it won't be an aggressive tune so I'm sure I would be safe.
Old 12/28/11, 08:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm ordering a 2013 Mustang GT Premium in the next couple weeks (once prices are released), and I plan on doing headers and full exhaust and maybe a cai, but I don't want to go away from the stock tune.

By the way, why did you want to stay with the stock tune?
Old 12/28/11, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
By the way, why did you want to stay with the stock tune?
I just figured as soon as I start tuning, it's easier for the dealership to "prove" or lie and say the tune caused a failure if I ever have a warranty issue... Just trying to get it exactly the way I want it, and still have peace of mind.
Old 12/28/11, 10:43 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you cannot have it both ways when it comes to fun parts and warranty.
Old 12/28/11, 10:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You gotta pay to play.

Don't tune unless you have the cash to drop on a crate motor if things go wrong.
Old 12/28/11, 11:14 AM
FR500 Member

There is a post in the thread on Kooks long tube headers for the Boss, where someone had spoken to an engineer who had said the only real power they left on the table was not installing long tube headers. LTs can give impressive gains and don't require a tune.
Old 12/28/11, 11:36 AM
V6 Member

Yes but Brenspeed still left there customers high and dry with blown motors! IMO I would go with livernois
Easy enough to state without facts. Just saying...

I've been there and had my 06 GT engine rebuilt by them over two years ago and I've dogged on it every day since with zero issues.
Old 12/28/11, 11:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
You gotta pay to play.

Don't tune unless you have the cash to drop on a crate motor if things go wrong.
Originally Posted by PTRocks
There is a post in the thread on Kooks long tube headers for the Boss, where someone had spoken to an engineer who had said the only real power they left on the table was not installing long tube headers. LTs can give impressive gains and don't require a tune.
I'm just thinking headers/full exhaust for the first year or two... then supercharger after that... I think I'm going to have my dealer install the headers/exhaust and see about resetting the CEL so if anything else is going on I'll know before it's too late... Salesman warned me about low end torque loss with headers though, so who knows... I've got a few months til it gets delivered...

Quick Reply: Is tuning REALLY necessary?