Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

tunes gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/11, 12:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05-1947
I has nothing to do with the with the hardware (Diablo or SCT).
Agreed
Old 5/11/11, 08:32 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 05-1947
I has nothing to do with the with the hardware (Diablo or SCT).
Posted in another thread, it appears that the tuners out there are reverting back to OEM knock sensor settings to prevent this from happening again. So, tuners looked to have been too aggressive by not allowing the ECU to retard timing (enough) when detonation was being detected.
Old 5/11/11, 10:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the lips of a Tuner.

The reason the cylinders let loose are not KS caused. Its Cheap Gas, not running the correct octane for the boost. Or simply the tunes were run slightly lean and used basic value files instead of actual dyno driven tunes.

The Knock Sensor senativity was not changed the ability to pull global knock or individual knock. Ford says #8 does get heard as well for Knock if it exist and to leave the KS in global knock status meaning 1 cylinder knocks, Spark gets pulled on all cylinders instead of spark being pulled at individual cylinders.

Solution...... Don't get knock. Run 93 from a Shell or Sunoco. Other solution. Race Track, Race Gas , Race Tune..... Run Octane while beating the car at the track.

I would have to send out over 500 tune updates. As I have had no one Blow up. I also don't run as much overall spark as some other shops and I run the cars Commanded Fuel Richer.

Also I suspect the cars that had these # 8 pistons fail... I bet if you really opened up the whole picture the cars were being Beat hard and the #8 piston oil squitter is comprimised and not cooling the piston.
Old 5/11/11, 07:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
From the lips of a Tuner.

The reason the cylinders let loose are not KS caused. Its Cheap Gas, not running the correct octane for the boost. Or simply the tunes were run slightly lean and used basic value files instead of actual dyno driven tunes.

The Knock Sensor senativity was not changed the ability to pull global knock or individual knock. Ford says #8 does get heard as well for Knock if it exist and to leave the KS in global knock status meaning 1 cylinder knocks, Spark gets pulled on all cylinders instead of spark being pulled at individual cylinders.

Solution...... Don't get knock. Run 93 from a Shell or Sunoco. Other solution. Race Track, Race Gas , Race Tune..... Run Octane while beating the car at the track.

I would have to send out over 500 tune updates. As I have had no one Blow up. I also don't run as much overall spark as some other shops and I run the cars Commanded Fuel Richer.

Also I suspect the cars that had these # 8 pistons fail... I bet if you really opened up the whole picture the cars were being Beat hard and the #8 piston oil squitter is comprimised and not cooling the piston.
was that off another site or a pm you sent to a tuner company? if it was another site can you post a link to it. thanks
Old 5/12/11, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

internet hype.
Old 5/13/11, 12:56 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How many people have come back with this issue on a supercharged engine?
As far as I've read these are all tune related (with mild mods)
All the reported issues come from the same piston locations.

These engines can obviously take the power...
How you make it, THAT is what I'd be concerned with.

Problem with new engines, some people have to play the guinea pigs to the tuners.
Attached Thumbnails tunes gone wrong-tuning.jpg  

Last edited by Boomer; 5/13/11 at 03:38 PM.
Old 5/13/11, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Posted in another thread, it appears that the tuners out there are reverting back to OEM knock sensor settings to prevent this from happening again. So, tuners looked to have been too aggressive by not allowing the ECU to retard timing (enough) when detonation was being detected.
What does this have to do with my quote in your post? My comment about the hardware was in response to someone stating they will be going with Diablosport over SCT..... of which again the hardware (type of handheld) is not the problem.
Old 5/15/11, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

this is a datalog of mine. both banks. and spark advance.

nothing in this tune will cause a failure.
Old 5/15/11, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
How many people have come back with this issue on a supercharged engine?
As far as I've read these are all tune related (with mild mods)
All the reported issues come from the same piston locations.

These engines can obviously take the power...
How you make it, THAT is what I'd be concerned with.

Problem with new engines, some people have to play the guinea pigs to the tuners.
Some people have determined that this is purely a ring failure, as detonation would have caused distortion of the piston as well, not just a simple crack in the ring - this seems to indicate it is not a tune error, but a manufacturer error.
Old 5/15/11, 09:54 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
Some people have determined that this is purely a ring failure, as detonation would have caused distortion of the piston as well, not just a simple crack in the ring - this seems to indicate it is not a tune error, but a manufacturer error.
I have to agree with this. It looks like a clean break without any other circumspect damage.
Old 5/15/11, 10:11 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I have to agree with this. It looks like a clean break without any other circumspect damage.
I'll believe that when I see one fail on the stock tune
Old 5/15/11, 10:11 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm sticking to casting problem, why #8 if it's a tune issue? look how clean that piston is and how nicely that chunk snapped off I just can't see this being a tune problem and those who claim it's a tune problem you would have to tell me why it's just #8? and why are there no signs of detonation.
Old 5/15/11, 10:38 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by fdjizm
I'm sticking to casting problem, why #8 if it's a tune issue? look how clean that piston is and how nicely that chunk snapped off I just can't see this being a tune problem and those who claim it's a tune problem you would have to tell me why it's just #8? and why are there no signs of detonation.
Good point.
Seems like that other thread mentioned more than one 5.0 having the #8 fail. That hole is subject to more heat, and it was thrown out there that maybe the #8 (piston cooling) oil squirter is starved under load - which would be surprising with the huge pan capacity and the baffles. But if true, with the higher compression, and a hotter piston than the others, perhaps that is beyond what the stock (plastic metal ) piston can take. I would think even moreso if you were pushing it on and off, on and off... and that particular casting was at its limit.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/16/11 at 12:34 PM.
Old 5/15/11, 10:49 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
While I can certainly agree that in one or more cases this could be entirely possible, not saying it is....

But
Those darn #8 rings...guess #1 through 7 were done right.
Old 5/15/11, 10:53 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Boomer
...guess #1 through 7 were done right.

"Well boys - we hit our 87.5% minimum quota - looks like we get that bonus!! Good job!!!"

Old 5/15/11, 11:12 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Come on guys the proof is already in front of you. If Ford had any idea it wasn't their fault they would never have replaced a single one of these motors. And we all know that. Right Boomer?

Old 5/16/11, 08:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Some interesting (and some not so interesting) conversation going on about this at allfordmustangs.com.

It seems that some tuners have messed with the stock knock sensor paramaters...though most have claimed that their tunes don't involve this. This maaaayy be relevant though nobody knows (of course).

The problem that I see coming down the road is that with any tuned car, both Ford and the tuner have plausible deniability and the customer is left to grab their ankles and take it.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...take-dump.html
Old 5/16/11, 08:20 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Some interesting (and some not so interesting) conversation going on about this at allfordmustangs.com.

It seems that some tuners have messed with the stock knock sensor paramaters...though most have claimed that their tunes don't involve this. This maaaayy be relevant though nobody knows (of course).

The problem that I see coming down the road is that with any tuned car, both Ford and the tuner have plausible deniability and the customer is left to grab their ankles and take it.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...take-dump.html
I wouldn't be surprised.
Just saying that it would be a bunch of things, and I'm not counting out an issue with parts....
but... if its the same position in every complaint, they've all had tunes, and there are cars putting out more power without this issue...

Kinda makes you wonder.
Old 5/16/11, 08:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Makes you wonder why you could do this all day with 3v's? lol
Old 5/16/11, 11:58 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
This isnt the place to take this political which also includes union discussion. Keep it on subject and it will stay open.

Quick Reply: tunes gone wrong