Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

tunes gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/11, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Truer words have never been spoken. Tuners have slammed us before for running our tunes as rich as we did from day 1 and now people are waking up and taking notice. About time.
Gus,
Thanks for the great advice, tunes, suspension parts, wheels, and power package. The car is freaking awesome! And the sun came out today so it'll be burn-out city tonight. These NT05 tires are melting away fast. I am going to get some new pics of the car to upload with the suspension installed. It rides like a train on rails.

Old 5/28/11, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by SteedaGus

Truer words have never been spoken. Tuners have slammed us before for running our tunes as rich as we did from day 1 and now people are waking up and taking notice. About time.

Although there is more power there than just 10 to 15hp and still keep safety. Thats the only thing I disagree with.
Gus I just bought a tune and long tubes cold air and short shifter and coming to you guys for coil over and wheels in a month. And all I have to say is wow 8-0 lol car runs and sound like a race car ! Great job very pleased and nothing but the best service from you and Don.
Old 5/31/11, 12:03 PM
Cobra Member

Good to hear! I'll pass your feedback on to Don as well!
Old 6/22/11, 06:19 PM

no:8 piston

hello guys
i would like to no ? if it's a tune problem how come every piston i find busted at the ring setting is in the same place and with the same exact size broke out and if you line the pictures up they are broke in the same exact place crack for crack ? i just pulled no:8 piston out of my engine and matched it to every piston picture on the internet that i can find and they are exact match. if it's the tuner doing this, then there are some really smart tunes. to no were to brake no:8 in the same exact place and same side. i'm in the prosses right now on taking ford to court. i'm looking to purchase a piston out of somebody elses car to take to court with me to show the problem. and i bet ford refunds them people who has purchased new motors. for more information on my case email me:
mrdew2852@cs.com or if you would like to sell me your old piston.
thanks guys
Old 6/22/11, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mrdew2852
hello guys
i would like to no ? if it's a tune problem how come every piston i find busted at the ring setting is in the same place and with the same exact size broke out and if you line the pictures up they are broke in the same exact place crack for crack ? i just pulled no:8 piston out of my engine and matched it to every piston picture on the internet that i can find and they are exact match. if it's the tuner doing this, then there are some really smart tunes. to no were to brake no:8 in the same exact place and same side. i'm in the prosses right now on taking ford to court. i'm looking to purchase a piston out of somebody elses car to take to court with me to show the problem. and i bet ford refunds them people who has purchased new motors. for more information on my case email me:
mrdew2852@cs.com or if you would like to sell me your old piston.
thanks guys
If you tune the car its not really Fords problem.
Old 6/22/11, 06:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Mrdrew,
Any engine will have an area that is consistently hotter than another. It's rational to think at when you start to run the whole motor leaner and or disable the knock sensor, that this is the area that suffers failure first because it happens to statistically be the hottest cylinder in the coyote design.

Good luck with your lawsuit.
Old 6/22/11, 07:49 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
If you tune the car its not really Fords problem.
Agreed x100.

Unfortunately, gotta pay to play my friend

Also, unless you have a hook-up on a lawyer or have lots of free time to invest in the lawsuit I'd suggest you drop the case because IMO you won't win. I know on the surface it seems clear cut to you, but unless you understand some of the engineering behind these motors you don't truly know why it failed. There could be other factors at play

If you want to continue the suit anyways, there are several wrecked 5.0's that you might be able to get a piston out of

Last edited by stangfoeva; 6/22/11 at 08:41 PM.
Old 6/22/11, 10:24 PM
V6 Member

I can't even believe you guys responded to that guy. The whole thing sounds like those email scams. Somethings fishy.
Old 6/22/11, 10:34 PM
Cobra Member

Certain tunes (good ones) aren't even messing with the knock sensors. Steeda 93 and 87 turned my car into a raped ape. I wouldn't have a GT without my tune.
Old 6/23/11, 12:13 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
Certain tunes (good ones) aren't even messing with the knock sensors. Steeda 93 and 87 turned my car into a raped ape. I wouldn't have a GT without my tune.
and those kind will be the only ones I ever put on my car.
Old 6/23/11, 05:40 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
Totally agree, tried 3 tunes, sticking with Steeda. Going to do a Boss intake and tune from Steeda after I upgrade these brakes and headers.
Old 3/27/12, 10:36 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
my 2012 gt has pypes super exhaust ,,i just put cats back on ,,jlt intake , jlt custom tune ,,3.73's . my problem is idle is eratic ..i looked for vacum leaks , i tuned car back to stock then imeadiately reloaded tune.bbr tune guy was gone last fri so i had jlt make me a tune for sct i bought from craiglist .it hovers at 600 to 800 rpm ,,then unexpectedly will drop to almost 0 rpm ..im thinking it was a loose cai i went back over it all ..seems to do better , but if im a long straight i can coast with clutch in and it will do it again ..what gives . Could an exhaust leak cause this maybe,,i checked it too can find no leaks ..then thought maybe it was a losse maf but its in there snug (dont wanna break it)its almost gotta be the tune,,Gus at steeda lol if u wanna donate another tune to a hardworking family man ,,feel free lol ,,i cant figure it out

Last edited by dlc1; 3/27/12 at 10:40 PM.
Old 3/28/12, 06:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dlc1
my 2012 gt has pypes super exhaust ,,i just put cats back on ,,jlt intake , jlt custom tune ,,3.73's . my problem is idle is eratic ..i looked for vacum leaks , i tuned car back to stock then imeadiately reloaded tune.bbr tune guy was gone last fri so i had jlt make me a tune for sct i bought from craiglist .it hovers at 600 to 800 rpm ,,then unexpectedly will drop to almost 0 rpm ..im thinking it was a loose cai i went back over it all ..seems to do better , but if im a long straight i can coast with clutch in and it will do it again ..what gives . Could an exhaust leak cause this maybe,,i checked it too can find no leaks ..then thought maybe it was a losse maf but its in there snug (dont wanna break it)its almost gotta be the tune,,Gus at steeda lol if u wanna donate another tune to a hardworking family man ,,feel free lol ,,i cant figure it out
I can try and help you narrow down if it is mechanical or not. Now with what you mentioned here just to be sure are you saying you did or did not have an exhaust leak? Exhaust problems can cause erratic issues as well. The 02's on these cars are wide bands so their proper function is critical and exhaust leaks can disturb this.
Old 3/28/12, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by dlc1
Was your tune made for no cats? if it was and you put them back on it might cause some problems
Old 3/28/12, 09:43 PM
GT Member

cats are back on and i had tune made for cats being back on ,,weird thing ,,i drove it 50 miles to work today and 50 back ,,it threw a p0300 code ,,and it ran great ,,..i cleared code and soon as i can ,,im getting a new tune
Old 3/30/12, 06:32 PM
GT Member

ok i take a vacation day go to tire shop and we rebalance all my wheels and i ask if we can check exhaust ,,where cats met h pipe both sides leaking ,,fixd this and idle surge became worse .also got a LEAN code . po something - so i call BBr get a tune ,Shazam..its fixed idles stays at about 900 at idle and when clutch in drops immeadiately as it should to 5 or 600 ..i knew it had to be tune ..i just took it on a 50 mile trek looking for camaros and vettes lol ,,its great ,,if truth be told ..JLT tune might have flowed better and had a tad more hp , but the bbr tune works its constant and just runs great . what good is all that power if u cant stand to drive it,or cant afford the gas .
Im just glad its fixed.

Last edited by dlc1; 3/30/12 at 08:00 PM.
Old 8/17/12, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Question

Originally Posted by blk5.0
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...kryponite.html

anyone else have this happen to them? any tuners shed some light on this to put some mids at ease.
If tunes are a risky solution and CAI not a big hp difference.
What other hp or torque solutions are available for the 5.0 that are not considered risky for the engine or other drivetrain component?
Old 8/17/12, 06:18 PM
V6 Member

Not much you can do to increase horsepower now days that doesn't involve a tune. If you want to go faster without tuning you're kinda left with the tried and true less weight and better grip approach.
Old 8/18/12, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Blackbeard, I think I will remain with a stock engine, for me does not worth the risk of a damaged engine or to loss my engine since is my DD. I will only focus toward suspension improvement and to see how can I lower the weight of the car.
Old 8/18/12, 06:53 PM
GT Member

That's what I did. Lowered, wheels, exhaust, splitters, tint and custom hood spears. I am with you about keeping it stock for awhile, maybe when it's not the DD I will think about it.

Quick Reply: tunes gone wrong