Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Switched to the Steeda CAI from the JLT!

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/12, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteedaGus
What would you expect a Ford engineer to say in his position? If he was to openly endorse the aftermarket, it would make Ford look like they did not do their engineering right and were lacking in delivering a quality/performance vehicle - in other words, that they left something on the table. I would fully expect that EVERY Ford engineer and marketing employee would say that very same thing, otherwise they would come under increased scrutiny and be criticized by their management. They have to support their own brand…Any Ford engineer is obviously going to support his work under his position.

To put it in perspective….what if you worked for company “A” and openly stated to the press that company “B” has a equivalent product that is a much better value than company“A” for specific reasons ….….surely there would be some management intervention to dispel those thoughts as you should never "bite the hand that feeds you!”.

Here is another good example. You think Steve Ballmer from Microsoft is ever going to say anything good about Apple products when asked? No way, and search for some videos of him on Youtube and you will find he 100% sings the praises of Microsoft, and that is what you would expect him to do. Do not expect a Mustang engineer to be any different about his brand.

Ford engineers are restricted by overly protective Ford Motor Company guidelines that do not allow them the engineering freedom that we have in the aftermarket. Ford fully knows what the aftermarket is capable of. It just would not look good for Ford if they openly and enthusiastically promoted the aftermarket over OEM equipment. Note that Ford does support SEMA and the aftermarket - that is why they invest millions in their show efforts and also they fully support the Technology Sharing Initiative with the aftermarket. If they did not believe in the aftermarket they would not take these actions behind the scenes, but don't expect them to publicly endorse anything that is not their own in house product.
Ford could do like they already do with some of their parts, and offer 'improvements" via FORD Racing, considering they have pretty much, all other parts covered for the 2011-2013 5.0, why do they not have a CAI, not even on the BOSS? I saw Ford offered the CAI, on the Bullitt, and Roush has a Cosmetic one on their cars. Realistically , it's more of a cosmetic addition, than an actual power adder, and when I look at the miniscule power it adds, in comparison. Ford had a large catalog with parts they know ARE improvements. They are gonna sell parts they know will work, and that people want to swap for performance. I dont see any CAI's in the Ford Racing catalog for the 2011-2013. Could that be because they already know there in not a sufficient gain?
Old 12/28/12, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony
Ford could do like they already do with some of their parts, and offer 'improvements" via FORD Racing, considering they have pretty much, all other parts covered for the 2011-2013 5.0, why do they not have a CAI, not even on the BOSS? I saw Ford offered the CAI, on the Bullitt, and Roush has a Cosmetic one on their cars. Realistically , it's more of a cosmetic addition, than an actual power adder, and when I look at the miniscule power it adds, in comparison. Ford had a large catalog with parts they know ARE improvements. They are gonna sell parts they know will work, and that people want to swap for performance. I dont see any CAI's in the Ford Racing catalog for the 2011-2013. Could that be because they already know there in not a sufficient gain?
That's all in the eye of the beholder. A CAI will give you around a 8-12hp gain over the stock airbox. It's up to you if it's worth the money or not.
Old 12/28/12, 01:11 PM
Cobra Member

Maybe they are smart enough not to compete in a market that is already saturated with plenty of cold air intakes. Take a look at most of their parts and you will see a good portion are parts with little competition so they are captive and sourced from Ford O.E. or their race programs.

O.E. crate engines, front splitters off Boss and FR500 race programs, O.E Steering wheels, control arms, diff covers, GT500 fuel pumps with the correct custom harness, engine blocks, oil pumps, etc.

Their upcoming Cobra Jet 5.0L intake manifold WILL require custom CAI tubing due to the oval throttle body which they will not be offering themselves. That should make it pretty obvious that they just don't want to offer a cold air if they wont offer one for their own product that will require it to even function.
Old 12/28/12, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by RCE EATR
That's all in the eye of the beholder. A CAI will give you around a 8-12hp gain over the stock airbox. It's up to you if it's worth the money or not.
I prefer to see if any additions made work at the track, dyno numbers dont impress me, low et's do. Looking at your sig, that 12.39 you ran, on stock tires,
was that on stock air box, or CAI? I see you have other bolt ons as well, was this all that helped you get that time?
Old 12/29/12, 08:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer to see if any additions made work at the track, dyno numbers dont impress me, low et's do. Looking at your sig, that 12.39 you ran, on stock tires,
was that on stock air box, or CAI? I see you have other bolt ons as well, was this all that helped you get that time?
Ive already mentioned, you cant expect a CAI to drop ETs of .4 tenths, even lightweight skinnies wont do it.
Even a $700.00 driveshaft wont get you more then a.1 tenth
ITS ALL THE MODS TOGETHER that get gains of .4 to .6 tenths
Old 12/29/12, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

When I ran the 12.39 @ 114.7 it was with the JLT cai with a Bama 92 octane tune and pype bomb axle back exhaust as the only mods.

I look for all around performance. At the track, a cai will have a little hotter inlet air temps than the stock airbox which almost negates the gains the cai gives you. But that's basically ONLY at the track because you drive hard then the car sits and builds up heat under the hood. When driving normal around town and on the highway, inlet air temps are basically the same as ambient air temps (just like you were sitting on a dyno with the hood open) so you'll have gains in every day driving, plus it looks better and is a great supporting mod when you do other things.
Old 12/29/12, 12:27 PM

When I ran the 12.39 @ 114.7 it was with the JLT cai with a Bama 92 octane tune and pype bomb axle back exhaust as the only mods.

I look for all around performance. At the track, a cai will have a little hotter inlet air temps than the stock airbox which almost negates the gains the cai gives you. But that's basically ONLY at the track because you drive hard then the car sits and builds up heat under the hood. When driving normal around town and on the highway, inlet air temps are basically the same as ambient air temps (just like you were sitting on a dyno with the hood open) so you'll have gains in every day driving, plus it looks better and is a great supporting mod when you do other things.
What gears did your car come with? Whats weight of your car?
Old 12/29/12, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I have to agree with you... sounds feasible. I don't do 1/4 mile ET runs, so this doesn't effect my type of driving style or preferred motorsport(road course). The CAI I have a little experience with was the Airaid with venturi tube installed. An increase in power was most certainly felt... hit nicely after 4k rpm. This is with spirited driving on highways. With that said, I removed it because I thought throttle response was a bit off at times... might be better with tuning or an aftermarket throttle body.
Old 12/30/12, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

What gears did your car come with? Whats weight of your car?
3.73 stock gears. And around 3650 without me.
Old 12/30/12, 08:35 PM

3.73 stock gears. And around 3650 without me.
I'm looking forward to seeing what gears and a torque converter gets me next, I ran a best of 12.43 @ 113, 3900 lb race weight, with stock tires and stock 3.15 gears, and stock airbox, and a 93 octane street tune.
Old 12/31/12, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm looking forward to seeing what gears and a torque converter gets me next, I ran a best of 12.43 @ 113, 3900 lb race weight, with stock tires and stock 3.15 gears, and stock airbox, and a 93 octane street tune.
Nice what was your 60'?
Old 12/31/12, 12:18 PM

Nice what was your 60'?
Name:  2013MustangGTEtown_0001.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  104.4 KB
Old 12/31/12, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A proven combo for the auto is a converter and 3.31's. One local guy here has been 11.4 and WBT is in the 10's. Both are N/A.
Old 12/31/12, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
A proven combo for the auto is a converter and 3.31's. One local guy here has been 11.4 and WBT is in the 10's. Both are N/A.
Yes I've been in conversation with WBT, and he's been very helpful. I am quite impressed with his time's and his set up, and am hoping I can come close. I am doing each mod in steps so that I can record what each step gains me, before I change any exhaust, and or cams and intakes. Basically I want to gain the most out of what the 2013 already came with, and effectively get the power to the ground. I will see on my own when, and if in fact it is necessary to change the CAI, from the factory.
Old 12/31/12, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes I've been in conversation with WBT, and he's been very helpful. I am quite impressed with his time's and his set up, and am hoping I can come close. I am doing each mod in steps so that I can record what each step gains me, before I change any exhaust, and or cams and intakes. Basically I want to gain the most out of what the 2013 already came with, and effectively get the power to the ground. I will see on my own when, and if in fact it is necessary to change the CAI, from the factory.
Smart. He knows what he's talking about and can back it up.
Old 12/31/12, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Smart. He knows what he's talking about and can back it up.
Indeed! He has my respect.
Old 1/1/13, 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Not a bad 60' time at all. That's basically where you gain the most with gears.