5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Supercharger opinion

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/16, 05:14 AM
V6 Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown CS
The kit as in the vmp one or just the jlt separator? Nothing wrong with the vmp kit, it's just you need to run both sides into a separator to prevent the blow bye.
The VMP Kit. I just found a local shop to install it, but there's a 3 month waiting list. I guess I need to have him add a couple of Bobs cans to the install list.

I've also been eyeballing the he new pro- charger with the programmable modes. I could see that being of great use on. DD. Right now I'm a little conflicted.

Last edited by crjackson; 4/10/16 at 05:17 AM.
Old 4/10/16, 07:46 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
PD blowers appear to be more popular, especially on this forum. I'll admit that they do look more finished or factory when installed. That being said, I have the ProCharger i-1 and have over 9000 miles with it so far on my daily driver. I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. The programable modes are nice and it it like being able to change the pulley on the fly. The touch screen also doubles as a boost gauge.
Old 4/10/16, 08:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
PD blowers appear to be more popular, especially on this forum. I'll admit that they do look more finished or factory when installed. That being said, I have the ProCharger i-1 and have over 9000 miles with it so far on my daily driver. I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. The programable modes are nice and it it like being able to change the pulley on the fly. The touch screen also doubles as a boost gauge.
Your ride has me on the fence about my previous selection. I actually like the tidy look of your engine bay better. What can the maximum boost on the procharger be set at? One reasons I'm considering this so seriously is that, once in a while my wife will jump in my Mustang instead of hers, and I'm guessing that I can program the default startup mode to touring if I wanted.

That would be idea for my case...

Also, if you don't mind me picking your brain a bit...
Has your oil consumption changed and do you use a catch can? If you are using a can, which one did you go with and how effective is it?

BTW, If some of my sentences come off stupid sounding, it's because I'm on my iPad and ever since the last iOS update, the Autocorrect has been acting particularly stupid. I guess I should just turn the effing thing off.

Last edited by crjackson; 4/10/16 at 09:01 PM.
Old 4/11/16, 05:40 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
The default startup is whatever you left it at last. ProCharger sets the maximum boost for stock 5.0's to 7.5 PSI, and Boss 302's to 8.5 PSI. I seem to recall that you can specify what you want when you order. I use a Moroso catch can but I need to add one for the drivers side or route both sides to the one can in order to be effective. However, my oil consumption has not changed since adding forced induction.

I used a PC to set up the custom mode on the touch screen controller. It essentially keeps boost low for normal cruising but comes up quickly over 2250 RPM. I did this so I could have boost when I wanted it but stay out of it when simply cruising down the interstate at 80 or below.

The touring mode limits boost to less than 1 PSI, so it's essentially a stocker in that mode.

Sport mode, from what I can tell, makes it behave like a "normal" centrifugal blower.

Competition mode brings up boost very fast - you can build boost right off the line and if you are just driving normally, you'll hear the blow off valve releasing the excess pressure quite a bit.

Like I said earlier, most people seem to prefer PD blowers and those will get you the most torque off the line. I tend to take a slightly different approach - hence my second car, the Corvair.

Last edited by SpectreH; 4/11/16 at 05:41 AM.
Old 4/11/16, 12:38 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the info. Very helpful...