5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Supercharger opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/15, 07:16 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
Go VMP. Justin Starkey uses a TVS supercharger like Roush but his kit is way better, worth the extra dollars. I know from experience. I purchased a Roush it. I then did research and purchased the VMP plug and play wiring kit prior to install. I paid $140 for the Roush tune with their voucher. It was a big mistake. I drove my car with the Roush tune for 6 months. I broke down and went with the VMP tune from Justin Starkey. and all I can say is it felt like I added a second supercharger. So in retrospect, I would have went with the VMP TVS setup. It would have saved me a little cash in the long run and it has a boat load more power than the Roush kit because the Roush tune is so conservative.
Quick question Robert.
So, all you go from Justin was a 93 octane tune for your Roushcharged Mustang? Is that correct? Is it really a night and day difference? Thanks bro.
Old 12/24/15, 08:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I know a different tune than the Roush 670 tune would wake my car up, especially down low with the advanced timing and torque management settings. But then I ask myself if I want to void my 3/36 warranty and if I need more than 670 hp now. My car will leave two black tire marks for about 50 feet from a 40 mph roll in 3rd gear lol.... It's enough for now.
Old 12/25/15, 07:55 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by tom281
I know a different tune than the Roush 670 tune would wake my car up, especially down low with the advanced timing and torque management settings. But then I ask myself if I want to void my 3/36 warranty and if I need more than 670 hp now. My car will leave two black tire marks for about 50 feet from a 40 mph roll in 3rd gear lol.... It's enough for now.
Very true Tom.
Car definitely has some get up and go.
Old 12/26/15, 07:23 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am considering the Brenspeed 626 roush kit.

anyone have any experience with this kit?

Thanks
Jack
Old 12/26/15, 07:27 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by jcsix13
I am considering the Brenspeed 626 roush kit.
anyone have any experience with this kit?
Thanks
Jack
Jack, I have heard not many good things about Brenspeed. They don't live up to the hype. Car is supposed to dyno at a certain number, but does not. (I know all dynos are different. Just telling you what I have read about Brenspeed.) Good luck!
Old 12/27/15, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Quick question Robert.
So, all you go from Justin was a 93 octane tune for your Roushcharged Mustang? Is that correct? Is it really a night and day difference? Thanks bro.
Yes sir! I purchased a Roush phase 1 kit. I wanted to keep the airbox as I wanted something stealthy. As soon as you install a CAI these TVS cars get very whiny. At any rate. I had a conversation with Justin from VMP and yes the tune I got from him was night and day. The Roush tune was so conservative. Without exageration the car went from being respectable to a beast. The car will literally break the tires loose from a roll at 50 MPH. I would highly recommend his tune.

Last edited by 2014GHIGGT; 12/27/15 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12/27/15, 09:03 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Yes sir! I purchased a Roush phase 1 kit. I wanted to keep the airbox as I wanted something stealthy. As soon as you install a CAI these TVS cars get very whiny. At any rate. I had a conversation with Justin from VMP and yes the tune I got from him was night and day. The Roush tune was so conservative. Without exageration the car went from being respectable to a beast. The car will literally break the tires loose from a roll at 50 MPH. I would highly recommend his tune.
I love it bro!!!
Thanks for your reply. Excellent to know. I think that Justin and his company are probably hands down one of the best for folks like us with the Roushchargers. (So,...all it was was just a 93 octane, correct? INSANE! lol)
I'm either going to build a beast with my current Roush. Or purchase a S550 Roush with the phase 3 kit. (Phase 3 kit isn't out yet I know, but I have to pay off the new truck first before throwing around all kinds of cash again. lol ) That's the plan anyways.
Thanks Robert. Enjoy the beast.

Last edited by Stage_3; 12/27/15 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12/27/15, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

anytime sir! :-)
Old 1/6/16, 04:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't hear ANY whine from my 12' RS3 with VMP's phase 3 kit (CAI, Tune, Colder Plugs, Pulleys). In fact, I was actually disappointed that I haven't even heard the SC engage once since I've owned the car. I would love to have more of an audible response from the SC.... Maybe its the Roush Exhaust drowning it out?!?!
Old 1/6/16, 07:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Is your CAI running an open air filter? That's the only way I can hear my blower whine from inside the car. We've made some quick videos from outside the car and you can hear it faintly during the drive by but otherwise it's silent. But when I remove the lid to the roush air intake I can hear it easily.
Old 1/6/16, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Is your CAI running an open air filter? That's the only way I can hear my blower whine from inside the car. We've made some quick videos from outside the car and you can hear it faintly during the drive by but otherwise it's silent. But when I remove the lid to the roush air intake I can hear it easily.

Yes it's open, the VMP phase 3 kit includes the JLT CAI, not sure why I don't hear it
Old 1/6/16, 08:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Not sure, mine is really audible using the stock pulley, 670 tune, and standard roush airbox with kid removed. But with the lid on it is silent.
Old 1/6/16, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
Yes it's open, the VMP phase 3 kit includes the JLT CAI, not sure why I don't hear it
What size pulley are you running and do you have a oil seperator? My whine went away and I personally think it's from the oil vapor that has collected on the vortices. With the oil on the vortices it might be causing air turbulence thus causing less whine. I'm sure I'm way off but that's my thought.

Last edited by Blown CS; 1/6/16 at 04:19 PM.
Old 1/6/16, 03:03 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

I don't hear ANY whine from my 12' RS3 with VMP's phase 3 kit (CAI, Tune, Colder Plugs, Pulleys). In fact, I was actually disappointed that I haven't even heard the SC engage once since I've owned the car. I would love to have more of an audible response from the SC.... Maybe its the Roush Exhaust drowning it out?!?!
Yeah,....that's definitely weird Bryan. That car should be whining like a little kid wanting some candy! lol
Give Justin a call. I'm sure he will go over it with you. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 1/7/16, 04:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
What size pulley are you running and do you have a oil seperator? My whine went away and I personally think it's from the oil vapor that has collected on the vortices. With the oil on the vortices it might be causing air turbulence thus causing less whine. I'm sure I'm way off but that's my thought.
•82mm Pulley
•90mm Idler

I have the JLT oil separator on the passenger side that I took off my 13' when I traded it in. I was going to ask my service guy if he thought I need the driver side one tomorrow when I go in for my next oil change.
Old 1/7/16, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

•82mm Pulley
•90mm Idler

I have the JLT oil separator on the passenger side that I took off my 13' when I traded it in. I was going to ask my service guy if he thought I need the driver side one tomorrow when I go in for my next oil change.
I just removed my vmp kit that had a passenger jlt seperator and after 13k miles the blower, elbow and throttle body was saturated with oil. I'll post up some pics but my plan is to run both sides to a can and vent or get a driver's side jlt.
Old 1/25/16, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird. Mine is fairly loud

Old 4/9/16, 05:55 PM
V6 Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown CS
I just removed my vmp kit that had a passenger jlt seperator and after 13k miles the blower, elbow and throttle body was saturated with oil. I'll post up some pics but my plan is to run both sides to a can and vent or get a driver's side jlt.
Crap, that sucks. I was wanting to get this kit myself.
Old 4/9/16, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If I ever go there again, I'm going PD. I didn't like how the centri made power. It was all stacked right at the top, lots of it no doubt but, not really useful on the street.

I find myself liking lately the Edelbrock kit as the most street friendly in the power range I'd be after.
Old 4/9/16, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by crjackson2134
Crap, that sucks. I was wanting to get this kit myself.
The kit as in the vmp one or just the jlt separator? Nothing wrong with the vmp kit, it's just you need to run both sides into a separator to prevent the blow bye.

Quick Reply: Supercharger opinion