Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda Tri_Ax Installed

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/10, 11:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda Tri_Ax Installed (Photos Now Inside)

Well today I got my Steeda Short shifter installed.
This will be where I post pictures and videos but I never got around to that tonight unfortunately.
I will just list off a few pros and cons real quick as I am super busy with work right now.

Pros-
-Build quality is amazing! I can not even believe how cheap the stock one is.
-The throws are shorter.(duh)
-The east to west spring is much stiffer.
-You can slam it opened palmed into third from second
- Install is straight Forward

Cons-
- Vibration has increased ( Should I worry?)
- Noise has increased (way to loud)
- Reverse is a lot harder to push down and get in to gear (It comes with a softer spring So I will try that)
- The rubber boot does not seem to hold on the shifter and it slips down (this may be my culprit that is allowing noise in I will throw a rubber band around it and see if it stays up on the shifter better)
- I am hearing a whine coming from my transmission now ( maybe it was always there but now that noise can get in I notice it)

I made an audio clip of the whine but I have no clue how to upload a audio file?(any one know)

All in all right now there are more negatives than positives. But I am confident that i will work these Gremlins out( I hope)

Stay Tuned for video and Pictures soon

Last edited by AK 5.0; 10/7/10 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 10/7/10, 12:04 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No soft rubber bushings in the Steeda shifter, stiff delrin bushing or something like that is what is transmitting the noise and vibration and gear whine, doubt there will be anything to change that.
Old 10/7/10, 12:15 AM
V6 Member

I think the noise can be brought down a lot. I mean it is down right loud right now ( I am almost positive it is because of the rubber boot)

I will try and adjust every thing tomorrow and make sure I have the spacing down correct.
Old 10/7/10, 09:15 AM
V6 Member

Get the rubber boot fixed. That should be your noise issue. We measured in house with decibel meter and with the rubber and leather boot installed properly there was No increase in sound.

Scott

Last edited by Long Stroke; 10/7/10 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10/7/10, 11:16 AM
V6 Member

Scott,

You think I would be fine with just putting a rubber band around the top so it holds it in place?

What about Vibration? I made sure the spacing was correct for the reverse lockout.

Any other tips so I can get this dialed in a bit better?

I am about to go work on it a bit I will post my findings.
Old 10/7/10, 01:05 PM
V6 Member

AK, please check out the attachment below. Feel free to contact me direct with any questions buddy.

Doc1.pdf
Old 10/7/10, 06:49 PM
V6 Member

Scott-
Thanks buddy! That diagram is exactly what I needed. I did the rubber boot wrong as I suspected and I just went in there and fixed it. Boy what a PITA that was. I think you should add in your instructions (*be nice to Significant Other so they may help you put the Rubber boot on)
Now I have not had a chance to drive and report back on the noise but I assume this will fix it.
Old 10/7/10, 06:52 PM
V6 Member

Pics of it Installed
The second pic is of the shifter in First Gear to show that there is a gap there. Does that look right ok to you Scott?
Attached Thumbnails Steeda Tri_Ax Installed-steeda_shifter0001.jpg   Steeda Tri_Ax Installed-steeda_shifter0007.jpg   Steeda Tri_Ax Installed-steeda_shifter0009.jpg   Steeda Tri_Ax Installed-steeda_shifter0011.jpg  

Last edited by AK 5.0; 10/7/10 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10/7/10, 06:55 PM
V6 Member

Stock Assembly
Attached Thumbnails Steeda Tri_Ax Installed-steeda_shifter0013.jpg   Steeda Tri_Ax Installed-steeda_shifter0015.jpg   Steeda Tri_Ax Installed-steeda_shifter0016.jpg   Steeda Tri_Ax Installed-steeda_shifter0017.jpg  
Old 10/7/10, 07:06 PM
GTR Member

Interesting, so when you engage reverse by pushing down as you move the stick to the reverse gate the tab on the side of the stick fits into a slot in the lockout block allowing it to go into reverse.

It's a plastic tab on the stock shifter it looks like, is there any need to lubricate the tab on the steeda shifter for the lockout since it is metal?
Old 10/7/10, 07:47 PM
V6 Member

I was thinking that to.

Will see what Scott has to say.

Also I noticed some wear starting to happen of the plastic Reverse lock out tab.
I wonder if that will cause problems down the road for the stock shifter?
Old 10/7/10, 08:00 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by AK 5.0
Also I noticed some wear starting to happen of the plastic Reverse lock out tab.
Might just eventually make the lockout not work as well, make it easier to put it in the reverse gate when you didn't mean to.
Old 10/7/10, 11:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Might just eventually make the lockout not work as well, make it easier to put it in the reverse gate when you didn't mean to.
I bet you are right.
Old 10/8/10, 06:18 AM
V6 Member

I was thinking that to.

Will see what Scott has to say.

The factory aluminum tab is lubricated from the factory so it will transfer over to the steel tab with use. If you want to put some extra on ours thats fine.

Also the radius on reverse lock out tab on the Steeda shifter matches the factory casting. So wear will not be more of an issue with the Tri-Ax.
Old 10/8/10, 06:19 AM
V6 Member

Scott-
Thanks buddy! That diagram is exactly what I needed. I did the rubber boot wrong as I suspected and I just went in there and fixed it. Boy what a PITA that was. I think you should add in your instructions (*be nice to Significant Other so they may help you put the Rubber boot on)
Now I have not had a chance to drive and report back on the noise but I assume this will fix it.
LOL, thanks.

We are including it in all future instructions. This is why Feedback is so important. Thanks!
Old 10/8/10, 07:16 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Thank the lord the reverse spring is stronger. I had a conversation with one of Ford manual trans engineers on this project the other day and I was very firm to him, that i feel the reverse spring is too weak and its too easy to engage reverse. So glad to hear this shifter address such a blatent flaw

Last edited by Stinger1982; 10/8/10 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10/8/10, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
Thank the lord the reverse spring is stronger. I had a conversation with one of manual trans engineers on this project the other day and I was very firm to him, that i feel the reverse spring is too weak and its too easy to engage reverse. So glad to hear this shifter address such a blatent flaw

Shaun

Looks like we might have another project for the guys at lime rock this time.
Old 10/8/10, 12:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
Thank the lord the reverse spring is stronger. I had a conversation with one of manual trans engineers on this project the other day and I was very firm to him, that i feel the reverse spring is too weak and its too easy to engage reverse. So glad to hear this shifter address such a blatent flaw

I agree with you after putting a lot of miles on our 5 liter.

We even give you two different spring options with additional shims so you can taylor the pressure to your liking.
Old 10/9/10, 09:00 AM

Scott,
Is the thread pattern(for the shift **** to screw on to) on the short throw shifter the same as the OEM shifter?
Old 10/11/10, 08:00 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GDZILLA95
Scott,
Is the thread pattern(for the shift **** to screw on to) on the short throw shifter the same as the OEM shifter?

Yes it is, so it accepts the stock **** or aftermarket ones.

Quick Reply: Steeda Tri_Ax Installed