Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda Clutch Assist Spring Install?

Old 4/21/17, 07:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
They are considering it - they have all the supporting info & at the moment ... there are several projects in the queue.

I will poke the bear & see what I can figure out.

Best Regards,
TJ
Old 4/21/17, 07:19 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
TJ thanks for the update. Keep us posted as you learn more.
Old 4/24/17, 07:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by EF1
TJ thanks for the update. Keep us posted as you learn more.
I have good news & perhaps bad news ... but mainly good news!

The perch has been designed - we are now in the process of securing materials & machine time.

It looks as if though we will be able to bring this to market in a month or so.

When I hear more ... I will pass along more information!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/24/17, 07:45 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
I have good news & perhaps bad news ... but mainly good news!

The perch has been designed - we are now in the process of securing materials & machine time.

It looks as if though we will be able to bring this to market in a month or so.

When I hear more ... I will pass along more information!

Best Regards,

TJ
That is good news. What will it be made out of?
Old 4/25/17, 08:02 AM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
If the price is anywhere near reasonable, I'll buy one. My glued piece is still working fine, but I would still like to have one that was never broken & repaired. Thanks for pushing for it and please let us know when it's available.
Old 8/11/17, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this still in the works?
Old 8/11/17, 07:03 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

I was at Steeda Valdosta a couple of months back and they said it had been designed and they were waiting on a hole in the production schedule for some machine time to make a run. I was hoping that it would be out by now, maybe TJ@steeda can give us an update.
Old 10/11/17, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello TJ,

any update, yet?

best regards,

Burt
Old 1/5/18, 06:24 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

It looks like they finally got into production.

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-Mustan...cid=6e27bd194d
Old 1/5/18, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Wow, $80 for a small piece of plastic.
Holy ****.

Just leave the spring out. I've had my stocker out for over 3 years with no issues.
Still running the stock clutch, over 20k miles boosted, over 600 rwhp for over a year.
No problems.

I'm really disappointed in Steeda for claiming slave cylinder damage unless their $15+ spring is installed. A spring that probably costs them about 15 cents.

Take out the stocker and move on with your life!

Old 1/5/18, 06:52 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Some of us have bad knees and want better clutch feel without the effort required with the spring removed. I agree that $80 for the perch is a little bit steep, but much better than the cost of a new pedal assembly, since Ford does not offer the individual parts.
Old 1/5/18, 07:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Their are many costs that go into making a part - research, design, prototyping, etc.

Yes, it is much cheaper than the full assembly from Ford.

Many people had run without the spring & put our spring in & they enjoyed it more.

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 1/5/18 at 07:40 PM.
Old 1/5/18, 07:56 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

TJ,

I emailed Randy in Valdosta earlier and it bounced back. Is he not with you guys anymore?
Old 1/5/18, 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
Some of us have bad knees and want better clutch feel without the effort required with the spring removed. I agree that $80 for the perch is a little bit steep, but much better than the cost of a new pedal assembly, since Ford does not offer the individual parts.
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Their are many costs that go into making a part - research, design, prototyping, etc.

Yes, it is much cheaper than the full assembly from Ford.

Many people had run without the spring & put our spring in & they enjoyed it more.

TJ
Just because "it's cheaper than the full assembly from Ford" it doesn't make it a good deal. It makes it a "we have you by the short hairs, you gonna buy the overpriced Ford part or the overpriced Steeda part that's cheaper cuz you're getting much less for your money?"
Steeda's taking advantage of people with this issue, and pricing this plastic piece "cheaper than the full assembly from Ford", while making a stupid amount of markup, percentage-wise.
Really, $80 for a small plastic piece?
Steeda's gotta be making something like $70+ on that thing.
Old 1/6/18, 03:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Greetings from Germany guys,

i don’t really think that 80$ is an awful lot for this thing. If you think about how many of us having that problem with the broken factory perch ! Steeda won‘t make much money on us. And nobody would ever produce a special product for special interest just to give it away for free at the end. The price seems to be reasonable in my opinion, if you regard the few pieces they gonna sell over all. I am thankful that they decided to produce the item. I‘ll buy one anyway.

Just my thoughts....

burt
Old 1/6/18, 06:35 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fireburt
Greetings from Germany guys,

i don’t really think that 80$ is an awful lot for this thing. If you think about how many of us having that problem with the broken factory perch ! Steeda won‘t make much money on us. And nobody would ever produce a special product for special interest just to give it away for free at the end. The price seems to be reasonable in my opinion, if you regard the few pieces they gonna sell over all. I am thankful that they decided to produce the item. I‘ll buy one anyway.

Just my thoughts....

burt
It is a little more than I was expecting, but not what I consider unreasonable. I am thankful that Steeda has listened to those of us wanting a replacement and produced the part. I agree that this is not going to be a high volume item for them, since it only appeals to those of us with 2010-2014 manual transmission cars with broken spring perches that would like a replacement. This is not a large population of people. I have already emailed my Steeda rep to get one on the way.
Old 1/6/18, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Perch

If I broke mine, I'd be very happy Steeda built a replacement. $80 is a fair price IMO.
Old 1/7/18, 10:34 AM
GT Member

I'll be the first to say that I don't know what's all involved in determining what the cost of a limited production specialty item should be. Things like 3D printing certainly can be used to greatly reduce the cost. Still this is an item that will have a rather small market. It is more than I had hoped it would be. On the other hand they have the only one available. The only other choices are to search the internet forums for someone who has removed theirs and wants to sell it, search the salvage yards or buy the entire pedal assembly from Ford. My local Ford dealer has been good about giving me discounts on parts, but it's still $130.00 from them. For whatever reason Ford has chosen not to make the perch available separately. It does appear to be better made than the factory piece. I did notice one way of ordering that appears to be a decent deal. The spring by itself currently sells for $19.95. If you order the spring and the perch together [ part # 555 7030 ] the cost is $84.95. So if you haven't already ordered a spring or if you would simply like to have a spare then the cost dosen't seem so bad. The perch by itself [ part # 555 7029 ] is only $5.00 less. I plan to order mine tomorrow.
Old 1/7/18, 10:53 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SilrBult
I'll be the first to say that I don't know what's all involved in determining what the cost of a limited production specialty item should be. Things like 3D printing certainly can be used to greatly reduce the cost. Still this is an item that will have a rather small market. It is more than I had hoped it would be. On the other hand they have the only one available. The only other choices are to search the internet forums for someone who has removed theirs and wants to sell it, search the salvage yards or buy the entire pedal assembly from Ford. My local Ford dealer has been good about giving me discounts on parts, but it's still $130.00 from them. For whatever reason Ford has chosen not to make the perch available separately. It does appear to be better made than the factory piece. I did notice one way of ordering that appears to be a decent deal. The spring by itself currently sells for $19.95. If you order the spring and the perch together [ part # 555 7030 ] the cost is $84.95. So if you haven't already ordered a spring or if you would simply like to have a spare then the cost dosen't seem so bad. The perch by itself [ part # 555 7029 ] is only $5.00 less. I plan to order mine tomorrow.
Steeda has always been good about bundling parts together for significant savings. It is definitely a better value to buy the bundle with the spring, but most of us with broken perches have already purchased the spring and broke the perch during removal/installation. You can always wait for one of the Steeda sales in which all Steeda branded products are an additional % off.
Old 1/12/18, 09:50 AM
GT Member

Just in case anyone is interested I got my replacement spring perch and spring a couple of days ago. I haven't had a chance to remove my old assembly and replace it yet due to crappy weather. It is immediately obvious that the Steeda replacement perch is significantly stronger than the original factory piece. The central pin or stem on the top perch is at least twice the diameter of the factory piece. The pin or stem is what broke on my original when I removed it to replace the factory spring with the Steeda spring. I think this is what broke for most people when they tried to remove the factory spring as well. I was lucky enough to be able to glue my original one back together [ Gorilla brand super glue is pretty good stuff ], but I've always been a little concerned about it so being able to have a new and stronger perch is good for my piece of mind. I have heat available in my garage, but I'am not in a great hurry so I'll wait for a warm up before changing it.

Search this Thread