Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

STEEDA 2011 5.0 GT Mustang Cold Air Kit

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/10, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stinger1982
I will post my results.

I already have a tune, will re-baseline (not change the tune) and dyno with the CAI (again not touching the tune) and we will see what is what

Cool I really want to see the true gain of just the CAI alone.

Nobody out there is posting more than 10-14 hp gains.
Old 6/28/10, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 05-1947
Yep, your right..... Steeda has been in business since the late 80's and it is all because of false advertising
The baseline HP they are quoting is lower by almost 25 HP than any other company has posted.

The gains of their combination tune and CAI is almost 15 HP higher than anybody else.

ANYONE else.

Yes this is false advertising at its best.

361 HP baseline here:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...T-testing-info.

380 after TUNE and CAI versus 361 stock tune baseline.

19 HP with both mods by Steeda.

Motortreand tested these cars at 370'ish on their dynos in the first road tests, base stock tunes.

I stand by what I say 100%

Last edited by JerryFordedson; 6/28/10 at 06:07 PM.
Old 6/29/10, 05:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny thing is this statment is right from SCT's facebook page posted on June 22 2010:
"Sct Performance
Stock 2011 Mustang, Manual Trans, 3.31 Gear = 368rwhp
SCT Value File Tune + Stock 2011 Mustang = 384rwhp
Steeda Cold Air Intake + SCT Value File Tune + Stock 2011 Mustang = 392rwhp"

So in this test by SCT the Steeda CAI gained 8 RWHP and a total gain of 24 RWHP with a Steeda CAI AND tune. It looks to me all of that gain is from the base line shut down at 6100 rpm when it can go to 6700 before the throttle starts to close. Base line numbers would have been even higher if revved out, but due to it having 3:31 gears it hit the speed limiter first. So the ability of the tune to raise the limiter allowed a tuned run to rev to 7100 and gain much power. I could be wrong though.

So is this more realistic of what a customer might see on the dyno or is the 336 RWHP base line more the norm? Not to mention the TQ. 309 RWTQ? These things make at least 325-330 stock SAE.
I've seen a stick pull 357-363 RWHP and an auto pull 351-357 RWHP as well as countless others online in that same range or higher, never seen one pull 330's.

Last edited by Tucker; 6/29/10 at 05:41 AM.
Old 6/29/10, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tucker
Funny thing is this statment is right from SCT's facebook page posted on June 22 2010:
"Sct Performance
Stock 2011 Mustang, Manual Trans, 3.31 Gear = 368rwhp
SCT Value File Tune + Stock 2011 Mustang = 384rwhp
Steeda Cold Air Intake + SCT Value File Tune + Stock 2011 Mustang = 392rwhp"

So in this test by SCT the Steeda CAI gained 8 RWHP and a total gain of 24 RWHP with a Steeda CAI AND tune. It looks to me all of that gain is from the base line shut down at 6100 rpm when it can go to 6700 before the throttle starts to close. Base line numbers would have been even higher if revved out, but due to it having 3:31 gears it hit the speed limiter first. So the ability of the tune to raise the limiter allowed a tuned run to rev to 7100 and gain much power. I could be wrong though.

So is this more realistic of what a customer might see on the dyno or is the 336 RWHP base line more the norm? Not to mention the TQ. 309 RWTQ? These things make at least 325-330 stock SAE.
I've seen a stick pull 357-363 RWHP and an auto pull 351-357 RWHP as well as countless others online in that same range or higher, never seen one pull 330's.

THANK YOU!
Old 6/29/10, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JerryFordedson
The baseline HP they are quoting is lower by almost 25 HP than any other company has posted.

The gains of their combination tune and CAI is almost 15 HP higher than anybody else.

ANYONE else.

Yes this is false advertising at its best.

361 HP baseline here:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...T-testing-info.

380 after TUNE and CAI versus 361 stock tune baseline.

19 HP with both mods by Steeda.

Motortreand tested these cars at 370'ish on their dynos in the first road tests, base stock tunes.

I stand by what I say 100%

Can't necessarily say it is "False Advertising" when they fully disclose everything.
We have some numbers now we are ready to release. But first a little background.

In 5th gear this car dyno'd at 368hp but would hit the speed limiter before the rev limiter due to our car being a 3.31 gear equipped car. In 4th gear the car dyno'd at 336hp at the wheels.

We decided to work with the car in 4th gear. As I mentioned earlier in this thread this will produce lower numbers all around, from the baseline number to the final number so they should not be used to compare against other cars.

As mentioned earlier a car with 3.73's will also dyno slightly differently in both 4th and 5th gears. Add on top of that the fact not every dyno reads the same, different days with different weather conditions produce different results, etc and it becomes nearly impossible to make accurate apples to apples comparisons.

That is why discussions on power numbers can become so heated. With questions whether one company or even an enthusiasts dyno number is accurate, what it really means, will it affect performance?... etc... etc...

In addition, with the speed limiter removed and rev limiter increased wheel speeds in 5th were going 170+. As unlikely as it was that a tire would blow out from that wheel speed we decided safety first and did our testing in 4th to keep the wheel speeds safe.

The attached dyno sheet is from pulls done on the same day, on the same dyno, on the same car, all in 4th gear on a manual transmission 2011 5.0 with 3.31 gears. This is the culmunation of over 8 months worth or work both here and with Ford right in Dearborn on pre-production cars. The numbers shown are the result of the cold air and custom tuning. Like our 05-2010 Cold air kits a custom tune/cold air package will be required for these gains.

Peak gains are 44.04 horsepower and 52.84 ft/lbs of torque, with even higher point to point gains. The highlighted point at 5500 shows a gain of 59.83 horsepower and 59.19 ft.lbs of torque. These gains are on 93 octane fuel. The baseline number was on a completely stock car with 87 octane fuel as delivered from Ford.
Old 6/29/10, 02:00 PM

That wasn't the first post either.
Old 6/29/10, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Wonder if SteedaGus will chime in on this one. I have one on order from the dealership where i'm having all my mods done, but now wondering if i'll buy it period with only an 8HP increase. Does that mean that the Ford stock CAI and stock tune is getting the most out of this engine. Or am i missing something here.
Old 6/29/10, 03:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

JLT has seen some better #'s than 8. But to really get the best of everything you need the intake with a tune just like on the 4.6. The tune is the most important part and will be worth it even with the stock intake.
Old 6/29/10, 03:25 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
JLT has seen some better #'s than 8. But to really get the best of everything you need the intake with a tune just like on the 4.6. The tune is the most important part and will be worth it even with the stock intake.
Stinger got 24hp from a tune alone. Definitely worth it!
Old 6/29/10, 03:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Yeah i understand, but isn't that more realistic 8 HP increase with a tune ! I'm having the tune as well as the CAI.
Old 6/29/10, 04:42 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Gus is on vacation

If everyone would CALM down I will dyno my Steeda CAI before and after and show what gains are from the CAI and what's from the tune.

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Wonder if SteedaGus will chime in on this one. I have one on order from the dealership where i'm having all my mods done, but now wondering if i'll buy it period with only an 8HP increase. Does that mean that the Ford stock CAI and stock tune is getting the most out of this engine. Or am i missing something here.

My car made 391 BONE STOCK to the tire when broken in.

with a ONLY a tune it made 415 thats a 24hp improvement.

the CAI should go on this week and I am guessing I will see a 10 hp imporvement.

so tuned and CAI = add ~34 hp thats massive!

Steeda is selling a power pack here not just a tune, so no false advertising here. Its is TOTALY do-able to add 30hp with a CAI and a tune, but the tune does more than the CAI for sure

Last edited by Stinger1982; 6/29/10 at 04:59 PM.
Old 6/29/10, 05:56 PM
GTR Member

If everyone would CALM down I will dyno my Steeda CAI before and after and show what gains are from the CAI and what's from the tune.
Probably won't quell the arguments no matter which way it comes out. Even if your dyno totally backs up steeda's claims there will be those who will still argue about it.

It's been this was ever since the first aftermarket air inlet/filter setup claimed any HP gains. Even back to when the K&N filters first started to gain popularity on carb'd cars, then moroso came out with performance air filters and there were similar arguments about them. Of course, back then, there wasn't a chassis dyno in so many performance shops like there are now so it was mainly track performance that was the judge of what worked and what didn't.
Old 6/29/10, 06:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Gus is on vacation

the CAI should go on this week and I am guessing I will see a 10 hp imporvement.

Steeda is selling a power pack here not just a tune, so no false advertising here. Its is TOTALY do-able to add 30hp with a CAI and a tune, but the tune does more than the CAI for sure
Is the Steeda tune you'll be testing any different than the one you have right now ?
Old 6/29/10, 06:57 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Is the Steeda tune you'll be testing any different than the one you have right now ?
I am not using there tune, on purpose. To show what the CAI is worth as a part only
Old 6/29/10, 07:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am not using there tune, on purpose. To show what the CAI is worth as a part only
Ok so let me rephrase that Shaun, in your opinion, is the Steeda tune close to the one you have now ? Could i be expecting pretty close numbers than the ones you're getting from a different tuner. I guess my point is, am i getting screwed with the Steeda CAI and tune ? Are those legits HP increase from a CAI and tune. I don't mind paying, but i want results.
Old 6/29/10, 07:17 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Ok so let me rephrase that Shaun, in your opinion, is the Steeda tune close to the one you have now ? Could i be expecting pretty close numbers than the ones you're getting from a different tuner. I guess my point is, am i getting screwed with the Steeda CAI and tune ? Are those legits HP increase from a CAI and tune. I don't mind paying, but i want results.
I don't do mail order tunes from anyone. I always do dyno tunes.

Steeda is a reputable company with quality products. (I have never had issues with Steeda quality)

I feel as far as mail order tunes and CAI's your in the right hands.
Old 6/29/10, 10:00 PM

Guys? I am 100% behind this product if someone shows me it works the way they are eluding to as in 44HP gains over a REAL stock baseline.

If you buy this combination of tune and CAI will the gains be bigger than a C&L and say an Eric Brooks tune, or Evolution or Lethal or or or etc.

I am betting the CAI portion of the gain is no larger than 10HP and I am betting if you buy this CAI and this tune your numbers will be less than the C&L and a better tune.

AND the C&L doesn't require a tune in the first place for those who just want a quick 16hp for $350

Last edited by JerryFordedson; 6/29/10 at 10:03 PM.
Old 6/30/10, 05:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

No point in adding a CAI without the tune IMO. Too much power on the table as well as raising the redline. Tuner/CAI package from JLT, STEEDA, C&L are all most likely going to be similar and an attribute to the car.
Old 6/30/10, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Your numbers are some of the highest I've seen, that thing must run awesome!!
Be sure you base line the car that day and then ONLY change the MAF table to work with the CAI. That way your not adding timing or fooling with fuel. This will tell what the CAI is worth. Then do a tune on it and then you will see what the combo is worth. Please don't compare to your old numbers. I look forward to the results.
Also, your guessing 30 HP is possible, but in this thread Steeda is telling the customer world 44 - 59 RWHP is possible.
Peak gains are 44.04 horsepower and 52.84 ft/lbs of torque, with even higher point to point gains. The highlighted point at 5500 shows a gain of 59.83 horsepower and 59.19 ft.lbs of torque
Don't you think that's a little "false" ? Misleading maybe?
People read that and buy buy buy. Then they get the product, don't dyno it and "think" they got a 400 RWHP car. We all talk to those guys at car shows LOL
I have tested tons of tune/CAI combos in the past 5 years and not many get what they claim. Tests are skued and most customers don't know how to read them and see the funky areas. Right here we have a low baseline car and crazy high gains being claimed. "Most" here see that, but more out there will not question it and buy it.
The most odd thing is SCT's statment. Steeda is here saying 59 RWHP and SCT, the company who tuned the Steeda CAI for Steeda at Steeda is saying less then half. So what's what? I understand the whole 4th gear, 5th gear thing and tire speed, but the dyno numbers from 4th to 5th shouldn't be 20-25 HP off and that should have been made 100% clear to all readers in the first post.
Bottom line, these are unrealistic claims! If not, let's see it a 2nd or 3rd car along with video of the actual dyno session.
Originally Posted by 05-1947
No point in adding a CAI without the tune IMO. Too much power on the table as well as raising the redline. Tuner/CAI package from JLT, STEEDA, C&L are all most likely going to be similar and an attribute to the car.
You are correct, but the majority would love to add a $3-400 part and not tune it. Jump that cost up to $550-700 for the package and you move less product. Heck, if it works and gains you 10-15 HP then great. Just like on a pre 05, a tune is just another mod to make all the parts work together better and you can add it now ro later as money allows.
I'm talking about the non gear heads who buy Mustangs, which is the majority who want a CAI only.

I hope I didn't come off as negitive or against any company. First MMR claims 15-20 without a tune and then this 44-59 HP with a tune. I think Steeda makes a great product, I just wonder the reasoning behind the high HP claims. People were asking well before I did.
I have great respect for them as well as C&L and wish them all the best. We will continue our testing and will release all testing info as we have this past week.

Thanks
Jay
Old 6/30/10, 07:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well i remember Steeda advertised 38rwhp gain for the 4.6 with CAI and tune yet never seen a customers car dyno that much. 25rwhp about average.

Quick Reply: STEEDA 2011 5.0 GT Mustang Cold Air Kit