Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/11, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wally10
in sport mode....try to downshift at 60 into 3rd gear and my "nanny mode" kicks in and chokes the life out of the engine...anyone else have this problem ?

That's not a problem, thats a solution. Turn everything off and then try that. The problem is such an extreme loss in traction you go sideways and lose it. See the vid I posted with the white ZR1 that tries that.
Old 1/11/11, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timeless
I am pretty sure all GTs as mine feels stiffer also and I do not have the Brembo package.
Yep, all GTs stiffen up the steering when in sport mode.
Old 1/11/11, 08:45 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I always thought the right peddle was sport mode?
Old 1/11/11, 09:50 PM
Cobra R Member

what I don't get is there isn't one article or media release from Ford that says steering stiffens under sport mode- something you'd think would be published?

The only spot where it clearly says so is for the Boss. But it's under a setting in the dash- not by tapping the button.

This is regards to the EPAS: http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...ower-steering/

Which may account for the stiffening.
Old 1/12/11, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by RandyW
I think I got ripped off. My car doesn't have a "tradition" button.
Well you better take it back you got ripped off. Haha
Old 1/12/11, 08:19 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
what I don't get is there isn't one article or media release from Ford that says steering stiffens under sport mode- something you'd think would be published?

The only spot where it clearly says so is for the Boss. But it's under a setting in the dash- not by tapping the button.

This is regards to the EPAS: http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...ower-steering/

Which may account for the stiffening.
That's why I don't totally buy it. I tried switching back and forth from Sport to normal and didn't notice anything drastic.
Old 1/16/11, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
That's why I don't totally buy it. I tried switching back and forth from Sport to normal and didn't notice anything drastic.
The differance is not drastic, but you can tell if you are tuned into the way the car feels. I would estimate it 33% more effort required.
Old 1/16/11, 08:02 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
The differance is not drastic, but you can tell if you are tuned into the way the car feels. I would estimate it 33% more effort required.
I've done some very spirited driving in Sport mode, and never physically noticed a difference in the amount of input it takes to maneuver. Wonder if it's just a psycho semantic thing that people think is happening because someone said it does.
Old 1/16/11, 08:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CandyRed2011
Has anyone tried this by holding the brake and hit the tradition button twice. What does this do?
Hitting the tradition button brings back customs and traditions from the old days, like churning butter and coonskin caps
Old 1/17/11, 07:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse
That's not a problem, thats a solution. Turn everything off and then try that. The problem is such an extreme loss in traction you go sideways and lose it. See the vid I posted with the white ZR1 that tries that.
What? Downshifting to 3rd at 60mph is no problem at all. I do it all the time.
Old 1/17/11, 10:38 AM
V6 Member

in sport mode....try to downshift at 60 into 3rd gear and my "nanny mode" kicks in and chokes the life out of the engine...anyone else have this problem ?

Are you not rev-matching on the downshift? Or do you just dump the clutch? You may end up facing the wrong way.

Agree with Sam. All on or all off. Should be always on for the street to help avoid surprises. (Might hear from Norm here). Doesn't suspend the laws of physics guys. Select off for autox or track only.

Drive safe.

Cheers.
Old 1/17/11, 10:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by IT_Guru
On all GT's or just with Brembo package? . . . .
I think it is all 2011 GT's only, prior years did not have the electronic power steering so it cannot affect the steering

EDIT: I just realized this is the 5.0 mods forum so of course we are talking about 2011 . . . well, probably, unless we are talking about the older 5.0 . . . anyway I think my post is still somewhat pertinent

Last edited by Bert; 1/17/11 at 10:52 AM. Reason: see "EDIT"
Old 1/19/11, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've done some very spirited driving in Sport mode, and never physically noticed a difference in the amount of input it takes to maneuver. Wonder if it's just a psycho semantic thing that people think is happening because someone said it does.
There is a difference. Your current alignment specs can mask the feel (or you need a BuTT tune....)
Old 1/19/11, 10:36 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
There is a difference. Your current alignment specs can mask the feel (or you need a BuTT tune....)
Funny you say that. I was sitting in a parking lot turning sport mode on and off and did notice a difference. I'm now a believer!
Old 1/19/11, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Funny you say that. I was sitting in a parking lot turning sport mode on and off and did notice a difference. I'm now a believer!
I'll have to try that, I've never noticed the difference before.
Old 1/19/11, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

do a blind selection test. Have a friend with you to either turn it to sport mode or leave it in place but don't let them say which mode it's in. Drive the car and then have them do it again but either turn it on or off (whichever was not done the first test) and see if you can tell a difference between the two tests.
Old 1/19/11, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

^You'd probably have to put some black tape over the warning light to make it a "blind" test...

Sport Mode basically lets the Nanny into the liquor cabinet for a few minutes... She's still there, but the rules are relaxed quite a bit!
Old 1/22/11, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

Sport Mode is awesome. It's something I really wish my 370Z had.
Old 1/26/11, 11:38 AM
V6 Member

I'm matching the revs.....but it only does it in sport mode !!!!
doesn't do it in regular mode......
I'm a pretty good driver......I kinda know what I'm doing.....I have designed and raced cars before.....
Old 1/26/11, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm matching the revs.....but it only does it in sport mode !!!!
doesn't do it in regular mode......
I'm a pretty good driver......I kinda know what I'm doing.....I have designed and raced cars before.....
I'm not sure what Rev matching has to do with what's being discussed here....Unless it's a reference to the 370 Syncro rev (which is an awesome system).....

Quick Reply: Sport mode