Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Oil level question

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/13, 04:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Same here!
Old 1/25/13, 04:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No tech can say whether or not a 1/2 quart will damage the engine. And who says that mark is only 1/2 a quart. The engine has a safe level for operation. Above or below that isn't good. If the car was supposed to have 9 quarts, then the manual would call for that. Our cars run safely at a certain A/F ratio correct? You can run it lean by half a point and might get lucky and not have an issue. But do you want to take that risk of damaging the engine? The point is the shop just pumped in the called for amount of oil and didn't check the level
Old 1/25/13, 05:05 PM
GT Member

The safe thing for the OP to do, is have the shop drain the oil and refill to a correct level. Lesson learned, and next time request them to be more careful.
Old 1/25/13, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponywars
You can quote all the text from your books you want!!Half a quart overfill will do no damage at all, period!!!And by you telling the op that it does or have him worry about being that much over is ridiculous.I want a qualified tech that everyone knows to come on here and tell me i,m wrong about 1/2 qrt over being harmful to an engine,unless its a lawn mower !!BTW does anyone know if the oil pan in our cars have a windage tray or baffles?
I must apologize for KNOWING what I'm talking about. I'm done with you.
Old 1/25/13, 05:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Thamac15
I must apologize for KNOWING what I'm talking about. I'm done with you.
Thank God!!!
Old 1/25/13, 07:26 PM
V6 Member

Got to say guy's B^tching to each other don't get the OP the answer he needs. How ever the manual probley says to check when hot, over or under full is bad, but I think they would consider a quart or more, not 1/2. you can't tell from the stick how much over it is because if the pan is deep or long that much on the stick could really be 2 quarts not 1/2. Look at diesel engines they hold 10 gals or more 1 gal low don't look like much. Drain it and refill if not sure how much over full it is.
Old 1/25/13, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those two should be considerate and get a room.

By the time they started calling each other pet names, the OP had surely understood there were at least two answers to his question, and if he's at all thoughtful, should have gone elsewhere for his information.

Seems to me "overserviced" is jargon, and justifiably denigrated in a non-technical group.
Old 1/25/13, 09:01 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drained some out today and I would say it was 1/4 to 1/2 a quart over. Not as large amount as I thought but still to much for my comfort. I've noticed at the end of my oil cycle I'm close to the bottom of the x's so I know it runs good down there. However I'm gonna keep an eye on it and see what it looks like in a few days.
Old 1/25/13, 09:21 PM
V6 Member

level

Originally Posted by JEdwards001
I drained some out today and I would say it was 1/4 to 1/2 a quart over. Not as large amount as I thought but still to much for my comfort. I've noticed at the end of my oil cycle I'm close to the bottom of the x's so I know it runs good down there. However I'm gonna keep an eye on it and see what it looks like in a few days.
Just currios how many quarts does the book state full is, 5.0L used to be 5 quarts unless it was in a truck, then it could have been 6-9
Old 1/25/13, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its 8 quarts now.
Old 1/25/13, 10:16 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Wow how did I miss this thread? This argument is stupid on top of stupid. No offense guys. 1/2 quart either way will not make a difference. Overfilled by enough may make a foaming condition but that's a good bit more than 1/2 quart. Really don't understand where this argument came from. And "overserviced" is a stupid word. Overfilled would be a suitable word since that is what happened.
Old 1/25/13, 11:30 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Wow how did I miss this thread? This argument is stupid on top of stupid. No offense guys. 1/2 quart either way will not make a difference. Overfilled by enough may make a foaming condition but that's a good bit more than 1/2 quart. Really don't understand where this argument came from. And "overserviced" is a stupid word. Overfilled would be a suitable word since that is what happened.
I agree, but you have to remember that some folks are highly educated and have pieces of paper on their walls. Doesn't matter if they know anything hands on about cars, have worked on cars, or have any real world knowledge, that diploma on the wall means that they are the most intelligent being on earth and anyone else is a window licking moron.

Not to stir the pot, but some of the worst mechanics and least real world knowledgeable people I have ever met had diplomas and certificates hanging all over the wall saying what great mechanics they are. And they were book smart, but they couldn't find their own **** without the aid of a diagnostic machine and a book to tell them every step to take to fix something. And usually needed some "wrench hand" to do most of the work, and they would step in and do the last part of it and claim all the glory. They also tend to be condescending to anyone else, rather than informative. Don't want to share the little book knowledge they have, would rather talk down to people and post about all of the school learning they have while belittling anyone else that has real hands on experience building engines and fixing cars.

On the flip side, the best mechanics I've known have been people that have worked on cars since they were kids, knew them inside and out, and didn't need **** to know what was wrong with them because they had seen it many times before.
Old 1/26/13, 09:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

EXTREMLY WELL SAID!!I tried very hard not to lose my cool with this guy and say something that would get me thrown off the forums.Give someone a piece of paper and you cant tell them ****.The op had to go through the BS of draining his oil out because of T15 convincing him he was in some kind of danger.I,m not a professional tech but have been a serious gear head for 38 years and i dont give anyone advice unless i know what i,m talking about.ALS Cobra,if you want to know where this argument started read Thamac15,s answers.I think thats pretty much it on this subject!!

Last edited by Ponywars; 1/26/13 at 09:37 AM.
Old 1/26/13, 10:47 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
/end thread