Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Oil level question

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/13, 01:50 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil level question

Is a little above the top dot to much? Less than 200 miles on fesh oil change.
Attached Thumbnails Oil level question-image-3965289774.jpg  
Old 1/24/13, 04:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JEdwards001
Is a little above the top dot to much? Less than 200 miles on fesh oil change.
How much did u add?? Did u let it drain fully? I usually drain out the oil when it's hot and leave the plug off for a good while before plugging it back
Old 1/24/13, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes it's too much. It's overserviced by as much as 1 qt. drain some out and re-check.
Old 1/24/13, 07:25 PM
GT Member

I got it changed at the oil shop. They told me when I went back today it was ok. To be a little over the mark. I didn't think so.
Old 1/24/13, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You are fine over that much,dont sweat it.Dont mean to be rude but anyone who tells you your not doesnt know what they are talking about,LEAVE IT!!!
Old 1/24/13, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ponywars
You are fine over that much,dont sweat it.Dont mean to be rude but anyone who tells you your not doesnt know what they are talking about,LEAVE IT!!!
I'm in shock that anyone would say this!!! Do you even know what the negative aspect of overserviced oil is? Good grief!

OP,...drain some out until you are within proper range. I WILL be rude and say that stupid motard is giving you extremely false information.

Last edited by Thamac15; 1/24/13 at 08:01 PM.
Old 1/24/13, 08:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would not touch it. Return to the shop that changed your oil and show them the owners manual concerning oil level. Then ask....no....tell them to make yours correct at no charge. Then never return.
Old 1/24/13, 08:08 PM
GT Member

I could be totally wrong with draining some out but with my supercharger increasing the crankcase pressure and me running the car above 7 grand occasionally I think less may be better as long as its in the normal limits. However the supercharger may not account at all. I like to be safe rather than sorry.
Old 1/24/13, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Yeah I went today and they said its fine so I've already made my decision about returning. I had every intention on doing my on oil changes but was being lazy that day. However now I realize why I like doing my own work. I can't trust very many people and I'm mechanically inclined enough to install my own supercharger I think I can change the oil. Lol
Old 1/24/13, 11:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would like to see a tech of some sort tell me that being over less than 1/2 a quart is bad for a motor!!!!!Then i will apologize for giving wrong advice.Until then i stand by what i say,leave it alone your good to go!!Less is not better especially running forced induction whether its a SC or TC.

Last edited by Ponywars; 1/24/13 at 11:31 PM.
Old 1/24/13, 11:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

BTW Thamac,Overserviced oil? You sound like a real genius to me,sorry if i,m being rude!
Old 1/25/13, 04:41 AM
GT Member

I've been told by several mechanics, that overfill is much worse than being a few qts low. I check mine in the parking lot of the shop, and if its overfilled I make them redo it. However, I always have the service adviser note the order "DO NOT OVERFILL" before it goes to the tech. The quicklube techs dont care, if it says to add 3.5qts, that is what they add. They don't even check afterward. I had a huge dent in the oilpan on my workvan, and it would take a .5qt less than recommended.
Old 1/25/13, 05:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Speaking of overfilling, dont go above the line with brake fluid. Dealer did that when I had em flush for DOT4 and it leaked all over the m/c and they had to respray my engine bay.
Old 1/25/13, 06:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

BTW Thamac,Overserviced oil? You sound like a real genius to me,sorry if i,m being rude!
I'm sorry if my mechanical terminology is unheard by your ears, but it is correct. I'm a craftsman mechanic on multiple airframes as well as diesel and gas engines and have been Cummings certified for the last 5 years. If you had the intellect to research overserviced engine oil then you'll see why it's a bad thing. Apparently you're too stupid to understand. Yes I'm being rude.
Old 1/25/13, 06:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Over fill is worse than being a little low. Will increase oil in cylinders and valve train because it can't drain back down correctly. Can cause blow by and worn rings.
Old 1/25/13, 09:37 AM
GT Member

I would like to see a tech of some sort tell me that being over less than 1/2 a quart is bad for a motor!!!!!Then i will apologize for giving wrong advice.Until then i stand by what i say,leave it alone your good to go!!Less is not better especially running forced induction whether its a SC or TC.
Well, I beleive he just told you.
Old 1/25/13, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes i know overfilling is bad for an engine,but not by what he is showing on the dip stick,a half of qrt of oil over will not have any negatives period!!!The op,s question was is a little above the top notch too much?Well yes its too much if its supposed to be at the full mark,but will it do any damage being over that much> NO WAY!!! and if you think (thamac15) that it is i suggest you get re certified in common sense!And Ross,he told me NOTHING! but that he is an arrogant moron who probably likes using big words to compensate for something very small.Good Grief! lol

Last edited by Ponywars; 1/25/13 at 11:48 AM.
Old 1/25/13, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes i know overfilling is bad for an engine,but not by what he is showing on the dip stick,a half of qrt of oil over will not have any negatives period!!!The op,s question was is a little above the top notch too much?Well yes its too much if its supposed to be at the full mark,but will it do any damage being over that much> NO WAY!!! and if you think (thamac15) that it is i suggest you get re certified in common sense!And Ross,he told me NOTHING! but that he is an arrogant moron who probably likes using big words to compensate for something very small.Good Grief! lol

If you're attempting to justify your lack of comprehension in regards to my diction, I assure you my command of language is not difficult to grasp. With that being said, on to the actual topic.

When you over service engine oil a few negative consequences can happen. For sake of time that I don’t have much of, I will give you a quick crash course. When your crankshaft is turning with a properly serviced oil reservoir (sump)it does not rotate in the oil sump, rather the oil pump distributes the oil through the proper tubing/passages onto moving parts to lubricate, cool, clean, and seal. Your crankshaft is turning with ease with no extra force. If you have too much oil in your sump then your crankshaft rotates hitting your oil, which creates froth. Your oil becomes aerated which causes a big problem and can lead to damage. Oil that becomes entrapped with air has air pockets within the oil causing the oils ability to lubricate difficult…if I need to explain why this is then you’re a lost cause and cannot think for yourself. Now back to your crankshaft, as its foaming up your oil its causing excessive crankcase pressure which leads to increase in blow by, cylinder pressure, etc. etc. etc. as well as damaging seals due to the increased pressure (#1 cause for oil leaks). I think you need to educate yourself on this topic before you begin to spread more misguided erroneous data.
Old 1/25/13, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

You can quote all the text from your books you want!!Half a quart overfill will do no damage at all, period!!!And by you telling the op that it does or have him worry about being that much over is ridiculous.I want a qualified tech that everyone knows to come on here and tell me i,m wrong about 1/2 qrt over being harmful to an engine,unless its a lawn mower !!BTW does anyone know if the oil pan in our cars have a windage tray or baffles?

Last edited by Ponywars; 1/25/13 at 03:32 PM.
Old 1/25/13, 03:43 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
This is why i change my own oil. Always have and always will

Quick Reply: Oil level question