Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

New MGW and Ford K Springs Review

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/14, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New MGW and Ford K Springs Review

After about of month of waiting for the new MGW to be made, I finally got it installed in addition to a 1.5" lowering with Ford Racing K Springs, bumpers, and Whiteline Adjustable Panhard Bar.

I got my 2014 GT/CS back in September and have about 7k on the odometer. It took some getting used to the stock shifter. I never had any lock-outs and have certainly found the rev limiter several times. The stock shifter always felt very loose and notchy with lots of slack and movement… especially at the neutral position. It was exactly how everyone else has described it.

MGW -
I knew from reading all of the posted articles that it is a big improvement over the stock shifter, but was still hesitant on the purchase. I thought "If it isn't broke, then why fix it?" Then I went to my local custom shop to talk about the lowering options and the guy convinced me to pull the trigger on the MGW. After the first drive, all I can say is HOLY CRAP! This is hands down one of the best purchases I have ever made on any vehicle. The shifter feels very smooth/precise and tight fitting...but not in a bad way at all. I don't notice any increased noise or vibration. This is the new MGW, so I don't know how it is in comparison to the older model. Maybe there was more vibration/noise in that one? Shifts through every gear are very smooth, most noticeably 1st into 2nd. I never liked shifting from 1st to 2nd on the original shifter because of the sloppiness of it. The difference between the MGW is night and day. It's pretty sad that the stock shifter that comes with these cars is so sub-par. Just a heads up...it took about a month for the MGW to be machined and shipped out.

Ford K Springs -
I decided to start with the springs mainly for the 1.5" lowering. I didn't think the handling would have much of a difference since I wasn't upgrading the shocks, struts. I changed out the stock bumpers for the Ford ones, and added a Whiteline Adjustable Panhard Bar. After install I noticed a HUGE improvement in the precision of turns. In addition, the front end lift when accelerating and dive when stopping is now nonexistent. As for the bumpiness of the ride, it's actually not bad at all. You can definitely feel a difference from stock, but in a good way. Stock always felt like I was driving a water bed...especially around turns. Not anymore. Definitely another good purchase. The guy at the shop said that it will even settle a little more than what it is at now, but I attached a before and after comparison. The wheel gap is a little difficult to notice because the before shot was taken under different lighting conditions, but it is very noticeable in person.

Now I just have to save up some more beans for wheels and tires
Attached Thumbnails New MGW and Ford K Springs Review-mgw.jpg   New MGW and Ford K Springs Review-before_after.jpg  

Last edited by Last1; 4/14/14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 4/14/14, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice job on the new lowered look. I'm thinking of installing the K springs too, but debating on whether to go with the P springs. I noticed a difference when I had the Whiteline panhard bar installed due to the OEM one that broke off.
Attached Thumbnails New MGW and Ford K Springs Review-image-2907974667.jpg   New MGW and Ford K Springs Review-image-1943515757.jpg  
Old 4/14/14, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I forgot to mention I recently had the Whiteline Watts link installed and man, there is a big difference in how it handles now.
Attached Thumbnails New MGW and Ford K Springs Review-image-2604185735.jpg  
Old 4/14/14, 04:14 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Originally Posted by sakol
I forgot to mention I recently had the Whiteline Watts link installed and man, there is a big difference in how it handles now.
Very nice.
How is cornering with the new set up?
Old 4/14/14, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys. The cornering is noticeably precise. I know shocks/struts and some other parts down there will improve it even more, but this is a fantastic start!
Old 4/14/14, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Very nice. How is cornering with the new set up?
Love them. Better handling for sure. No more sloshing around when driving. Everything's tighter and stiffer. I feel it most when doing hard turns. No more fear of flipping the car when I gun it doing sharp left and rights. Only downside is... My passengers complain about the bumpy rides.
Old 4/14/14, 06:53 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Originally Posted by Last1
Thanks guys. The cornering is noticeably precise. I know shocks/struts and some other parts down there will improve it even more, but this is a fantastic start!
She sure does look better too! God start man.

Originally Posted by sakol
Love them. Better handling for sure. No more sloshing around when driving. Everything's tighter and stiffer. I feel it most when doing hard turns. No more fear of flipping the car when I gun it doing sharp left and rights. Only downside is... My passengers complain about the bumpy rides.
Yeah,....I figured it was a lot better in the cornering. Nice set up.

Last edited by Stage_3; 4/14/14 at 06:55 PM.
Old 4/16/14, 03:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
It took some getting used to the stock shifter.

The stock shifter always felt very loose and notchy with lots of slack and movement… especially at the neutral position. It was exactly how everyone else has described it.

MGW -
The shifter feels very smooth/precise and tight fitting...but not in a bad way at all.

Shifts through every gear are very smooth, most noticeably 1st into 2nd. I never liked shifting from 1st to 2nd on the original shifter because of the sloppiness of it.

The difference between the MGW is night and day.
Congrats on the MGW!
I had mine done past week and been enjoying the shifts... well, almost.

It seems we share some similarities how we feel about the car - it took time to get used to the stock shifter for instance. Therefore I'd appreciate your advise.

You described the shifts are VERY smooth and yet TIGHT fitting. Could you be more specific on this. The reason why I'm asking is that mine seems to be just STIFF. Precise? hmm yes but Smooth? ehhh nope. Stiff, as in you need some muscle to shift but not necessary forcing it to engage into gears.
New MGW and Ford K Springs Review-image-932770334.jpg

Also, is this how we adjust the stiffness?
New MGW and Ford K Springs Review-image-1623895904.jpg
Old 4/16/14, 04:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Congrats on the MGW!
I had mine done past week and been enjoying the shifts... well, almost.

It seems we share some similarities how we feel about the car - it took time to get used to the stock shifter for instance. Therefore I'd appreciate your advise.

You described the shifts are VERY smooth and yet TIGHT fitting. Could you be more specific on this. The reason why I'm asking is that mine seems to be just STIFF. Precise? hmm yes but Smooth? ehhh nope. Stiff, as in you need some muscle to shift but not necessary forcing it to engage into gears.

Also, is this how we adjust the stiffness?
I believe it will adjust the play for 1st & 2nd only.
Old 4/16/14, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Paul,

I'll do the best I can in describing the way it feels without posting a video and perhaps someone else on here can give their take on it as well.

The shifter definitely feels tighter... with the stock shifter it felt like there was a lot of slack and wobble. If I had the shifter in neutral, I could wobble the shifter around a good 1/2"-3/4" or so in every direction. I hated this. With the MGW it hardly moves at all...a few millimeters if I had to put a number on it. The centering spring feels VERY strong on the MGW and so it pops exactly into the right place it needs to be in when shifting through gears...especially if you're doing it quickly. This is what I meant by precise. The stock spring seemed weak and sloppy. I never missed gears with the stock unit, but I can see how it would be very easy to do so. I also noticed that when shifing and depressing the clutch it seems much smoother now - like the two communicate better or something. Something before just felt "off" and not right. I can't quite explain it. I was very close to removing the clutch assist spring but decided to see the differece the MGW made. In addition to these points, the shorter shifts are fantastic. Before, I felt like the shift travel between gears was just way too long.

I didn't make any adjustments and I didn't install this myself. I had it done at a shop here in NJ called Krazy House Customs. They mod and rebuild everything from Shelbys to Raptors to Big a** trucks. They really did a fantastic job and the pricing was reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Last1; 4/16/14 at 07:04 PM.
Old 4/16/14, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman
I believe it will adjust the play for 1st & 2nd only.
That's what I hear from George. But I couldn't quite understand in what way this will change the behavior of 1-2 shifts.

In that install video, he demonstrates a few shifts after making reverse lockout adjustments. This particular scene looked like as if he made shifting 'smoother'.

Hey Paul,

I'll do the best I can in describing the way it feels without posting a video and perhaps someone else on here can give their take on it as well.

The shifter definitely feels tighter... with the stock shifter it felt like there was a lot of slack and wobble. If I had the shifter in neutral, I could wobble the shifter around a good 1/2"-3/4" or so in every direction. I hated this. With the MGW it hardly moves at all...a few millimeters if I had to put a number on it. The centering spring feels VERY strong on the MGW and so it pops exactly into the right place it needs to be in when shifting through gears...especially if you're doing it quickly. This is what I meant by precise. The stock spring seemed weak and sloppy. I never missed gears with the stock unit, but I can see how it would be very easy to do so. I also noticed that when shifing and depressing the clutch it seems much smoother now - like the two communicate better or something. Something before just felt "off" and not right. I can't quite explain it. I was very close to removing the clutch assist spring but decided to see the differece the MGW made. In addition to these points, the shorter shifts are fantastic. Before, I felt like the shift travel between gears was just way too long.

I didn't make any adjustments and I didn't install this myself. I had it done at a shop here in NJ called Krazy House Customs. They mod and rebuild everything from Shelbys to Raptors to Big a** trucks. They really did a fantastic job and the pricing was reasonable.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for such a kind reply!

"With the MGW it hardly moves at all...The centering spring feels VERY strong"
=This! explains the stiffness I'm experiencing. It feels very tight and firm. I just thought it's maybe too firm that I needed some adjustments.

Your shop has such a cool name, they rebuild Shelbys huh. Very cool. I did my install at the shop as well - they are the awesome superformance! guys - seems like we share the same blood
Old 4/17/14, 04:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

You're welcome. Glad that I could help a bit. Enjoy the ride!