Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

My Roush axel backs have a cracked weld

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/12, 08:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How does it sound with the new over axle pipes?
Old 2/8/12, 09:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So I get a call today from Stage 3 Motorports and they siad Roush now wants me to get under and clean off the rust and get a better picture of the cracked welds.. Really???
They told me they were sending me a new set and to return the old ones.. If they were not cracked then how did they get that way, exactly the same on bith ends of the canisters... I'm trying not to let my Blood pressure go up but I'm not getting back under my car and doing that. If i get back under the car I am taking them off and buying a new set, not sure which ones but they wont be ROUSH, thats for sure. They know there is an issue with these and now they are trying to get out of dong the right thing.....
Old 2/8/12, 09:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jacostang
So I get a call today from Stage 3 Motorports and they siad Roush now wants me to get under and clean off the rust and get a better picture of the cracked welds.. Really???
They told me they were sending me a new set and to return the old ones.. If they were not cracked then how did they get that way, exactly the same on bith ends of the canisters... I'm trying not to let my Blood pressure go up but I'm not getting back under my car and doing that. If i get back under the car I am taking them off and buying a new set, not sure which ones but they wont be ROUSH, thats for sure. They know there is an issue with these and now they are trying to get out of dong the right thing.....
Sounds like a real pain. I'm surprised they're making you do that. Is Bill helping you?
Old 2/8/12, 10:02 PM

I'll find out tomorrow and talk to Bill... Its not Stage 3 according to them its Roush. Waiting to see what they will do, I dont want Stage 3 to eat the cost of these, Roush knows there in an issue....
Old 2/8/12, 10:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I agree. I bet some people are just trying to get a new set out of it when there's nothing cracked on theirs. Or they've received some back that weren't cracked and only rusty. Bill's a good guy and I'm sure they'll do the right thing for you.
Old 2/9/12, 05:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats what they told me also when I called them up. They told me also for them to send me out a replacement set that I have to have a rusted through weld. I went underneath my car and cleaned the rust off the welds and noticed no crack or hole. I am sure though within the next 6 months or sooner though I will have a hole in them.
Old 2/9/12, 10:01 AM
GT Member

I had my car jacked up this morning to change my rear wheels and they drained a bit again. It seems where I drilled is not the ultimate spot for draining, unless you have a large quantity of water. For the record, it was a minimal amount that came out.

I am ditching the cats very soon. I have already removed the resonators. I am concerned that my already wonderfully obnoxious exhaust system is going to move into the realm of just obnoxious without cats. A muffler change, yet again, may be in my future...or I will have the resonators welded back in.

Mike
Old 2/9/12, 10:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Mike where do you think it would be optimal for the holes then?
Old 2/9/12, 10:09 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Mike where do you think it would be optimal for the holes then?
I would probably drill on the bottom, near the tips. That way, the natural squatting of the rear under acceleration would assist the water in draining through gravity.

Mike
Old 2/9/12, 10:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Good idea. I still haven't done mine yet, but then again I haven't driven it much either.
Old 2/9/12, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Drill two holes ans call it good! Lol
Old 2/9/12, 03:15 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll find out tomorrow and talk to Bill... Its not Stage 3 according to them its Roush. Waiting to see what they will do, I dont want Stage 3 to eat the cost of these, Roush knows there in an issue....
I know a person that works at stage 3. I will ask and see if I can get some info. They are helping me with intake part from roush. I heard one of the main mangers is on vacation right now.
Old 2/9/12, 07:18 PM

Got a call from John @ Stage 3 and told me to come and pick up my new set today!! Way to come through Stage 3. Once I get them off I will inspect them further and give them back to Stage 3 so they can send them back. The welds are much more enhanced thats for sure!
Old 2/10/12, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK... I got my set back from BOI and Roush (they worked together on my claim and I actually spoke to Chris at Roush and John via email @ BOI) with only the drivers side being replaced. They cleaned the mild surface rust off the passenger side can and tested it and found no leak. I'm a little miffed they just would not give me a whole new set but it dosn't matter at this point I love my FRPP sport exhaust now and will never buy another Roush product. That being said who wants them for a cheap price you have to pay the shipping.

Paul
Old 2/10/12, 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
OK... I got my set back from BOI and Roush (they worked together on my claim and I actually spoke to Chris at Roush and John via email @ BOI) with only the drivers side being replaced. They cleaned the mild surface rust off the passenger side can and tested it and found no leak. I'm a little miffed they just would not give me a whole new set but it dosn't matter at this point I love my FRPP sport exhaust now and will never buy another Roush product. That being said who wants them for a cheap price you have to pay the shipping.

Paul
You still need to drill the sports. Mine had plenty of water. No rust on them and the sound changed with the water build up
Old 2/10/12, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dusman59
You still need to drill the sports. Mine had plenty of water. No rust on them and the sound changed with the water build up
Soon as the weather warms up that will be my next mod.
Old 2/10/12, 03:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Under mine yesterday. Shook that pretty good, barely and water inside. Heard a tiny slosh.
Old 2/13/12, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Take a look at how much water comes out of these things when you are under load. Look at what happens when I start my burnout here, they are literally jetting water out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErWgF...ature=youtu.be
Old 2/13/12, 09:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin
Take a look at how much water comes out of these things when you are under load. Look at what happens when I start my burnout here, they are literally jetting water out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErWgF...ature=youtu.be
I couldn't see any water watching on my phone, but that was an impressive run sir! How do you like those tires?
Old 2/13/12, 09:43 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
I couldn't see any water watching on my phone, but that was an impressive run sir! How do you like those tires?
I don't really like them, to be honest. I had them in my shed because they were slated for my wagon. Wagon is still in paint jail, so I went ahead and used them for the Mustang. I could not get the car to get below a 1.85 60 foot, and on one run they were swaying so badly on the top end that I had to lift for fear of eating the wall. I think my suspension geometry needs attention as I have LCA relocation brackets set on the lowest setting with stock LCAs. Going to attend to that this month. That was my only "clean" run and I still spun hard and accidentally lifted early. This car has 11's in it, I just have to get them.

Mike

Quick Reply: My Roush axel backs have a cracked weld