5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MMR CAI Dyno round 2... same result...

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/10, 04:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMR CAI Dyno round 2... same result...

Took the car back to stock. Stock tune, stock airbox and did a pull, datalogged the pull and no computer pulling the throttle back was observed on this particular pull. Results= 380/361 STD. Installed MMR CAI, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, did another pull and the computer pulled the throttle and dyno results were 373/337 with the funky dyno graph results once again.

Installed our tune with adaptive tuning turned off and the car did the exact same thing. Computer pulled the throttle and no joy. I tried a few more times with no luck and even let the car sit for 1/2 hour with fans on just to see what might be going on.

Took the car off the dyno and on the very first pull thru the gears the computer did not pull the throttle and the car ran like a bat out of hell.

I had thought that turning adaptive learning off in the tune had solved this issue but that thought was bourne out of road test tuning the car, not on the dyno. Everytime I drove the car on the street and datalogged it the throttle was perfect but for some reason on the dyno its still pulling it back. I will be looking into this more and figuring it out.

FWIW seat of the pants with the MMR CAI is that it has helped to make more power, just how much will be determined after we figure this deal out. Track times coming soon.

JJ
Old 6/11/10, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like it doesn't like being strapped down.

Some do, some don't.
Old 6/11/10, 04:48 PM

It's great to see some comprehensive results, now I think it can be finalized that the MMR CAI on your car doesn't prefer the dyno

Do you think it's possibly because of the extra turn in the intake tract before the filter?
Old 6/12/10, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

JJ, is what is happening by the throttle closing also happening with the car stock or is this only after the MMR unit is installed?

i was thinking back when evo perf. was throwing out tidbits of info

is this maybe what they were talking about when they said "Raising the limiter, doesn't raise the limiter, I'll leave it at that...."
Old 6/12/10, 11:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JJ@WMS
Took the car back to stock. Stock tune, stock airbox and did a pull, datalogged the pull and no computer pulling the throttle back was observed on this particular pull. Results= 380/361 STD. Installed MMR CAI, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, did another pull and the computer pulled the throttle and dyno results were 373/337 with the funky dyno graph results once again.

Installed our tune with adaptive tuning turned off and the car did the exact same thing. Computer pulled the throttle and no joy. I tried a few more times with no luck and even let the car sit for 1/2 hour with fans on just to see what might be going on.

Took the car off the dyno and on the very first pull thru the gears the computer did not pull the throttle and the car ran like a bat out of hell.

I had thought that turning adaptive learning off in the tune had solved this issue but that thought was bourne out of road test tuning the car, not on the dyno. Everytime I drove the car on the street and datalogged it the throttle was perfect but for some reason on the dyno its still pulling it back. I will be looking into this more and figuring it out.

FWIW seat of the pants with the MMR CAI is that it has helped to make more power, just how much will be determined after we figure this deal out. Track times coming soon.

JJ

Sound like she is very touchy. Hope everyone takes their time with tunes or there are going to be some hurt motors out there.
Old 6/13/10, 07:13 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by m4reapr
JJ, is what is happening by the throttle closing also happening with the car stock or is this only after the MMR unit is installed?

i was thinking back when evo perf. was throwing out tidbits of info

is this maybe what they were talking about when they said "Raising the limiter, doesn't raise the limiter, I'll leave it at that...."
I have heard that some stock 5.0's are doing this as well but mine never did. I've got a few things I'm working on and will report back but I can assure you of one thing, raising the rev limit does raise the rev limiter.

Originally Posted by GRABOID
Sound like she is very touchy. Hope everyone takes their time with tunes or there are going to be some hurt motors out there.
This issue has nothing to do with "touchiness" or anything related to damaging of the engine thru tuning. Its an issue that is affecting power output on the dyno and not allowing us to properly test this particular product. We are working on this and will get it figured out soon enough. This is a very stout motor and I highly doubt anyone is going to be able to "hurt it" in N/A form without doing something incredibly stupid.

JJ
Old 6/13/10, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JJ@WMS
I have heard that some stock 5.0's are doing this as well but mine never did. I've got a few things I'm working on and will report back but I can assure you of one thing, raising the rev limit does raise the rev limiter.

This issue has nothing to do with "touchiness" or anything related to damaging of the engine thru tuning. Its an issue that is affecting power output on the dyno and not allowing us to properly test this particular product. We are working on this and will get it figured out soon enough. This is a very stout motor and I highly doubt anyone is going to be able to "hurt it" in N/A form without doing something incredibly stupid.

JJ

So its something to do with the resistance to the wheels on the dyno?
Old 6/17/10, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JJ,
what is the MAF size on the MMR.