Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Idle change from oil seperator install

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/15, 02:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
My idle is rock-steady before and after the Moroso catch can installation.
Old 3/3/15, 03:07 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Ok I know I am late. But Guess what. After letting it site I looked at it and mine does the same thing. it goes about 50 to 100 rpm. Not a big deal I think most cars do. Never noticed till you said something.
Lol cool cause it did the same thing even when I put the stock tube back on. And the idle only does this on mine after the car has been driven for a period of time and really warmed up. Thanks for getting back to me.

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 3/3/15 at 03:08 PM.
Old 3/3/15, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Man I thought I was a perfectionist noticing everything. Man you have me beat!!

No worries Been traveling.
Old 3/3/15, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I dont have the oil separator but I have that idle problem and many more do. Why it does it I do not know.
Old 3/3/15, 07:16 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Man I thought I was a perfectionist noticing everything. Man you have me beat!! No worries Been traveling.
Lol the only reason I noticed is because I read of someone having a vacuum issue after an oil seperator install. I had that in my head after my seperator install and caused me to notice the idle change. I guess it makes me feel better other people experience this as well.

Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
I dont have the oil separator but I have that idle problem and many more do. Why it does it I do not know.
I would really like to know why it does this!
Old 3/4/15, 04:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The idle changes on our cars because idle is now mostly controlled by ignition timing. That said the computer is constantly advancing then retarding the ignition timing, even at idle. This is done to keep the NOX down. This is what causes the RPM to swing up and down.
Old 3/4/15, 10:11 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man I thought I was a perfectionist noticing everything. Man you have me beat!!

No worries Been traveling.
Nope, I pay close attention when idling after warm up. My focus developed a an idle that would jump around a bit after a year on the road. I tried several things to fix it. Including cleaning the MAF sensor. Nothing fixed it. Then one day it started getting really bad, apparently the ECM was on its last legs. A new one was ordered, but the same issue persisted. I never did find out what was causing it, but I assume one of the sensors was dirty causing it to fluctuate. Car ran fine. but in the Focus' the ECM tended to go bad sometimes. Luckily I caught it right before the bumper to bumper warranty ended and had found a place (Tousley Ford) that sold them for $200.00 if it should happen to again (it was an easy replacement as it was built into the throttle body).

My mustang currently idles at 650rpm rock steady once it is warmed up and in gear. Before warm up and in park it will jump around a bit.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 3/4/15 at 10:14 AM.
Old 3/4/15, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you unhooked the battery to do the install, might try an idle relearn.
Old 3/4/15, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you review a data log of our cars while they are runing, even at idle the idle is constantly moving, and the timing is continuously changing. That's how the computer controls idle. It advnaces the timing then retards teh timing, continuously.
Old 3/4/15, 12:01 PM
Cobra Member

2014Gt what data logger do you use?
Old 3/4/15, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

2014Gt what data logger do you use?
Your SCT tuning tool will data log and you can use the free SCT data logging software right from their website to analyze.
Old 4/6/15, 05:53 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I put the stock hose back on for some warranty work and after driving it for a few days I noticed the idle stays constant with the stock hose on. So that obviously tells me there was some sort of vacuum leak with the steeda part installed. It's strange because I made sure everything was tight when I had it installed! After a few weeks of driving when I had the steeda separator installed I noticed barely any oil in the can anyways so I guess the stock hose will say on for now.
Old 4/7/15, 10:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Has anyone noticed an idle change from installing an oil seperator? Not sure if my car has done this before the oil seperator and I'm just paranoid but since the oil seperator it's seems to sometimes slightly drop to about 600-650 rpm from 750 during idle. Is that normal and I'm just being paranoid? I'm not to familiar with the crimp clamps that came with the steeda kit so I may get the screw clamps to make sure everything is tight.
Nope. If anything I've noticed that the idle has smoothed out. It would jump around a little bit during idle with A/C off, and it doesn't do that anymore.
Old 4/7/15, 02:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I put the stock hose back on for some warranty work and after driving it for a few days I noticed the idle stays constant with the stock hose on. So that obviously tells me there was some sort of vacuum leak with the steeda part installed. It's strange because I made sure everything was tight when I had it installed! After a few weeks of driving when I had the steeda separator installed I noticed barely any oil in the can anyways so I guess the stock hose will say on for now.
I'm all for Steeda but I sent back their separator when I realized that you had to cut the stock hose to install it. You have no back up and your car is deadlined if something goes wrong. I went JLT for that reason. After 3 years, the jlt fitting cracked at the hose and I had my stock hose to use until my new one came in.
Old 4/7/15, 04:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
I'm all for Steeda but I sent back their separator when I realized that you had to cut the stock hose to install it. You have no back up and your car is deadlined if something goes wrong. I went JLT for that reason. After 3 years, the jlt fitting cracked at the hose and I had my stock hose to use until my new one came in.
Steeda provides the hose with their kit. I wasn't happy with my first attempt at cutting the hose so I ended up cutting into the stock hose which ended up fitting decently on the second attempt. I went ahead and purchased another stock hose from the dealer for backup. It would be nice if steeda included the hose precut cause their is barely any room for error. Measure twice, cut once! Wish I took my own advice lol I think there is some sort of vacuum leak with the steeda kit installed so I have the stock hose on for now.
Old 4/7/15, 05:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Ok so I'm probably crazy but I noticed the idle doing the same thing with the stock hose on. Looks like I'll be putting the steeda seperator back on.
Old 4/7/15, 07:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
SONICBOOST,

Looks like all is well ... if you ever need anything ... you can reach me at tim@steeda.com!

The oil is based on how you drive ... the more aggressive you are ... the more oil you may see.

Best Regards,

TJ

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/7/15, 08:26 PM
Cobra Member

I have the Steeda and love it. I custom made a hose and have no issues. I just installed the track key and this car is an animal. If there was a vacuum leak I am sure it would be throwing a code? I noticed on the Steeda and a few others that if the can is not tight with the o ring not getting crimp what you described will happen.

Last edited by Jazzman442; 4/7/15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 4/8/15, 11:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
Mine came with the hose. It was a Ford factory replacement hose.