Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

I don't want my engine to blow up again. What tune?!

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/14, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want my engine to blow up again. What tune?!

Hey guys,

I have a 2011 Mustang GT that is completely stock right now except for a cat back system. I previously had a Steeda CAI, JBA Off road x pipe and custom dyno tune from a shop I used to work for. The tune was very aggressive (426 rwhp on a Mustang dyno) and popped my #8 cylinder. My #8 has popped twice now and has been fixed under warranty both times. I'm approaching the end of my factory warranty, but I want to put my parts back on my car. At this point I'm not worried with dyno numbers at all. All I want is to be able to put my parts back on, have no CEL, and not have to worry about my engine blowing up! Help me out!

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 11/14/14, 02:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Do you feel comfortable stating who did the tune? I would think a good shop who will either data log for real world data or dyno tune it would be your best bet. Also since you popped #8 did you try the MMR head cooling mod?
Old 11/14/14, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

KP Racing did the tune. They are a very good shop, but as I stated, it was a VERY aggressive tune.

I'd really like to do the MMR head cooling mod, but the difficulty of doing that with the engine in seems like it would be over my head.

Do you know of any possibilities of just tuning my car without trying for any performance gains? I just want to put my cai on because it looks good, and o/r x pipe because it sounds good.

I plan on building the engine when it's paid for (I only owe $7k on the car) so I just want my setup to last me until then.
Old 11/14/14, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
First, read my post here about the #8 from an engineers prospective https://themustangsource.com/forums/...e-look-529745/

Second, I would love the opportunity to get you setup with a tune. We can definitely do a tune without the aggressive timing changes. PM me if you are interested.

Third check out my other informative threads about tuning and the such

Cheers,
-Matt
Old 11/15/14, 08:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Hello,

Maximize that Steeda CAI with a Steeda Tune. Our tunes are very safe, reliable & powerful.

There are other tunes on the market that can offer more power ... but as you stated above ... there are many things that can happen when you push the envelope.

We take our tunes to safe levels to ensue engine failures or warranty claims are not going to happen.

Feel free to email me at tim@steeda.com if I can help with your tune or put you in contact with our lead tuner.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 11/16/14, 10:22 PM
Cobra Member

If you're a manual, Steeda. If you're an auto, vmp or Amazon.
Old 11/19/14, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G Wrecks
Hey guys,

I have a 2011 Mustang GT that is completely stock right now except for a cat back system. I previously had a Steeda CAI, JBA Off road x pipe and custom dyno tune from a shop I used to work for. The tune was very aggressive (426 rwhp on a Mustang dyno) and popped my #8 cylinder. My #8 has popped twice now and has been fixed under warranty both times. I'm approaching the end of my factory warranty, but I want to put my parts back on my car. At this point I'm not worried with dyno numbers at all. All I want is to be able to put my parts back on, have no CEL, and not have to worry about my engine blowing up! Help me out!

Thanks,
Garrett
Just curious, when you say it was fixed under warranty two times for popping #8, did you have a tune on it prior to that?
Old 11/19/14, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NacsMXer
Just curious, when you say it was fixed under warranty two times for popping #8, did you have a tune on it prior to that?

The first time I'm not sure. I bought the car used and it might have had a tune but I don't know. The second time, I had my mods installed with the tune.
Old 11/19/14, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I removed my CAI and exhaust and tune when I brought it to the dealership.
Old 11/19/14, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by G Wrecks
I removed my CAI and exhaust and tune when I brought it to the dealership.
That's crazy they still honored the warranty. Thanks for replying back. Aftermarket tuning on these cars leaves a permanent "fingerprint" which cannot be erased. I've read of person with a similar #8 problem but was denied warranty coverage due to the evidence of an aftermarket tune.

I guess you got lucky and they did not poke around looking for a history of a tune in your car too much.
Old 11/19/14, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NacsMXer
Aftermarket tuning on these cars leaves a permanent "fingerprint" which cannot be erased. I've read of person with a similar #8 problem but was denied warranty coverage due to the evidence of an aftermarket tune.
This is not true. It does NOT leave a "fingerprint". Read my post here https://themustangsource.com/forums/...e-look-530110/

There is a EEPROM counter when accessed through the MCU. However, it does not give any indication there was a tune on it, just that a diagnostic session was started with memory access..

Cheers,
-Matt
Old 11/22/14, 09:41 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Pfff, Ford should be able to detect this. Someone goes to a shop and gets a bunk *** tune. The car pops and they want it replaced under warranty. Smh
Old 11/22/14, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Pfff, Ford should be able to detect this. Someone goes to a shop and gets a bunk *** tune. The car pops and they want it replaced under warranty. Smh
If the tune is left on the ECU, then yes, it can be detected.
Old 11/29/14, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

Tranz??

If you have an auto. go with Mike Raush(Mid-Atlantic).
Old 12/5/14, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you pulled your plugs...what color were they to begin with. reguardless in order to pop as you say your lean as hell with that tune you got.
the stock fuel system can handle 550 rwhp with no issues.
i suggest getting ahold of lund racing....best tune period!!!!
dont try the rest just go with the best.
Old 12/8/14, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Hello,

Maximize that Steeda CAI with a Steeda Tune. Our tunes are very safe, reliable & powerful.

There are other tunes on the market that can offer more power ... but as you stated above ... there are many things that can happen when you push the envelope.

We take our tunes to safe levels to ensue engine failures or warranty claims are not going to happen.

Feel free to email me at tim@steeda.com if I can help with your tune or put you in contact with our lead tuner.

Best Regards,

TJ

I'm ready for my tune. As I stated earlier I'm not concerned with a dyno number. I already have a handheld and I just installed my o/r x pipe again so I don't want to drive it very long without a tune. Do I just add a tune to my cart on your website and then you contact me? How do we do this?

Thanks,
Garrett