Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

hypothetical: would you retrofit your S197 with 2015+ IRS (if it would fit?)

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/16, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I think questioning the S197s handling is a bit insulting. Here is mine yesterday. I have $1300 in suspension mods, and I'm running -2 deg of camber up front on street tires.

The 5.0 is a power house and with some decent suspension most other cars can suck it.

Try to get an S550 for $1300 more than your S197 is worth. Just saying.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 6/7/16 at 04:39 PM.
Old 6/8/16, 01:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I think questioning the S197s handling is a bit insulting...

You're kidding, right? Nobody ever said that they don't handle...but there is a reason that nobody uses the SRA anymore.

I love the Mustang's handling but it seems to m that it handles well mostly thanks to being a rigid platform and being able to hold some pretty good sized tires, especially with those camber plates.

So you're running negative camber up front? Wouldn't you run it out back if you could?

IRS has massive advantages, especially when you're away from the smooth pavement of a racetrack. It provides alignment options, allows for maintaining contact patch under cornering, controlling body movements, less unsprung mass...it all makes for a better driving/performing car.

Looking forward to checking out that video (when I'm back on my own WiFi)
Old 6/8/16, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
You're kidding, right? Nobody ever said that they don't handle...but there is a reason that nobody uses the SRA anymore.

I love the Mustang's handling but it seems to m that it handles well mostly thanks to being a rigid platform and being able to hold some pretty good sized tires, especially with those camber plates.

So you're running negative camber up front? Wouldn't you run it out back if you could?

IRS has massive advantages, especially when you're away from the smooth pavement of a racetrack. It provides alignment options, allows for maintaining contact patch under cornering, controlling body movements, less unsprung mass...it all makes for a better driving/performing car.

Looking forward to checking out that video (when I'm back on my own WiFi)
Honestly, if I could do any 4 things to the car I'd choose these in this particular order:
1) I'd shave 300 pounds
2) Add carbon ceramic brakes
3) Add MR dampers
4) Add 80hp

I'd leave my suspension alone. I think it's perfect.

But I'm not like most people, I don't care about how it feels over bumps. I made my SRA work for me. At the track I pass Corvettes (C7, C6, C5), Miatas, S2000s, BMWs .... all of which have IRS. And it doesn't matter. I will personally keep the SRA and keep the weight savings over IRS. My car is a road course warrior and a muscle car, not Fast and Furious Japanese tuner or a refined European sedan. I like that driving it is not so much like riding a horse, it's like breaking one. I like the raw, angry and abrupt nature of my car. It puts a smile on my face every day, and makes me a better driver.

With the setup I have it doesn't need camber in the back. Factory setting is -0.7 on the rear. That's enough. -2 up fronts makes it oversteer, and a stiff front bar balances it out to neutral. It has tremendous front end grip which leads to good turn in and great mid corner traction. I can pull over 1g sustained. The rear does a good job keeping up with the front, and I can always induce rotation with throttle. And the rear still launches nice and hard in a straight line. With the Steeda springs, Koni yellows and Steeda PH bar I have no wheel hop at all. To me this is perfection.

Even though the SRA has been around for 2000 years I hold nothing against it. IRS is cool, and works well in other cars. But in my car I'm 100% happy with my SRA.
The following users liked this post:
boss man (6/9/16)