Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

How Long Does An Engine Idle Relearn(After Tuning) Take?

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/13, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never used the Livewire before the handheld has a KAM reset function built into one of the options menus. I noticed it after a software update a while baci. If you do not see the function, you can disconnect the battery and turn on the headlights for 20 minutes. Turn the lights off then reconnect the battery to do a KAM reset.
Old 3/11/13, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MorePowerTuning
The Livewire TS doesn't always reset KAM when it installs a new tune. First thing I would suggest is simply returning to stock and re-installing the exact same tune.

This has happened to me more than once and that usually cures it. Now that being said there are certain tune changes that will cause this as well.

Hope this helps.
-Mike
I performed your suggestion... I think it may have worked. I'll monitor it for the next few days, but I'll still contact the shop tomorrow afternoon. Thanks!
Old 3/12/13, 12:03 PM
Former Vendor

Good to hear. Let us know what happens.
Old 3/13/13, 09:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sloppymax
I have never used the Livewire before the handheld has a KAM reset function built into one of the options menus. I noticed it after a software update a while baci. If you do not see the function, you can disconnect the battery and turn on the headlights for 20 minutes. Turn the lights off then reconnect the battery to do a KAM reset.
and leave the ket in the ON position during the 20 minutes.
Old 3/13/13, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MorePowerTuning
Good to hear. Let us know what happens.
Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break
and leave the ket in the ON position during the 20 minutes.
Thanks for all the helpful info... unfortunately, it seems like the issue is still there. It seems to idle fine from a cold start, but it starts acting up after a little driving then stopped at a street light or stop sign.

Taking it back to the shop in the a.m. to show them the problem.
Old 3/15/13, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

UPDATE: So after taking CAI apart, cleaning MAF sensor, cleaning throttle body, re-assembling CAI, and checking all connections, disconnecting/re-connecting battery, etc., etc., the idle surge is still occurring. This is after a second visit to the shop. They were able to reduce the surging... to the point that at least it doesn't feel like it's about to die out on me while at a complete stop. It looked like the shop corrected it, but I noticed that it was still occurring awhile later. It seems that if I turn on the A/C, it idles more steady.

Next step... acquire Windows-based laptop... install SCT software... data-log with SCT Livewire TS and laptop... begin remote tuning with another tuner. Any suggestions?
Old 3/16/13, 05:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Steeda email 93 tune!
Old 3/16/13, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bigblue11
Steeda email 93 tune!
+1..
Old 4/24/13, 02:13 PM

J tunne, I have the same issue. Same idle video also, I hate it I am down to replacing the spark plugs and tps because I have done everything after that I am taking it in.
Old 4/24/13, 03:09 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Darkknight02007
J tunne, I have the same issue. Same idle video also, I hate it I am down to replacing the spark plugs and tps because I have done everything after that I am taking it in.
Are you running a custom tune as well?
Old 4/24/13, 05:28 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I just installed the airraid CAI and no tune... I was thinking about doing a tune in the future... But all these issues I am hearing (besides the op) is scaring me. I am tempted just to leave it stock
Old 4/24/13, 07:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Had Steeda 93 tune and now a custom tune since I got rid of my Boss intake and added a Lethal off road h-pipe. Have had a tune for over 15,000 miles. Have had tune with stock CAI, Steeda CAI with the Boss intake and now back to stock intake and JLT CAI with the off road pipe. As long as you get a tune from a reputable tuner you will be fine. There are some rare cases of issues, but a good tuner will be able to get that fixed.
Old 4/24/13, 07:48 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by conv_stang
Had Steeda 93 tune and now a custom tune since I got rid of my Boss intake and added a Lethal off road h-pipe. Have had a tune for over 15,000 miles. Have had tune with stock CAI, Steeda CAI with the Boss intake and now back to stock intake and JLT CAI with the off road pipe. As long as you get a tune from a reputable tuner you will be fine. There are some rare cases of issues, but a good tuner will be able to get that fixed.
Issue is, I'm farrrrrrrr away from a reputable tuner. So if I do tune, will have to be a preordered tune from bama, steeda, or vmp. Am just still worried about "not running smooth" issues... Like idle issues, surge issues, hesitation, etc. IMO, not worth it if chance of those issues
Old 4/24/13, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

Issue is, I'm farrrrrrrr away from a reputable tuner. So if I do tune, will have to be a preordered tune from bama, steeda, or vmp. Am just still worried about "not running smooth" issues... Like idle issues, surge issues, hesitation, etc. IMO, not worth it if chance of those issues
I understand, I didn't have any issues with Steeda at all.
Old 4/25/13, 04:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FromZto5
You get a tune from Brookspeed or VMP they are as smooth as butter. No issues at all.
Old 4/25/13, 04:48 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0

You get a tune from Brookspeed or VMP they are as smooth as butter. No issues at all.
Yeah I heard good things about vmp. So I take it they sell the sct tuner with a preloaded tune? I might have to think about this
Old 4/25/13, 06:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
When we send out a tune it is usually spot on ... Gus is great at making these tunes work the first time around. Sometimes, these cars react differently ... that is when we need to do some adjustments or data log to make sure it is spot on. There are minor hick-ups that occur but nothing that will cause your engine to fail.

OP ... send me your email address and we will see if Gus can see what is taking place. Who is your original tuner?

If your looking for a safe & powerful tune ... then you should look no further than Steeda. We have had a lot of success with our tunes - 0 issues to date when it comes to Warranty claims and engine failures.

I would love to help anyone out or answer any additional questions at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/25/13, 01:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
When we send out a tune it is usually spot on ... Gus is great at making these tunes work the first time around. Sometimes, these cars react differently ... that is when we need to do some adjustments or data log to make sure it is spot on. There are minor hick-ups that occur but nothing that will cause your engine to fail.

OP ... send me your email address and we will see if Gus can see what is taking place. Who is your original tuner?

If your looking for a safe & powerful tune ... then you should look no further than Steeda. We have had a lot of success with our tunes - 0 issues to date when it comes to Warranty claims and engine failures.

I would love to help anyone out or answer any additional questions at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Steeda for Life

Name:  IMG_20130314_161456.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  71.6 KB
Old 4/25/13, 03:29 PM

My new-to-me 05 is doing it too, dealer said it's air intake to the throttle body or something? (a bit mechanically challenged) and probably due to sitting in the garage for the last 2 years. She is bone stock...original tires!

1. ONLY in park, and ONLY with the AC on, it will idle up/down, typically doesn't die, but acts like it. Acts normal otherwise.

2. More evidence the TB is acting up is the gas pedal, there is a hesitation when you initially hit the gas, only for a second, and only the 1st inch or so of pedal, then it will hit and go...makes putting around in a parking lot interesting.

Gonna get the throttle body cleaned/or replaced and see if it fixes....Anybody want to recommend a after market throttle body?

Last edited by Ledhed; 4/25/13 at 03:31 PM.