5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Going sideways on WOT

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/13, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
+1 with the others on tires.
Also +1 on not smashing the gas right away, and "rolling" onto the throttle instead of "Jumping" on it.

Part of the idea of Traction Control is to attempt to keep the vehicle straight while you're hammering on it. TCS can apply bakes at individual wheel which are slipping. The LSDs on our cars keep both rear wheels slipping, but TCS will clamp the brakes on both rear wheels at once. (I don't think the Mustang system reduces engine torque, but that's also common on a lot of vehicles). Particularly when you also have steering angle information (like on our Mustangs) and Yaw Rate information (like on our Mustangs). Keeping TC ON should give you straighter launches, but not as good of a burnout or 0-60 when compared to Driver's Best Effort. (I work for a company that makes ABS/TCS/VDC systems among other things by the way)

But I think you're physically overwhelming the traction your rear tires have. My 2014 has 19x9 wheels and 255 tires. I think that's not enough, and I'll be updating to a 275 or 285 setup soon on 19x9.5 wheels. I'd recommend you get wider, stickier tires.
Old 12/11/13, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco
It momentarily adds braking on and off to the wheel it detects spinning, hoping that pause will regain stickiness to the surface.
This is true only for earlier systems which don't include VDC. These days when you have VDC it will also co-operate with the TCS system to keep the vehicle yaw close to 0 deg/s when you're doing a WOT launch. It's a closed loop controller which compares the vehicle reference speed (derived based on front wheel speed, mathematically transformed to the vehicle center of mass or front axle) to the rear wheel speeds, and if there is more than ~10% slip on the rear, the system will clamp down the brakes till the slip is less than the control target.

But I fully agree, if you want either a good burnout, or best possible launch, TC should be OFF unless you have Launch Control. Launch Control will optimize wheel slip to obtain the best possible acceleration given environmental factors.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 12/11/13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12/12/13, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great tips.

So tire/wheel upgrade is in order.

UCA and LCA would not help, though?
Old 12/12/13, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tormz
Thanks everyone for the great tips.

So tire/wheel upgrade is in order.

UCA and LCA would not help, though?
I'm not too well versed in suspension setup, but control arms are for the font end. Your issues seems to be with traction on the back end, and I'm not sure how control arms could help with this. I would think a panhard bar and brace might help keep the rear axle in check.
Old 12/12/13, 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would do Tire wheel first. go with 10 inch rear rim with 275s .

I did this and it hooks alot better.
Old 12/12/13, 01:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
whats the issue??

LOL!
Old 12/12/13, 02:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
whats the issue??
Lol TMS delivers once again!
Old 12/12/13, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I'm not too well versed in suspension setup, but control arms are for the font end. Your issues seems to be with traction on the back end, and I'm not sure how control arms could help with this. I would think a panhard bar and brace might help keep the rear axle in check.
These cars have control arms in the rear that need to be addressed with traction. Yes they will help as well as lower control arm relocation brackets. Especially if your car is lowered.
Old 12/12/13, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
These cars have control arms in the rear that need to be addressed with traction. Yes they will help as well as lower control arm relocation brackets. Especially if your car is lowered.
Ah, thanks for the correction.
Old 12/13/13, 05:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can just about get my street tire setup to hook from a dig, just slip the clutch and come into the power "even" not just smashing the gas, if I am bored and want to do some "driving" I will do what you are doing for some fun.

I don't roll all the way into the pedal till around 4500 rpm when the tire starts to hook up.

What mods on the car?
Old 12/13/13, 08:49 AM

Old 12/17/13, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

It's been quite a while since I lowered my car but I think I remember being pleased with the fact that it could put the power down pretty well after having experience a pulleyed GT 500. The way it sits now I can't get **** for traction. I can't go full throttle until third gear. This is after installing BMR springs and then relo brackets. This past weekend I installed BMR LCA's. They look nice but had no effect on my (lack of) traction. Bosses come with 285 Pirelli's which are a cut above the GT all weather tires. Mine sure don't hook.
Old 12/18/13, 07:42 AM

Did you check your Pinion angle in a manual trans it should be -2 to -3. After lowering your car you will need a adj upper control arm to get this setting unless you were able to obtain it with your relocation brackets.
Old 12/18/13, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 65sohc
It's been quite a while since I lowered my car but I think I remember being pleased with the fact that it could put the power down pretty well after having experience a pulleyed GT 500. The way it sits now I can't get **** for traction. I can't go full throttle until third gear. This is after installing BMR springs and then relo brackets. This past weekend I installed BMR LCA's. They look nice but had no effect on my (lack of) traction. Bosses come with 285 Pirelli's which are a cut above the GT all weather tires. Mine sure don't hook.
This makes me sad.
Old 12/18/13, 06:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stew5.0
Did you check your Pinion angle in a manual trans it should be -2 to -3. After lowering your car you will need a adj upper control arm to get this setting unless you were able to obtain it with your relocation brackets.
This^
&

This
Name:  ForumRunner_20131218_200051.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  19.8 KB

=cure for cancer
Old 12/19/13, 04:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tormz
Stock wheels/tires 18x8 Pirellis
The factory tires SUCK!
Originally Posted by Bocefus
Don't smash the throttle till u have traction. Or just get slicks
Well slicks are not really legal on the street (I think drag radials may be though)
Well I have a question, to kinda muddy the pool, What would LCAs do for you? (by them selves) or should you only instal brackets LCAs and UCAs all at once?
Old 12/20/13, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fudge
Well I have a question, to kinda muddy the pool, What would LCAs do for you? (by them selves) or should you only instal brackets LCAs and UCAs all at once?
No flexing of the lower control arms like the stock ones. You need lower control arm relocation brackets if you are lowered to get the correct geometry back. Same with the upper control arm. When you lower the car the pinion angle needs to be brought back into spec. These things are more important for a manual car than an auto.
Old 12/21/13, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
All this talk to TC, VDC, blah blah is really just muddying the waters of what is a basic physical reality of a SRA RWD car.

You have rotational motion having its direction changed at the axle. the pinion gear is trying to twist the rear axle as it enters the case at the pinion shaft, this unweights one side slightly more than the other, leading to the slight creep. No control arm is going to completely eliminate this situation. This is also why it's a little easier to hang the tail out going left than right on most rwd sra cars.

Getting a full straight 11 is as easy as completely overwhelming the traction limits of the tires, reducing this unweighting.
Old 12/21/13, 11:20 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LHO
All this talk to TC, VDC, blah blah is really just muddying the waters of what is a basic physical reality of a SRA RWD car.

You have rotational motion having its direction changed at the axle. the pinion gear is trying to twist the rear axle as it enters the case at the pinion shaft, this unweights one side slightly more than the other, leading to the slight creep. No control arm is going to completely eliminate this situation. This is also why it's a little easier to hang the tail out going left than right on most rwd sra cars.

Getting a full straight 11 is as easy as completely overwhelming the traction limits of the tires, reducing this unweighting.
I've read some chicken feed in may day but I reiterate...

Old 12/21/13, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
This is why people airbag one side at the dragstrip: There is NOT equal pressure on both tires at the road surface under load. Equalizing this will help limit sidesway.

I get the walk coming out of the burnout box at the track; it's a bit hard to hold doing the three-legged race down there without a line lock. Not too big an issue at the start line as I can pretty much dead hook at my launch rpm with the tires I have at the power level I'm at, assuming they've prepped the track.

Quick Reply: Going sideways on WOT