Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

General GMAX AS-03 tires

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/14, 02:54 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
General GMAX AS-03 tires

Anyone running them on there Mustang that they could comment on? The good the bad etc.
Old 12/14/14, 03:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I have them. 275/40-18s. I won't bore you with the story of my decision making process. Suffice to say I just figured I'd give them a try, and I wanted all seasons, not summers.

So far, they're... not bad, actually. But I will say this right out front. They do not hold a candle to the previous-to-my-acquisition-of-2010-GT500-Convertible-wheels 235/55-17 Coopers. In no way shape or form. The Cooper Zeon RS3-A is hands down the best tire I've ever had on any car... which is saying a lot, because I used to tout the BFG Touring TAs. Those were excellent too.

And if I could get the RS3-A, and not the RS3-S, in the right size for my big *** 18" wheels, then I would. I'd pay *extra*. Alas.

But anyway, not what you wanted to hear.

The GMax AS-03 is a pretty nice looking tire, I think. It looks aggressive on the car, especially as wide as I've got them. They are directional, which means no cross rotations are going to happen, just front and back, if you get the same size all 'round. The tread is a good looking 'gatorback' type of tread, and the sidewall isn't unattractive at all. It's a squarish tire, meaning it doesn't roll into the tread from the sidewall, although at a 40 sidewall for mine, how much of that can you get?

They seem to grip very well in all conditions I've been met with, which is primarily cold, warm and hot, wet and dry. I have not had the freeze on them yet, nor have I had (and likely won't without some travelling somewhere) snow, so I can't help you with any snow traction info. I have had no unconfident times in the car, either when I'm being serious or playin' around. It WILL lose grip if you want it to, but what tire doesn't? Unless you're seriously horsing around, the tires will grip. And the car is always under control, so far as I've found. I'm sure others have way more grip, especially summers, and again, compared to the Coopers, they aren't as good. Those Coopers... sorry, sidetrack again. Really liked those.

The GMax's are, unfortunately, a little loud. It sounds like a very muted 4x4, or maybe the beginnings of wheel bearings going out. But it's not, it's just the tread being the tread, and being noisy. It's not *terrible*, once you know what's up, but at first? Yeah. A little disquieting. I don't even really notice it anymore, but... I'm not sure they'll be back when the next round comes up. However, I'm not debating that yet, I will when it's time.

They have this wear indicator on them, right down the middle strip that goes all the way round. It's kinda cheesy, but hey... it'll say right out "REPLACE" so you have about zero excuse when it comes up.

Wear seems to be pretty ok. I got them at about 108,000, and currently she's got 116K on her. They look to me that they will indeed get to the 40K mark as advertised, but I'm keeping a log of things, just for this reason.

Steering response, well.. I can't honestly compare them, because I switched from Cooper /55s to these at /40s, so that's going to be a heck of a difference right there. But to me, the tire doesn't seem to be sloppy on the sidewall flex (then again, I'm not a racer), a thing those Coopers would be a little disconcerting when you took a flyover at 70... they'd sort of slosh the car over, but then it'd hold fine. The GMax just seems to steer in as you'd think, and just go around the flyover pretty as you please. (Of course, I'm talking dry/warm-hot.. not sure I'd take the flyover at 70 in the rain/cold...)

One last thing. They flatspot a tad when they sit about. It's not very noticeable at 40 or so, but at freeway speeds, yeah. You'll feel that. About a mile or two down the freeway and it'll go away.

About all I got for ya. Hope it helps. Again, not sure I'll get 'em again, but if you can handle the flatspot issue and the noisy tread, I don't think you'd hate them, and for the money... it's not a bad choice to consider.

YTMV, of course. Good luck!

Last edited by houtex; 12/14/14 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12/14/14, 05:56 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by houtex
I have them. 275/40-18s. I won't bore you with the story of my decision making process. Suffice to say I just figured I'd give them a try, and I wanted all seasons, not summers.

So far, they're... not bad, actually. But I will say this right out front. They do not hold a candle to the previous-to-my-acquisition-of-2010-GT500-Convertible-wheels 235/55-17 Coopers. In no way shape or form. The Cooper Zeon RS3-A is hands down the best tire I've ever had on any car... which is saying a lot, because I used to tout the BFG Touring TAs. Those were excellent too.

And if I could get the RS3-A, and not the RS3-S, in the right size for my big *** 18" wheels, then I would. I'd pay *extra*. Alas.

But anyway, not what you wanted to hear.

The GMax AS-03 is a pretty nice looking tire, I think. It looks aggressive on the car, especially as wide as I've got them. They are directional, which means no cross rotations are going to happen, just front and back, if you get the same size all 'round. The tread is a good looking 'gatorback' type of tread, and the sidewall isn't unattractive at all. It's a squarish tire, meaning it doesn't roll into the tread from the sidewall, although at a 40 sidewall for mine, how much of that can you get?

They seem to grip very well in all conditions I've been met with, which is primarily cold, warm and hot, wet and dry. I have not had the freeze on them yet, nor have I had (and likely won't without some travelling somewhere) snow, so I can't help you with any snow traction info. I have had no unconfident times in the car, either when I'm being serious or playin' around. It WILL lose grip if you want it to, but what tire doesn't? Unless you're seriously horsing around, the tires will grip. And the car is always under control, so far as I've found. I'm sure others have way more grip, especially summers, and again, compared to the Coopers, they aren't as good. Those Coopers... sorry, sidetrack again. Really liked those.

The GMax's are, unfortunately, a little loud. It sounds like a very muted 4x4, or maybe the beginnings of wheel bearings going out. But it's not, it's just the tread being the tread, and being noisy. It's not *terrible*, once you know what's up, but at first? Yeah. A little disquieting. I don't even really notice it anymore, but... I'm not sure they'll be back when the next round comes up. However, I'm not debating that yet, I will when it's time.

They have this wear indicator on them, right down the middle strip that goes all the way round. It's kinda cheesy, but hey... it'll say right out "REPLACE" so you have about zero excuse when it comes up.

Wear seems to be pretty ok. I got them at about 108,000, and currently she's got 116K on her. They look to me that they will indeed get to the 40K mark as advertised, but I'm keeping a log of things, just for this reason.

Steering response, well.. I can't honestly compare them, because I switched from Cooper /55s to these at /40s, so that's going to be a heck of a difference right there. But to me, the tire doesn't seem to be sloppy on the sidewall flex (then again, I'm not a racer), a thing those Coopers would be a little disconcerting when you took a flyover at 70... they'd sort of slosh the car over, but then it'd hold fine. The GMax just seems to steer in as you'd think, and just go around the flyover pretty as you please. (Of course, I'm talking dry/warm-hot.. not sure I'd take the flyover at 70 in the rain/cold...)

One last thing. They flatspot a tad when they sit about. It's not very noticeable at 40 or so, but at freeway speeds, yeah. You'll feel that. About a mile or two down the freeway and it'll go away.

About all I got for ya. Hope it helps. Again, not sure I'll get 'em again, but if you can handle the flatspot issue and the noisy tread, I don't think you'd hate them, and for the money... it's not a bad choice to consider.

YTMV, of course. Good luck!
Actually you are a big help as the Cooper RS3 A is also on my list so of tires I'm thinking about and my local dealers has both the General and the Cooper. Now it looks like I will Put the Coopers ahead of the Generals.
Old 12/19/14, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want the best performance all season tire for your car the Continental DWS should be the only tire on your list. Pretty much the same price as the General and Cooper and SO much better. If you want to know more there is plenty of threads in suspension area praising these tires.
Old 12/29/14, 01:29 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have had the Conti DWS, and currently the Cooper RS3A.

I prefer the Coopers. I give the Contis a nod in the snow. The Coopers better in rain & dry. In my neck of the woods the Coopers are cheaper at local dealers.

One man's opinion....
Old 12/29/14, 01:34 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Volare, oh oh
Cantare, oh oh oh oh
Old 12/29/14, 01:38 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mhazelwd
Volare, oh oh
Cantare, oh oh oh oh