Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

FRPP X-Pipe......>

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/11, 12:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never mind, i guess 30nm is only around 2x lb-ft... Just seems tight because the clamp ends are making full contact and my torque wrench doesn't even click off at 20nm yet.
Old 4/30/11, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
How about torque specs... The clamps say 30nm plus/minus 2nm... Is that right? Seems awfully tight, don't want to shear the head off the bolt.
Tighter the better...Mine tightened until the clamp ends were butting together. I've got a calibrated wrist and rarely use a torque wrench...
Old 4/30/11, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

I think this might be a lost cause and the X might just be one heaping pile of crap. One flange connection is perfect, the other leaks horribly! I have one more thing to try... I keep telling myself that... One more thing.
Old 4/30/11, 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

Decided to redo the cat flanges with a nice bead of high temp silicone. Letting it set now, hopefully it works....
Old 4/30/11, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Decided to redo the cat flanges with a nice bead of high temp silicone. Letting it set now, hopefully it works....
Seems like this did the trick. I let it set for an hour to dry, started it up, and had no leaks. Im going to let it sit a while longer to cure, but hopefully this is what does it.

Now I think would be a good time to go to the hospital. I'll check in with you guys later after I get to drive it some.
Old 4/30/11, 03:07 PM
GTR Member

While I can't speak for the FRPP pipe, the Corsa said to tighten down the cat flanges before mounting anything else to the system. I had the front lined up no problem and tightened down before connecting the mid-pipes and never had a leak up front. I did, however, have to use some copper make-a-gasket on the driver's side portion, where Corsa decided to split the pipe. It leaked like a sieve right at that joint. Thinking of getting it welded in the mean time.
Old 4/30/11, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

What I ended up having to do to get this to line up properly was use a loop ratchet on the cats right ahead of the flange to pull them together about 1/4". After i applied a generous bead of high temp silicone to the x pipe flange, I used a second loop ratchet to pull the X pipe into the cat flanges. I did all this while the mid pipe section was supported by a box at its normal height.

I made sure to orient the clamps exactly like they are in Modshack's picture and then tightened them securely. I removed the loop ratchets and then tightened the rear flanges. This seems to have done the trick, but only time will tell... I need to drive it and see how it holds up.

Overall this has been one of the worst experiences of my life.
Old 4/30/11, 05:14 PM
Cobra Member

What I ended up having to do to get this to line up properly was use a loop ratchet on the cats right ahead of the flange to pull them together about 1/4". After i applied a generous bead of high temp silicone to the x pipe flange, I used a second loop ratchet to pull the X pipe into the cat flanges. I did all this while the mid pipe section was supported by a box at its normal height.

I made sure to orient the clamps exactly like they are in Modshack's picture and then tightened them securely. I removed the loop ratchets and then tightened the rear flanges. This seems to have done the trick, but only time will tell... I need to drive it and see how it holds up.

Overall this has been one of the worst experiences of my life.

Sound brutal man. So was it worth it lol?
Old 4/30/11, 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

Ok, driving impressions:

This DEFINITELY is no for you if you like a more traditional American V8 sound.

If you like a more refined, European sound, read on:

The X pipe did everything I wanted and expected it to do with the sound. Like Steve mentioned, the exhaust sounds a lot smoother in general due to the blending of the exhaust pulses. With my FRPP Sports / Borla S-Types the exhaust sounds a little bit quieter and more tame under normal acceleration. The H pipe was a lot more raucous and unrefined. The X sounds tuned and has a much higher pitch to it than the H.

It has a lot more of a wail to it compared to the roar of the H. It sounds fantastic in the mid range especially. In a way it sounds like the old 2v 4.6 liters now. It doesn't have that hollow sound, its more meaty, but it definitely has the wail.

On deceleration / coast down the exhaust sounds a lot smoother as well. It isn't anywhere near as raw or crackly as the H pipe. It definitely sounds aggressive, but no longer does it sound obnoxious and unrefined.

Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with the sound. I prefer a more refined, Euro tone and this definitely delivers. I am very happy with it. If you prefer a more raw sound then you should probably keep your H pipe, but if you're like me then you cannot go wrong with the X pipe.
Old 4/30/11, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, driving impressions:

This DEFINITELY is no for you if you like a more traditional American V8 sound.

If you like a more refined, European sound, read on:

The X pipe did everything I wanted and expected it to do with the sound. Like Steve mentioned, the exhaust sounds a lot smoother in general due to the blending of the exhaust pulses. With my FRPP Sports / Borla S-Types the exhaust sounds a little bit quieter and more tame under normal acceleration. The H pipe was a lot more raucous and unrefined. The X sounds tuned and has a much higher pitch to it than the H.

It has a lot more of a wail to it compared to the roar of the H. It sounds fantastic in the mid range especially. In a way it sounds like the old 2v 4.6 liters now. It doesn't have that hollow sound, its more meaty, but it definitely has the wail.

On deceleration / coast down the exhaust sounds a lot smoother as well. It isn't anywhere near as raw or crackly as the H pipe. It definitely sounds aggressive, but no longer does it sound obnoxious and unrefined.

Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with the sound. I prefer a more refined, Euro tone and this definitely delivers. I am very happy with it. If you prefer a more raw sound then you should probably keep your H pipe, but if you're like me then you cannot go wrong with the X pipe.
I agree 100% I didn't know how to explain it. It does smooth the note out, no more crackling and popping adds bass (meat) to the note. When you get on it ....it sounds amazing!!! Smooth and angry!!!
Old 4/30/11, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had a feeling you'd like this....I mentioned earlier it would be worth the hassle......Hope it was! I went out and did 30 miles in the country today and like it more and more. Plus, though too early to verify, My fuel mileage seems a bit better.....We'll see on this.
Old 4/30/11, 10:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
I had a feeling you'd like this....I mentioned earlier it would be worth the hassle......Hope it was! I went out and did 30 miles in the country today and like it more and more. Plus, though too early to verify, My fuel mileage seems a bit better.....We'll see on this.
If all goes well at my urgent care appointment and there are no leaks on the way there it will have been worth the hassle.
Old 5/1/11, 06:35 PM
Cobra Member

Put around 70 miles on the car today further confirming how much I love the new sound. I thought my FRPP Sports sounded really good with the H pipe, but now it's a symphony. I like my cars to make music.
Old 5/2/11, 03:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
I agree 100% I didn't know how to explain it. It does smooth the note out, no more crackling and popping adds bass (meat) to the note. When you get on it ....it sounds amazing!!! Smooth and angry!!!
I've been saying this to people since I had my Corsa X in my '05. Everyone who rode in my car knew something was different, but they couldn't put their finger on it.

Wondering if I should go Corsa or FRPP for the Xpipe.
Old 5/2/11, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse

I've been saying this to people since I had my Corsa X in my '05. Everyone who rode in my car knew something was different, but they couldn't put their finger on it.

The Corsa pipe would probably fit better.
Old 5/2/11, 06:15 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse

If you go Corsa, you're probably going to want to have it welded in one piece. I did, however, have zero issues with fitment on the cat side of the pipe.
Old 5/2/11, 07:14 AM
Cobra Member

Now that Steve and I have both worked through the FRPP X install, I think if future installers read through our install notes they probably shouldn't have a problem. You just have to go into it knowing it's a PITA. The tie-down straps I used to force everything into fitment really helped. Because I only had the front wheels on ramps I think this is the only way I could have made it work as there was no way for two people to get enough leverage to force it.

Also, as Steve suggested, I think after a few heat cycles everything should be in good order. If I were to remove the X pipe after it had a chance to "break in" it probably would go on a lot easier.
Old 5/3/11, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

eh... looks like I'll probably scratch this one off my list as well (heart throb is off teh list too)

I may just take my car to our local exhaust shop. They've built 2 of my exhausts so far and they do all the work on the drag/race cars in town.

the corsa mid pipe may be another option though.. or the bassani. I had the bassani o/r X pipe on my 97 GT and it sounded amazing.
Old 5/3/11, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

The Corsa after-cat X pipe looks nice. It's a two-piece so fitment shouldn't be an issue.
Old 5/6/11, 02:30 AM

Anyone try the BBK X pipe?

Quick Reply: FRPP X-Pipe......>