Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

FRPP X-Pipe......>

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/11, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ExVP
Tune may not be 'required', BUT, Mine ran lean when I simply swapped it with the H pipe. The sound softened abit. I had a tune run up for it on the fly on the dyno. Picked up 20 hp when it was done.

Do explain how your car could run lean by simply just swapping the h-pipe for the X pipe. I could understand if u were talking about an OFF ROAD X. But just a plain x-pipe and the car ran lean?
Old 4/23/11, 07:30 AM
Cobra Member

Get it installed yet, Steve?
Old 4/23/11, 07:36 AM
GTR Member

Tune may not be 'required', BUT, Mine ran lean when I simply swapped it with the H pipe. The sound softened abit. I had a tune run up for it on the fly on the dyno. Picked up 20 hp when it was done.
I think you had an off-road X then. I swapped the H for my Corsa and have been running it for over four months with no trouble at all.
Old 4/23/11, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I think you had an off-road X then. I swapped the H for my Corsa and have been running it for over four months with no trouble at all.
Old 4/23/11, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is a complete noob question but i have to ask. Whats the difference between an offroad X and regular X pipe?
Old 4/23/11, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobDis
This is a complete noob question but i have to ask. Whats the difference between an offroad X and regular X pipe?
Offroad includes cat delete pipe that bolts to the headers. Regular x bolts to the cats...
Old 4/23/11, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Trailhawg
Offroad includes cat delete pipe that bolts to the headers. Regular x bolts to the cats...

Excellent! Thank you!
Old 4/23/11, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RobDis

In addition the Offroad X-pipe would require a tune as to a reg X-pipe would not need a tune. It's just a bolt on and enjoy!
Old 4/23/11, 11:28 AM

I don't believe I can explain in technical terms 'why' it went lean. When I say lean, that's relative to where the tuner had my car prior to this mod going on the car. I don't think it was dangerously lean, but definately not where my tuner wanted to see it for a street driven car. But he noted it had shifted all the way from idle to the top. After he was done playing with this thing he had the car settled at 407 hp. It was 386 prior to this session without the X-pipe. The car started at 368hp stock with 1500 miles. then went in with FRPP Sport mufflers and a drop in K&N and his tune with all this = 386hp. His tune was the biggest player in this 1st gain. Then the X-pipe went on 500 miles later and after it went on, the car felt and sounded different...and suspected something was up. Back in to see the tuner and found out there was more on the table to be had. About all I can tell you or anyone. May help with some folks decision making when going down these paths though...wouldn't you think?
Originally Posted by 2011_STANG_GT

Do explain how your car could run lean by simply just swapping the h-pipe for the X pipe. I could understand if u were talking about an OFF ROAD X. But just a plain x-pipe and the car ran lean?
Old 4/23/11, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

The sound with an X-pipe will blend the exhaust, it will reduce the "cadence" of the sound. Rule of thumb, use X-pipe with flow thru mufflers and H-pipe with chambered mufflers. The sound may increase at higher rpms but at idle may be quieter than the stock h-pipe.

Off-Road pipe (x or h) will always be louder because they delete the cats and will require turning off O2 sensors with a tune.

hushpowers with x-pipe

just hushpowers
forward to 49 sec, I think without the x-pipe it sounds a little "truckish"
Old 4/23/11, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't believe I can explain in technical terms 'why' it went lean. When I say lean, that's relative to where the tuner had my car prior to this mod going on the car. I don't think it was dangerously lean, but definately not where my tuner wanted to see it for a street driven car. But he noted it had shifted all the way from idle to the top. After he was done playing with this thing he had the car settled at 407 hp. It was 386 prior to this session without the X-pipe. The car started at 368hp stock with 1500 miles. then went in with FRPP Sport mufflers and a drop in K&N and his tune with all this = 386hp. His tune was the biggest player in this 1st gain. Then the X-pipe went on 500 miles later and after it went on, the car felt and sounded different...and suspected something was up. Back in to see the tuner and found out there was more on the table to be had. About all I can tell you or anyone. May help with some folks decision making when going down these paths though...wouldn't you think?

It sounds like it could of been the tuner in this case making the car "lean".
A x-pipe will NOT make the car go lean just by replacing the H with the X.
Old 4/23/11, 12:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK! Got this in with a bit of work. The CAT side flanges did not line up precisely which required some prying and shifting to get the pipe clamped correctly. The factory H pipe has a lot more flexibility here. We almost decided to loosen a CAT so the alignment would be easier, but finally got it (with two of us working the alignment.)

Ran about 25 miles and here are the impressions. First, on Fuel, I run a Scangauge and monitor idle and partial throttle fuel trims constantly. I noticed no appreciable difference in these readings vs. the H pipe.

As noted above, the sound is a bit "softer" due to the exhaust scavenging being blended better. The car feels smoother both at idle and at higher RPM's. The cadence is much less noticeable. (I like)

As far as tone, as most have noted with an X-pipe, it is a bit higher. More "euro" which was basically what I was looking for. Seems a very good match to my Bassani Axlebacks. Somewhat quieter inside the car with the windows up and a little more of a "wail" when you get on it hard. Again smoother than with an H pipe. Feels a bit perkier..

Overall I'm happy with the change as it did exactly what I was looking for. Do it!

Last edited by Modshack; 4/23/11 at 01:08 PM.
Old 4/23/11, 01:18 PM

I'd have to agree with you ordinarily, with the X not affecting A/F ratio from an H. And yes, it can all lie in the tuners hand (good or bad). I can only pass on what he was observing and changing to get to my endpoint. The guy that just put his on just above my post had the exact impression I saw from adding mine, only I felt like I lost some bottom end punch at highways speeds pushing throttle in 5/6th. That's what mainly prompted me to go get things checked out. Still glad I did.
Originally Posted by 2011_STANG_GT
It sounds like it could of been the tuner in this case making the car "lean".
A x-pipe will NOT make the car go lean just by replacing the H with the X.
Old 4/23/11, 03:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
OK! Got this in with a bit of work. The CAT side flanges did not line up precisely which required some prying and shifting to get the pipe clamped correctly. The factory H pipe has a lot more flexibility here. We almost decided to loosen a CAT so the alignment would be easier, but finally got it (with two of us working the alignment.)

Ran about 25 miles and here are the impressions. First, on Fuel, I run a Scangauge and monitor idle and partial throttle fuel trims constantly. I noticed no appreciable difference in these readings vs. the H pipe.

As noted above, the sound is a bit "softer" due to the exhaust scavenging being blended better. The car feels smoother both at idle and at higher RPM's. The cadence is much less noticeable. (I like)

As far as tone, as most have noted with an X-pipe, it is a bit higher. More "euro" which was basically what I was looking for. Seems a very good match to my Bassani Axlebacks. Somewhat quieter inside the car with the windows up and a little more of a "wail" when you get on it hard. Again smoother than with an H pipe. Feels a bit perkier..

Overall I'm happy with the change as it did exactly what I was looking for. Do it!
Thanks for your thoughts, Steve! I'm going to order mine now.
Old 4/24/11, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Thanks for your thoughts, Steve! I'm going to order mine now.
After a few more miles today, I'm liking this more and more Steve! Very smooth, feels faster, no noticeable low end torque losses...4 thumbs up!..

Last edited by Modshack; 4/25/11 at 12:43 PM.
Old 4/24/11, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Modshack

After a few more miles today, I'm liking this more and more Steve! Very smooth, feels faster, no noticeable low ind torque losses...4 thumbs up!..
How about a video clip?
Old 4/25/11, 09:50 AM

were did you order yours from ?
Old 4/25/11, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by psipher
were did you order yours from ?
I got mine from Ninisports, but I think the American Muscle link above is a bit cheaper..
Old 4/25/11, 11:29 AM
Cobra Member

Hmmm... I'm not so sure I'm sold on these.

So you lose low end torque from swapping the H to the X. And in doing that it gives the car more of a euro sound? I don't think that would be a good match with the Roush AB's, Im just looking to tone down some of the rasp.
Old 4/25/11, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
Hmmm... I'm not so sure I'm sold on these.

So you lose low end torque from swapping the H to the X. And in doing that it gives the car more of a euro sound? I don't think that would be a good match with the Roush AB's, Im just looking to tone down some of the rasp.
X-pipes usually smooth out the exhaust tone and tend to sound best with straight-through mufflers. You could always try it, if you don't like it then I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to sell.

Quick Reply: FRPP X-Pipe......>