5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Ford Racing SC installed

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/11, 11:17 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed a Pratt & whitney j79 w/afterburners on my gt.
I can't post pics though.......
cuz I'm dead !!!
Old 1/26/11, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rsb5772
Why did you choose the Whipple? I'm on the verge of buying one, and the only thing holding me up is deciding which one to get, between the Whipple 2.9, KB 2.8LC, and the Procharger Stage 2 w/ D-1SC.
The kb system requires cutting up a bunch of the sheet metal under the hood to make room for the cai that goes down to underside of the car...so driving in the rain or any wet conditions is a big no no!! So that kit would be out of the question for me!!
Old 1/26/11, 04:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Daddyd666
The kb system requires cutting up a bunch of the sheet metal under the hood to make room for the cai that goes down to underside of the car...so driving in the rain or any wet conditions is a big no no!! So that kit would be out of the question for me!!
driving in the rain is fine. the only chance of hydrolocking the motor would be if you submerged the filter completely and THEN proceeded to suck lots of water into the engine.

At the depth that would be required to happen, the entire front end of the car would be under water and you'd have bigger problems.

my last 2 cars have had wide open cone filters a foot from the ground and I've driven through the worst of the worst torrential down pours without any problems.

hydrolock is much much harder to do than people realize. It's actually a pretty common practice for mechanics to take older cars and INTENTIONALLY suck water or seafoam or some other engine cleaner liquid directly into the intake using the engine's vaccume and allowing the engine to stutter to a stall and then sit a while for the cleaner to clean the top of the cylinders/valves/etc.

I've done this on both my current cars and felt noticeable performance improvements.
Old 1/26/11, 08:07 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by Daddyd666
It's not a bunch of sheet metal, it's a pretty small section. Lots of truly cold air with this set up, so it's well worth the risk of structural rigidity loss (if that's your concern).

I daily drove my KB '05 for 50,000 miles. Rain or shine. Never once even had a lick of moisture on the intake. I wouldn't have tried to drive through Katrina, but your standard rain storm will not make a single but of difference. Except that the air will be much cooler/denser and may possible provide you with 1-1.5 more psi depending on your altitude.
Old 1/26/11, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
It's not a bunch of sheet metal, it's a pretty small section. Lots of truly cold air with this set up, so it's well worth the risk of structural rigidity loss (if that's your concern).

I daily drove my KB '05 for 50,000 miles. Rain or shine. Never once even had a lick of moisture on the intake. I wouldn't have tried to drive through Katrina, but your standard rain storm will not make a single but of difference. Except that the air will be much cooler/denser and may possible provide you with 1-1.5 more psi depending on your altitude.
I drove through the middle of hurricane Ivan in my 05 RSX with the injen cold air intake (which puts the filter down behind the foglight about 5 or 6 inches from the exposed pavement below the bumper). It was BRUTAL but I'm still here and the car was perfectly fine... kinda glad I was in such a small car though. The wind was .... entertaining.

At any rate, for those who are still paranoid about it, Injen also makes this.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...A2582A0A0.aspx

I consider it more snake oil than anything but if $25 buys you piece of mind then I guess it serves it's purpose.
Old 1/26/11, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow! That beast must be fun to drive.
Old 1/26/11, 09:44 PM
Cobra R Member

What did it cost in parts and labor?
Old 1/27/11, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

driving in the rain is fine. the only chance of hydrolocking the motor would be if you submerged the filter completely and THEN proceeded to suck lots of water into the engine.

At the depth that would be required to happen, the entire front end of the car would be under water and you'd have bigger problems.

my last 2 cars have had wide open cone filters a foot from the ground and I've driven through the worst of the worst torrential down pours without any problems.

hydrolock is much much harder to do than people realize. It's actually a pretty common practice for mechanics to take older cars and INTENTIONALLY suck water or seafoam or some other engine cleaner liquid directly into the intake using the engine's vaccume and allowing the engine to stutter to a stall and then sit a while for the cleaner to clean the top of the cylinders/valves/etc.

I've done this on both my current cars and felt noticeable performance improvements.
It sais on the kb site that driving in wet conditions with this system is not recommended that's why I said that! But they have to say it to cover there own ***!! I'm sure your could drive in wet conditions it's just not recommended...it's like going around a bend on the highway the sign says slow to 85kph but I fly around it at 160 with no problem!! Lol
Old 2/1/11, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the pics! She looks like a beast! I dont suppose vids of it in action are possible huh?
Old 2/2/11, 10:52 AM
V6 Member

love the pics....nice shovel how do I get a shovel like that ?
Old 2/2/11, 11:25 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Adam
What did it cost in parts and labor?
I'd love to know this as well, if he doesn't mind saying, I understand if he doesn't.
Old 2/2/11, 11:51 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by neevers1
I'd love to know this as well, if he doesn't mind saying, I understand if he doesn't.
Yea cause it was probably an arm and a leg, which explains why he can't even type anymore