Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Borla "ATAK" Rear Section or Cat-Back???

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/10, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla "ATAK" Rear Section or Cat-Back???

I went and did it... ordered the '11 GT! Now, I'm already shopping for an exhaust system to slap on this baby as soon as I get it. I'm pretty much set on going with the Borla "ATAK" set-up, but I need to know the pros and cons between their Rear Section(Axle-Back?) and Cat-Back systems. Sound-wise, is there a huge difference between the two? I'm guessing that the experts out there are going to tell me that the Cat-Back system will provide a bump in power and twist, but I should put it out there that I don't intend on putting this baby on a track of some sort... yet.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

J T

2011 Mustang GT Premium - Sterling Gray, 6-Speed Manual Transmission, 3.73 Rear Axle
401A Rapid Spec with Black Leather & Cashmere Trim, Electronics Package, Comfort Package, Security Package, Brembo Brake Package, Glass Roof, HID Headlamps, and Rear Video Camera
Old 10/2/10, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J Tennu
I went and did it... ordered the '11 GT! Now, I'm already shopping for an exhaust system to slap on this baby as soon as I get it. I'm pretty much set on going with the Borla "ATAK" set-up, but I need to know the pros and cons between their Rear Section(Axle-Back?) and Cat-Back systems. Sound-wise, is there a huge difference between the two? I'm guessing that the experts out there are going to tell me that the Cat-Back system will provide a bump in power and twist, but I should put it out there that I don't intend on putting this baby on a track of some sort... yet.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

J T

2011 Mustang GT Premium - Sterling Gray, 6-Speed Manual Transmission, 3.73 Rear Axle
401A Rapid Spec with Black Leather & Cashmere Trim, Electronics Package, Comfort Package, Security Package, Brembo Brake Package, Glass Roof, HID Headlamps, and Rear Video Camera
Congrats on ordering your car. I am probably wrong on this but the AB alone have no drone in and I read somewhere the the cat back does. You will gain a bump in power with the cat back because it replaces the stock h-pipe. The cat back will be slightly louder then the AB but I am not sure how much louder.

Fully Loaded FTW. Have fun when you get.
Old 10/4/10, 07:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
Congrats on ordering your car. I am probably wrong on this but the AB alone have no drone in and I read somewhere the the cat back does. You will gain a bump in power with the cat back because it replaces the stock h-pipe. The cat back will be slightly louder then the AB but I am not sure how much louder.
I don't think "cat-back" means you replace the stock H-pipe. THAT part is only replaced by the "X-pipe", which is a separate (and usually not cheap) component.

What the cat-back system will give you is smoother pipes between the H pipe and the mufflers, and I believe it eliminates a small set of stock resonators. It's these resonators that probably help keep down the drone on the stock system and on many axle-backs.

What I keep coming back to is that the Boss 302 literature says the stock 5.0 GT exhaust flowed well enough (to meet Boss goals), but Ford gave it slightly louder mufflers anyway (don't know what kind) and added the trick y pipes for unmiffled exhaust. So don't expect much from any aftermarket exhaust in terms of untapped power. That said, I think the stock system is way too quiet.
Old 10/4/10, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The factory H-pipe is post cats. The cat-back will replace it (typically with an X pipe).

The cat-back is going to be louder than the axle back because it deletes the factory resonators. How much louder I'm not sure.
Old 10/5/10, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate all the help and responses. After reviewing countless posts and Youtube footage of different exhausts, it's looking like a rear section(axle-back) set-up for me.

I haven't been this anxious to get a new car in years. Twenty years, to be exact. My all-black '91 GT convertible was sorely missed, but I'm glad to soon be back into the fold!

J T

Old 1/24/11, 04:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Wanted to piggy-back on to this thread instead of starting a new one-

I too am set on the Borla ATAK. If I went with they AB set up, could I add an x-pipe later? I know on my 05, I did just that (AB and then added an X pipe).

Is there anything between the Xpipe and where the AB starts worth replacing? AKA the mid pipe?
Old 1/24/11, 08:09 PM
Banned

I have the s type borla catback system for my 2011 gt and it is louder than the axlebck and you can feel the extra 15-20rwhp that it gives you and since the cats are at the front right after the headers the cat back system gives you an x pipe very smooth over axle pipes and the axleback with 4 inch tips and the piping is all 3 inch!! A little pricey but well worth it! The atak catback system isn't much louder but is higher piched and raspier (which I don't like) that's my opinion hope it helps!
Old 1/28/11, 10:01 AM
GT Member

The new Borla systems absolutely rock!!!

I have a bunch in stock here at the shop.

If you are in the market look us up

2011 Borla Atak Exhaust Systems

Ken
Old 1/28/11, 01:50 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
catback = everything from the cat back

axleback = from the axles back

if this was answered my bad but I didnt read all the posts
Old 1/29/11, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry for being a noob but may someone please clarify? Im so confused, haha.

Do cat-back systems include the x-pipe (replacing the factory H-pipe)? I see people buying a catback system and then buying an x-pipe later? Why would they if a catback comes with an x-pipe?

Does an axel back system includes all of the piping after the factory H-pipe (including over the axel piping, muffler, and tip?)

... sorry, I'm just a bit confused here...

Last edited by Ivan 5.0; 1/29/11 at 01:23 PM.
Old 1/29/11, 11:53 AM
Banned

You are right the catback systems for the 2011 gt come with an x pipe because the cats are right after the headers...but an axleback doesn't give you pipes from the factory h pipe back it only replaces the mufflers and tip and you will still have the ****ty factory piping from the h or x pipe to the axleback...and yes if you get a set of long tube headers and you already have a cat back exhaust the long tubes will remove your cats so you will need a new catted x pipe to complete the system....
Old 1/29/11, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

So is this diagram not accurate for the 2011 GT?

Old 1/29/11, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0
So is this diagram not accurate for the 2011 GT?
No that diagram isn't accurate!!
Old 1/29/11, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Daddyd666
No that diagram isn't accurate!!
That's why I was confused as hell because I was going off of that diagram - and by reading posts it seemed like I was getting contradictory info
Old 2/3/11, 06:08 AM
Cobra Member

Borla offers an xpipe with their catback systems where as magnaflow (what I have) does not. You have to buy it from them separately.

I don't know much about the other exhaust manufacturers though
Old 2/3/11, 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Borla offers an xpipe with their catback systems where as magnaflow (what I have) does not.
Ah, another reason I was confused. Haha. Thanks everyone for the insight