Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Difference between catted shorty x-pipe or non-catted with LT headers

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/12, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between catted shorty x-pipe or non-catted with LT headers

I am waffling back and forth between a setup with catted shorty x or non catted! On one hand I am worried a cop will pull me over and ticket me for no cat, then I have to buy a new catted shorty x-pipe. But on the other hand I am afraid I will be missing out on the full affect of my new LT headers with the cat there.

Do the "high flow" cats really make a difference compared to normal stock cats?

What i would love to see is something like the JBA x-pipe for stock cats, but it also comes with cat delete down pipes you can swap to. So my ultimate wish would be LT headers with high flow catted shorty x-pipe but it is modular and comes with sections of pipe to swap in and delete the high flow cats, wishful thinking huh?

Thanks, Chris
Old 7/25/12, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I've never heard of being ticketed for exhaust too loud... Except on base lol. I will say that I personally would go offroad x, as long as you have no emissions testing there should be nothing to worry about. Hi flow cats will be a happy medium between the two though, and do flow quite a bit better than the stockers
Old 7/25/12, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
I've never heard of being ticketed for exhaust too loud... Except on base lol. I will say that I personally would go offroad x, as long as you have no emissions testing there should be nothing to worry about. Hi flow cats will be a happy medium between the two though, and do flow quite a bit better than the stockers
Yeah, no emissions testing where I am in Illinois
Old 7/25/12, 09:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Geez, every time I log on there's a new thread about exhaust. You could have had this all molded into one to make it easier for guys to track and provide good feedback for you.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about getting a summons for not having cats. It is highly unlikely that an officer is going to go thru that and then have to testify as knowing for a fact there was no cats. However I would go with the catted pipe so there's not much of a rich has smell but then again you don't have emissions testing. Your call...

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 7/25/12 at 09:10 PM.
Old 7/26/12, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't have emissions testing. Ditch the cats and gain more power.
Old 8/3/12, 07:46 PM
Banned

and gain an annoying smelling car.
Old 8/3/12, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Unburnt gasoline is an awesome smell
Old 8/3/12, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
and gain an annoying smelling car.
Is the smell that prevalent? I was thinking it was only noticeable when at a stand still.
Old 8/4/12, 11:26 AM
Banned

I'll say it like this. I had my GTO for seven years. It had longtubes, no cats, and was cammed for 6 of those seven years of ownership. About 65k would be the catless miles it had on it. I'll probably *never* go catless again. Aftermarket, high-flow cats are what I'd do. I don't think there was a single person that ever rode in that car -- especially in the colder months and DIDN'T ask "what is that terrible smell"

Plus I ran into the issue of exhaust shops being completely unwilling to even work on my car because it was catless.
Old 8/4/12, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
I'll say it like this. I had my GTO for seven years. It had longtubes, no cats, and was cammed for 6 of those seven years of ownership. About 65k would be the catless miles it had on it. I'll probably *never* go catless again. Aftermarket, high-flow cats are what I'd do. I don't think there was a single person that ever rode in that car -- especially in the colder months and DIDN'T ask "what is that terrible smell"

Plus I ran into the issue of exhaust shops being completely unwilling to even work on my car because it was catless.
I would kick them out of my cat for being a wuss about it

Part of the reason I do most of my own work
Old 8/4/12, 02:27 PM
GT Member

None of the vehicles I've owned that had the cats removed gave a smell inside, except once in a while while parked with the windows down. If you have the exhaust exiting after the cabin, it's impossible for the smell/fumes to travel forward while the vehicle is in motion.
Old 8/4/12, 02:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JosephCook78
None of the vehicles I've owned that had the cats removed gave a smell inside, except once in a while while parked with the windows down. If you have the exhaust exiting after the cabin, it's impossible for the smell/fumes to travel forward while the vehicle is in motion.
+1 owned 2 mustangs with no cats. My 11 for two years now w/out cats. No smell here
Old 8/4/12, 03:46 PM
Banned

Well yeah, when you're moving, no problem. Whenever stopped and the wind is just right, or winter time can suck though. I might ask though if it's a daily driver? That is the reason why I likely won't ever do it again. My cars are always my only cars, my daily drivers, so honestly at the end of ownership I wanted to put cats back on my GTO.

It's a personal choice I guess, two of my fbodies were catless, as was my GTP and GTO. It was far worse after I cammed my GTO.
Old 8/4/12, 05:39 PM
Cobra R Member

On my last mustang without cats my Then GFs hair would STINK like exhaust after being in the car lol. I say the same, go catted. ... And I was always a catless kinda person..
Old 8/8/12, 10:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
On my last mustang without cats my Then GFs hair would STINK like exhaust after being in the car lol. I say the same, go catted. ... And I was always a catless kinda person..
If I had a gf, had my Mustang drivable again, and had the money to do a full catless exhaust, I'd love for said gf's hair to smell like exhaust!!
Old 8/8/12, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
If I had a gf, had my Mustang drivable again, and had the money to do a full catless exhaust, I'd love for said gf's hair to smell like exhaust!!
I think any girl is just about to runaway from you upon hearing that
Old 8/8/12, 10:19 AM
Banned

Eew.
Old 8/8/12, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I daily my car and the smell isn't bad, if I'm putting stuff in the trunk I can smell it but I wouldn't worry about it...
Old 8/9/12, 02:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by airoscar

I think any girl is just about to runaway from you upon hearing that
Actually the girl I'm talking to used to detail cars - and that's only because the owner of the shop wouldn't let her change oil...