Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

It didn't take long and clunking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/13, 09:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always been well served at Ford dealerships in Canada. Dealt with Several in BC and now in Saskatchewan. I think Ford Canada spanks them if they get a bad rap from a customer.
Most helpful even with small mods with stuff I bought from them and they install - no warranty issues. They seemed to have fun putting the mod on. Wasn't cheap but it all works perfectly. Quality and cheap are not synonymous.
Old 8/15/13, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Well, Ford can say that all they want, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act trumps it. Ford has the onus to prove that what you did contributed to any problem you may claim under warranty.
There have been several guys here and other mustang forums who have been kicked to the curb over transmission/#8 failures. None of them came out with the upper hand. They ALL paid for replacement transmissions/engines out of pocket.

MM warranty act is a joke for people who even think about adding tunes or hell, even changing tire size/width (one guy had his warranty voided over that)

The owner of my dealership has a laguna seca and races but I still am not taking any chances by messing around with the tune/powertrain.
Old 8/15/13, 12:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
There have been several guys here and other mustang forums who have been kicked to the curb over transmission/#8 failures. None of them came out with the upper hand. They ALL paid for replacement transmissions/engines out of pocket.

MM warranty act is a joke for people who even think about adding tunes or hell, even changing tire size/width (one guy had his warranty voided over that)

The owner of my dealership has a laguna seca and races but I still am not taking any chances by messing around with the tune/powertrain.
Finally someone who has "been around the block" enough times to know better. ::: shakes hand :::
Old 8/15/13, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

My intent wasn't a tune vs warranty thread. But nonetheless.

Where exactly are these threads with blown engines. I've seen one maybe two accounts. The rest seems to be threads talking about it than the actual person saying "The tune caused cylinder 8 damage".

And what kind of tune was it? Was it a Bama tune, Steeda tune, Brenspeed tune, dynotune? All of the above? Does #8 blow if a FI is installed and Roush tunes it?
I'm not doubting that bad things can happen. It just seems that the way it is made to sound that every tune causes number 8 to go. But I still haven't found any mention that issue on 13's or even 12's. Seems like it has been the 2011 model year. Of course, I may have not searched hard enough.
Old 8/15/13, 07:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by woodzusa

Where exactly are these threads with blown engines. I've seen one maybe two accounts. The rest seems to be threads talking about it than the actual person saying "The tune caused cylinder 8 damage".

And what kind of tune was it? Was it a Bama tune, Steeda tune, Brenspeed tune, dynotune? All of the above? Does #8 blow if a FI is installed and Roush tunes it?
I'm not doubting that bad things can happen. It just seems that the way it is made to sound that every tune causes number 8 to go. But I still haven't found any mention that issue on 13's or even 12's. Seems like it has been the 2011 model year. Of course, I may have not searched hard enough.
Not everyone who has the #8 issues or a tune issues is a member on a Mustang forum.

Take a look at the first 10 days worth of posts on this website community (https://www.facebook.com/groups/390786757684390/) and you will see there are several people having issues.
Old 8/16/13, 03:54 AM
Bullitt Member

keep an eye on the noise. it's probably nothing, but if it becomes more of a grinding check it out. mine made similar noises that eventually led to the bearing at the connection of the drive shaft and rear dif housing spinning, leading to rear dif failure. hopefully it's nothing, just my two cents
Old 8/16/13, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by woodzusa

There have been several #8 threads over at the SVT forums, a couple here and a couple at the AFM forum as well. There are also people who are not saying anything on the forums publically as they are trying to work with these companies that provide the tunes to handle the situation without any risk of defaming the tuner or company's name.

I've had several discussions back and fourth with guys via PM on the forums about issues that were never made public as well as talking to a friend of mine in town that works at a dealership and who talks to other service techs about this issue in specific.

Long story short, there are only a couple of tuners that have not had their tune pop an engine (that I'm aware of) and that there have been maybe 2 cases of a #8 failure on a bone stock and never tuned 5.0 engine that were made public knowledge on forums (whether or not there were more that we don't know about is anyone's guess). But nearly all the #8 failures were caused from off the shelf tunes.

When my factory powertrain warranty runs out, there are only 2 guys I will consider letting go near my ECU, Shaun at AED and Bob Kurgan. Take that for what it's worth.

Oh btw, noticed under your username you're rocking an S60R. My DD is a 99 S70 T5 with a few extra goodies

Last edited by FastRedPonyCar; 8/16/13 at 08:26 AM.