Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

It didn't take long and clunking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/13, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It didn't take long and clunking noise?

Picked up my 2014 GT last weekend. I decided to get on it ( a little) and I was thrilled with the power. So , fast forward a few days and I've came to the conclusion I want more power. Already have the cai ready just waiting on the tune to be e-mailed to me. I fear that it will not be long before I will go FI .

Second point: I've seen this addressed in some other posts but wanted to ask for good measure. Do these 6MT or drive shafts all clunk when going into first and or second? Just noticed it after putting about 200 miles on the odometer.
Old 8/12/13, 10:10 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
i notice some normal sounds when my top is down.
Old 8/13/13, 09:59 AM
GT Member

From speaking with the Ford tech (who drives a mustang) at my dealership, the 1-2 "clunk" is from the two piece driveshaft and happens if your not perfectly rev matched. Its more pronounced in lower gears.

There's also a 1-2 clunk from the gearbox that many experience with their mt's before everything's fully warmed up.
Old 8/13/13, 10:03 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No "clunk" on mine and I've run it plenty hard many times.
Old 8/13/13, 11:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
No "clunk" on mine and I've run it plenty hard many times.
Do you have an auto or stick shift?
Old 8/13/13, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

I have a couple friends who have the 6M's, and neither of their's "clunk", and my Auto doesn't "clunk".

Since your planning on doing a "CAI & Tune" you will Void any and all Powertrain Warranty's, so any issues from here on out with your 2014 will be out of your pocket.
Old 8/13/13, 01:05 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by thebms
Do you have an auto or stick shift?
Manual
Old 8/13/13, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by thebms
From speaking with the Ford tech (who drives a mustang) at my dealership, the 1-2 "clunk" is from the two piece driveshaft and happens if your not perfectly rev matched. Its more pronounced in lower gears.

There's also a 1-2 clunk from the gearbox that many experience with their mt's before everything's fully warmed up.
This.
Also, the clutch on 14s seem fairly loose (tested more than one) compared to mine - feels a lot heavier, more resistance the better control?
Old 8/13/13, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info ..
It is probably the driveshaft and the way I put it into 1st and into 2nd. Been awhile since I have driven a manual.
Old 8/13/13, 01:53 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by woodzusa
Thanks for the info ..
It is probably the driveshaft and the way I put it into 1st and into 2nd. Been awhile since I have driven a manual.

Is this the first time you've had a track-lock diff? They are not noise free depending on the quality of your shift. Feather the throttle a little more.

The driveshaft is not at issue.
Old 8/13/13, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by KC Henry
...Since your planning on doing a "CAI & Tune" you will Void any and all Powertrain Warranty's, so any issues from here on out with your 2014 will be out of your pocket.
Well, Ford can say that all they want, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act trumps it. Ford has the onus to prove that what you did contributed to any problem you may claim under warranty.
Old 8/13/13, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

Since your planning on doing a "CAI & Tune" you will Void any and all Powertrain Warranty's, so any issues from here on out with your 2014 will be out of your pocket.
That is NOT carved in stone. Case by case basis. If his u joints snap, his warranty isn't automatically voided because of a tune; especially if the car had for example 20,000 miles on the original tires. Then it would be pretty on obvious just because a car is tuned , it does not equal abuse.
Old 8/13/13, 02:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Well, Ford can say that all they want, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act trumps it. Ford has the onus to prove that what you did contributed to any problem you may claim under warranty.
Originally Posted by 2012GT
That is NOT carved in stone. Case by case basis. If his u joints snap, his warranty isn't automatically voided because of a tune; especially if the car had for example 20,000 miles on the original tires. Then it would be pretty on obvious just because a car is tuned , it does not equal abuse.
Let's just say I work in a Stealership, and if a car manufacturer has the opportunity to "wash their hands" of an issue on a modded car, they will.

Anything you alter will Void the manufacturer warranty on it. Mod the powertrain and you void the powertrain warranty, Mod the exhaust, and you void the emissions warranty, mod the stereo and you void the electrical system warranty.

It is pretty cut and dry, and easy to understand even for the most "simple-minded" person .
Old 8/13/13, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

What is your position at the dealer you work for?
Old 8/13/13, 03:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
What is your position at the dealer you work for?
Assistant Parts Mgr, so unfortunately I get wrapped up in issues like this from time to time.
Old 8/13/13, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Let's just say I work in a Stealership, and if a car manufacturer has the opportunity to "wash their hands" of an issue on a modded car, they will.

Anything you alter will Void the manufacturer warranty on it. Mod the powertrain and you void the powertrain warranty, Mod the exhaust, and you void the emissions warranty, mod the stereo and you void the electrical system warranty.

It is pretty cut and dry, and easy to understand even for the most "simple-minded" person .
Thanks for the info. I'm not greatly concerned with warranty coverage on the power train. The dealer has already said that they do not care if it is tuned and barring any destruction of the engine (hopefully not from a bama tune) then they would warranty it.
Besides if it gets a FI from Roush (next year) then it will be up to Roush to warranty it if it's installed at a Roush dealer.
Old 8/14/13, 08:30 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by woodzusa
Thanks for the info. I'm not greatly concerned with warranty coverage on the power train. The dealer has already said that they do not care if it is tuned and barring any destruction of the engine (hopefully not from a bama tune) then they would warranty it.
Besides if it gets a FI from Roush (next year) then it will be up to Roush to warranty it if it's installed at a Roush dealer.
Be careful with the Bama #8 Warranty, they have and will continue to decline their Warranty if they see fit.
Old 8/14/13, 02:35 PM
Cobra Member

There are some "stealerships" out there that actually use common sense and don't void warranties just because THEY CAN. There are still some customer friendly "stealerships" out there. Not all are like yours that have an ego trip that get off telling customers what they can't do for them rather than what they can do. Void my warranty for my alternator going out because i upgraded my door speakers for example....makes perfect sense to me since I'm so "simple minded".
Old 8/14/13, 03:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
There are some "stealerships" out there that actually use common sense and don't void warranties just because THEY CAN. There are still some customer friendly "stealerships" out there. Not all are like yours that have an ego trip that get off telling customers what they can't do for them rather than what they can do. Void my warranty for my alternator going out because i upgraded my door speakers for example....makes perfect sense to me since I'm so "simple minded".
Stealerships will take care of a customer within reason.

If its something that is a hundred or two bucks, and the customer is a repeat client, sometimes they will "good-will" it, but you can bet that if you end up with a $7,000 Cyl#8 failure, they will find a way to pin it on the customer.

Don't take my word for it, just search all the different Mustang Forums, and you will see it has happened and continues to happen.
Old 8/14/13, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I thought the Roush warranty was from the original sale date of the CAR, not from the date of the Roush purchase/install.

Quick Reply: It didn't take long and clunking noise?