Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Custom tune vs. generic tune

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/14, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom tune vs. generic tune

Hello,

Have spent some time researching this and have a few questions.

I have a 2013 GT, only performance mods i plan on doing now is cat delete and tune. 91 octane is the highest I can get.

Questions:

1. With only a cat delete, what kind of rwhp difference can I expect between, say an off the shelf tune and a custom tune?

2. Is there more than one level of custom tune? I believe that some "custom" tunes just create a tune based on your mods, while othere want to see the actual data from a driving session; is that correct?

3. Who has the highest DOCUMENTED increase between stock and tunes, for simple cat delete mods (dyno graphs between tuned and un-tuned)

Thanks!
Old 7/21/14, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are you located? Are you near any of the custom tuners and have access to their dynos? That would be the best 1st choice. Then the next would be a mail order tune.
Here are a few you can research on your own,

AED
Lund
Mike Rousch
Steeda

All of the above will require that you get a SCT X3 or X4 hand held tuner. The SCT device does come with a generic so to say tune. You can then load new custom tunes on to the device via email.
Old 7/22/14, 06:44 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will need a hand held. Don't get caught up in the most HP gains, looks at times, drivability, throttle response and overall improved performance. Heres a link to some comments on our tunes, enjoy

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...tune-club.html
Old 7/22/14, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
You will need a hand held. Don't get caught up in the most HP gains, looks at times, drivability, throttle response and overall improved performance. Heres a link to some comments on our tunes, enjoy

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...tune-club.html
x2

A custom tune will get you all of that. On my WRX, I had a canned tune, a high performance tune which was essentially a canned tune but better, and a custom tune by one of the best subaru tuners. I can tell you, hands down, that the custom tuned pulled the hardest (clutch started slipping), had the best drivability, and probably the safest. I fairly sure that this applies to our Mustangs as well. Spend the money if you can and get the custom tune!