5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Coilover Kits: Pros & Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/11, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilover Kits: Pros & Cons?

As soon as I complete the braking system improvement-phase on my 'Stang, I'm looking to finalize the work on the suspension. What are the positive and negative aspects of going with a coilover kit? Is it that much better than going with just a springs and dampers swap?
Old 9/11/11, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

In my opinion, its alot better going with a coilover kit. My personal choice would be the Eibach Multi-Pro R2 kit. A couple things I like about it are that you have so many options for adjustability, front and rear. You can chose the spring rate you want, front and rear so you can have the stiffness that fits your needs. Another benefit is that I believe that coilover kits weigh less than new springs and dampers. A negative side of going with coilovers is the price, a coilover kit usually runs more expensive than going with new springs and dampers. Hope this helps.
Old 9/13/11, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, BlackMamba03. I've been researching that exact same kit, along with the Multi-Pro R1. My next question would be, where do those remote reservoirs for the Multi-Pro R2 get installed? Are there possible attachment hole points available without the need to drill new holes? If I go with one of these kits, I will be using Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster plates. If I decide on one of the AST kits, I'll add the plates by Vorschlag.
Old 9/13/11, 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

In my opinion, I'd pay the extra money for the R2 kit. They offer the most adjustability possible which to me, is most important seeing as how once my initial set up is complete, ill be tracking as often as possible. On Eibach's website it shows some of the finished product installed on the 2011 GT. For exampe, in the rear, I know the resevoir tank mounts right next to the shock and spring. In the front, I believe it mounts up in the engine bay for easy adjustment. I've seen an install video for this kit on another car and that's where the front resevoir tanks were mounted so I'd assume they'd do the same for the mustang. I also will be going with the maximum motorsports caster/camber plates. Heard nothing but good things about them. Now to answer your question about having to drill, I really can't answer because I don't know for sure if we have to drill or if they're are placement holes already there. It'd be nice but I'm not completely sure. Hope this helps.