5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss intake and gears

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/12, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kinda numbers are u making and have you made it to the track yet?
No Numbers yet there is still snow all over the place I should have numbers/track times by may

What front wheel/tire combo do you have up front? Those tires only come in two sizes according to the Toyo website.
255/35/20 Nitto Invo in the front before I installed my Proxes I had 285/30/20 Invo in the rear.
Old 1/21/12, 10:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JEdwards001
So what should I do next with my bolt-on route?

JLT-CAI
BAMA- tunes
O/R-H
Flowmaster custom exhaust
Nitto tires
3.31 gears
I would buy tires. A good, non-traction impaired launch is one of the easiest ways to make your car quick. Sure, a tune, intake, exhaust or gears are all more "exciting" than tires, but you will wind up picking up more ET at the track with tires/suspension than most bolt-ons will get you. I would get tires, LCAs and LCA relocation brackets.

Mike
Old 1/21/12, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin
I would buy tires. A good, non-traction impaired launch is one of the easiest ways to make your car quick. Sure, a tune, intake, exhaust or gears are all more "exciting" than tires, but you will wind up picking up more ET at the track with tires/suspension than most bolt-ons will get you. I would get tires, LCAs and LCA relocation brackets.

Mike

I agree if you want to improve your ET, as well as the feel of your car being fast driving around, a tire that flat hooks is well worth the money. I have 18" ET Street radials, and my suspension is all stock except Eibach lowering springs and I pull consistent 1.6-1.7 60' times. I don't think LCA's and relocation brackets are a "must have". I'm sure they help, but I know for a fact they aren't absolutely necessary for great launches at the track.
Old 1/21/12, 05:27 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackgt87

I agree if you want to improve your ET, as well as the feel of your car being fast driving around, a tire that flat hooks is well worth the money. I have 18" ET Street radials, and my suspension is all stock except Eibach lowering springs and I pull consistent 1.6-1.7 60' times. I don't think LCA's and relocation brackets are a "must have". I'm sure they help, but I know for a fact they aren't absolutely necessary for great launches at the track.
Tires make a huge difference. Today is the first day I actually ran my car with my new nitto 295's on the back. The wheel hop is gone because it just spins a little then hooks and runs. My stock tires wouldn't catch for anything and the wheel hop was bad. Now I'm gone run it stock until I have to change it. The 3.73's may change my mind but Im not sure yet.
Old 1/22/12, 06:08 PM

Got my Boss intake put on last night. Pretty happy with it so far. I didn't feel much of a loss down low (probably due to the 3.73s). Feels like the car just wants to keep pulling! After we made sure everything was good, took her out for a spin and was shifting at about 7500rpms. I know there are a few that don't like the mod, but I think it will serve me well because I'm not afraid to rev high and I plan on going with a Procharger in the future.

Last edited by KalEl370; 1/22/12 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 1/22/12, 07:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by KalEl370
Got my Boss intake put on last night. Pretty happy with it so far. I didn't feel much of a loss down low (probably due to the 3.73s). Feels like the car just wants to keep pulling! After we made sure everything was good, took her out for a spin and was shifting at about 7500rpms. I know there are a few that don't like the mod, but I think it will serve me well because I'm not afraid to rev high and I plan on going with a Procharger in the future.
Awesome man I'm glad to hear that. I've been looking for the best deal on one and have the same goals as you. Hopefully procharger down the road.

Keep me up dated on how you like it after a few more days of running with it.
Old 1/22/12, 07:39 PM

Awesome man I'm glad to hear that. I've been looking for the best deal on one and have the same goals as you. Hopefully procharger down the road.

Keep me up dated on how you like it after a few more days of running with it.
Will do, the cheapest place I found it was at Late Model Restoration. They have it for $399, everywhere else seems to have gone up in price.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ntake-Manifold
Good luck!
Old 1/22/12, 07:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by KalEl370

Will do, the cheapest place I found it was at Late Model Restoration. They have it for $399, everywhere else seems to have gone up in price.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ntake-Manifold
Good luck!
Yeah even AM is at 565 now. I'm probably gonna order mine this week before they go up there to.
Old 1/22/12, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tousley Ford is where I got mine. It was by far the best price I could find.
Old 1/22/12, 10:17 PM
GT Member

Tousley Ford is where I got mine. It was by far the best price I could find.
Good deal I'll check them out and see what that have going right now. Thanks.
Old 1/26/12, 12:39 AM
GT Member

I ordered my boss intake and now the wait is on. Do I need to get the fuel hose set up from late model resto for the passenger side vacum line? And is the install pretty simple. It seems like it on line.
Old 1/26/12, 04:52 AM

I ordered my boss intake and now the wait is on. Do I need to get the fuel hose set up from late model resto for the passenger side vacum line? And is the install pretty simple. It seems like it on line.
I got the kit from late model resto. It's only 10 bucks and worked well. We followed the install instructions on the LRS website as well and it went pretty smoothly. Total time to install was about 1 and a 1/2 hours. Good luck!
Old 1/26/12, 06:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I bought the late model resto kit too. I had a little bit of trouble getting that purge solenoid to stay because the pigtail wasnt long enough, but it does technically work.

Also you don't have to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail, just pull the rail with the injectors still in it out of the stock intake, and kinda slide the boss intake inbetween the rails then set it on the heads. My fuel line disconnect tool wouldnt fit next to the little bracket mount welded to the fuel rail so I had to get crafty. It isnt any more of a pain, and you dont spill gas. Just pay attention to the heater hoses.
Old 1/26/12, 09:10 AM
GT Member

I think you made a mistake, in all sincerity. However, I admit it looks great and I would thoroughly enjoy being able to zing my motor up to 7600 rpm. Let us know how it works out for you and if you dyno/track the car and the results.

Mike
Old 1/26/12, 01:01 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the install info guys. I'll keep y'all updated on it. I plan on getting it dynoed and hitting the strip with the 3.31's before I change gears to see just how she runs as is.
Old 1/26/12, 01:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin

I think you made a mistake, in all sincerity. However, I admit it looks great and I would thoroughly enjoy being able to zing my motor up to 7600 rpm. Let us know how it works out for you and if you dyno/track the car and the results.

Mike
I fought long and hard about it, but I figured I would give it a try and see how it did with my combo. After all I never have a problem with the low end. So losing alittle to gain high end seems like it would be a perfect fit for what I want to do with it. But we will see soon enough. Worst case scenario I wasted 400 bucks, but I can probably resale and get some of my money back.
Old 1/26/12, 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I fought long and hard about it, but I figured I would give it a try and see how it did with my combo. After all I never have a problem with the low end. So losing alittle to gain high end seems like it would be a perfect fit for what I want to do with it. But we will see soon enough. Worst case scenario I wasted 400 bucks, but I can probably resale and get some of my money back.
Identical to what I thought, and what I did as far as gettin most of my money back.

If its possible run the car at the track before and after. That would be the true test.

I'll never forget the first time I floored my car after switching back to the stock intake lol.
Old 1/26/12, 01:31 PM
GT Member

Identical to what I thought, and what I did as far as gettin most of my money back.

If its possible run the car at the track before and after. That would be the true test.

I'll never forget the first time I floored my car after switching back to the stock intake lol.
I'm trying to set up a dyno before and after, and a track run before and after. If I can hold off on installing it. I gotta see when the track opens. I havent checked yet to see if there open.

I just hope it doesnt disappoint.
Old 1/26/12, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm trying to set up a dyno before and after, and a track run before and after. If I can hold off on installing it. I gotta see when the track opens. I havent checked yet to see if there open.

I just hope it doesnt disappoint.
If you dyno AND run it at the track before and after, then you will know for sure whether or not you are disappointed. I can't wait to see the results!
Old 1/26/12, 01:54 PM
GT Member

If you dyno AND run it at the track before and after, then you will know for sure whether or not you are disappointed. I can't wait to see the results!
State Capitol raceway is open for test and tune this Sunday and next so I'm gonna try to get out there for one of those then put the intake on. I'm thinking my car should run high 11's to low 12's now. But we will see. I beat my friends gt500 by a couple cars when I had crapy tires and he had street radials and he ran a 12.3. I'll keep y'all posted.

Quick Reply: Boss intake and gears