5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

BMR Lowering Package?

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/10, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMR Lowering Package?

Hey guys,

Well I haven't even recieved my 11' vert yet (it'll be here in Jan)...but I already know im going to want to lower it since im coming from a car on coilovers lol...and found a great deal on this package.

Has anyone installed it on their 11' yet?

is there any differance in the convertible version and the coupe version?

hows the quality?

Thanks guys!

Zubair
Old 11/17/10, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

My recommendation, don't do it. BMR springs are a joke, they are way too soft for the lowering. Furthermore camber bolts are small, and prone to slipping and Ford mounts are weak and prone to breaking. Better to replace the mounts with ones that won't fail and give you camber adjustment that will not slip. A PHB isn't a bad idea, but isn't automatically required, same with LCA brackets. In fact when lowering S197's without brackets you tend to kill wheelhop that is there when the rear LCA's are level.

And finally... no dampers which are a pretty important thing to consider. After all, lowering springs are stiffer (or should be) and shorter than stock which leaves the stock dampers (which aren't great) at even more of a loss--as now you are asking something designed for softer taller springs that give more working travel to control stiffer shorter springs in less working travel. The quickest way to ruin the ride of a car is to lower it, and leave the stock dampers, and it will only get worse as the miles add up and the shocks are less and less able to control what's going on.

I'd be happy to help you with a setup, but I can't just give you A, B, and C and wrap it up in a neat little bow. That's how folks who want to make easy sales do things, I'm more concerned with the making the car work as well as it can without spending money on things that really don't matter. The thing is, folks have different preferences and notions about what they want from their cars, which means different parts sometimes.
Old 11/17/10, 11:30 AM

Sam,

After I make it thru the holidays (bankaccount wise) I will absolutely be calling you to properly lower my GT. I love reading your posts because you knowledge and love for these cars shows through.
Old 11/17/10, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I know exactly what you saying, thanks for that reply

I hadn't heard of the company before, that's why I figured i'd ask

i have a maxima right now..and it's on d2 race coilovers...before that I had H&R springs with KYB AGX struts/shocks.

I don't want my ride to be stupid stiff..but I know with my decision of the vert, im going to loose a lot of the stiffness which the coupe has

I loved the way my coilovers turned the car into a car on rails..but I know its something I can't live with for everyday anymore..im getting older I guess lol

if theres a compromise spring/strut combo that'll give me the "car feels like it's one piece" feel..with little body roll, and point where I want it to go sensation, then I think that's exactly what I want
Old 11/17/10, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LLZuB
I know exactly what you saying, thanks for that reply

I hadn't heard of the company before, that's why I figured i'd ask

i have a maxima right now..and it's on d2 race coilovers...before that I had H&R springs with KYB AGX struts/shocks.

I don't want my ride to be stupid stiff..but I know with my decision of the vert, im going to loose a lot of the stiffness which the coupe has

I loved the way my coilovers turned the car into a car on rails..but I know its something I can't live with for everyday anymore..im getting older I guess lol

if theres a compromise spring/strut combo that'll give me the "car feels like it's one piece" feel..with little body roll, and point where I want it to go sensation, then I think that's exactly what I want
A HUGE part of that will be quality dampers... they are the key to making a car feel tied down and in control..... If could only change one thing on a car (luckily we can do more), in 99% of cases it'll be the shocks.

A nice well put together set of springs and dampers will give you exactly what you want without a bone-jarring ride. What you are after isn't going to come out of that kit.
Old 11/18/10, 09:55 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GroverDill
Sam,

After I make it thru the holidays (bankaccount wise) I will absolutely be calling you to properly lower my GT. I love reading your posts because you knowledge and love for these cars shows through.

Exactly the same here; as soon as the January bills go away I want to start looking at some suspension mods to put on for springtime and definitely value your advice and suggestions!
Old 11/20/10, 01:42 AM

sam's info is awesome ... looking to save up some change to got coil overs too! OP why not just wait for that?
Old 11/23/10, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

^ ya, i'll prob save up for coilovers...once you go coilovers, it's hard to go back lol
Old 11/23/10, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I carry a number of coil-overs as well. H&R, KW, Eibach, Steeda, AST and Moton too. Got you covered on that side of things as well as the damper/spring side