Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Best tune for the 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/10, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best tune for the 5.0?

I have yet to see a thread where everyone is comparing the tunes to see which one, and I am wondering which i should get.

Leaning towards the bama as that one seems to be the one everyone says is the best.

Are they located in alabama?

I would really like one that the tune was created down south near the gulf, for weather reasons. (does that even matter?)
Old 9/29/10, 01:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oh boy! you just opened up a can of worms.

I think all the major players put out a good product. All cars are different. Take any two 5.0's right off the assembly line and one will be stronger than the other. The generic canned tunes from any of them are good, but as I said before all engines are different. I'd say the best tune is the dyno tune from any of these guys. That way you are sure to get the most power possible.
Old 9/29/10, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree a custom tune would be best but i don't really have anyone around here that is well enough known to sell their tunes across the USA so I am not so sure they would be the best option even though they are local and can get everything just right with all the variables.

Isn't there more to this than the old push rod motors? ti-vct etc...
Old 9/29/10, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

I mentioned this once in another thread, but there are lots of choices out there including us. It will come down to the knowledge of the particular tuner with the software. All of the well recognized tuners including us have great skill with these cars and you would probably be happy with any one of them.

All of the big name tuners out there have not only had extensive SCT training but hands on dyno experience to back up that training. Its hard to go wrong with any one of them.

Saying 1 tune is better than another is very subjective and again differences will depend on not only who put the tune together but on the individual vehicle and all kinds of other factors. You could take 2 cars of the same year, same configuration, with the same exact processor code and the same exact tuning have them actually dyno differently. One could be good while the other might be rich or lean, or have some other issue. They could even dyno differently simply due to weather conditions, the dyno being used, etc....

When it comes to the 5.0, do a search through the threads and you will find plenty of people getting good results.....
Old 9/29/10, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Brenspeed, American Muscle (Bama), Lethal Performance, Evolution Performance, Livernois Motorsports.

Personally haven't dealt with a Steeda tune, but I imagine it would be quite the same.

Pick which company you think is best, and buy it. None of them will be strides different from one another, all are extremely knowledgable and will provide you with major gains.

Last edited by KonaBlue5.0; 9/29/10 at 02:10 PM.
Old 9/29/10, 02:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VMP and he is down in Deltona Florida. Very honest guy with no BS and you will deal with Justin personally.
Old 9/29/10, 02:17 PM
GT Member

I went with Bama/American muscle on their intake/tuner combo because it was almost the cheapest. The cheapest company rarely answered my questions and I didn't know much info about them, so Bama was the choice for me.. ha

I know it's not always the best to go with the cheapest, but like a lot of guys are saying, these mail order tunes are always about the same. The best bet is a dyno tune but I didn't care to go that far.

Last edited by jetlag; 9/29/10 at 02:27 PM.
Old 9/29/10, 02:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Steedagus
there are lots of choices out there including us.
Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
Brenspeed, American Muscle (Bama), Lethal Performance, Evolution Performance, Livernois Motorsports.

Personally haven't dealt with a Steeda tune, but I imagine it would be quite the same.

Pick which company you think is best, and buy it. None of them will be strides different from one another, all are extremely knowledgable and will provide you with major gains.
Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
VMP and he is down in Deltona Florida. Very honest guy with no BS and you will deal with Justin personally.
See what I mean? There's lots of us out there. We are everywhere
Old 9/29/10, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I bought a Steeda CAI and tune. Gus helped me through the download and I was very happy with the results.

Then he calls a couple of weeks later just to see if everything was OK; sends me the update which eliminates skipshift and made it faster AGAIN.

Honestly, I was not that impressed with my stock Mustang, but the Steeda tune made it into the car I hoped it was going to be. Thanks Gus !!!!

I don't know about the other tunes, but you can't go wrong with Steeda !!
Old 9/29/10, 02:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Plus if you can deal with the tuner himself is always a plus. This way any problems you can get it solved without going through channels. This is why i love VMP because you deal with Justin one on one.
Old 9/29/10, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

Although not exactly the same, we do have offer a similar benefit when you deal with us for tuning.

I'm not the "tuner" here. I am the National Sales Manager. However I have been trained by SCT, Even though I am sales manager because of my SCT training and being in the "front lines" so to speak with customer interaction I pretty much end up doing most of the tech support, etc..... So I am well versed and know the tuning software inside and out, but not the guy that normally writes the tunes or does our in house dyno tuning.

I do participate hands on with tuning once in a while just to keep myself sharp. A few weeks ago I came in on a Saturday when I was off and helped out to finish dyno tuning a 2006 GT we just installed a Whipple and Steeda Whipple Belt Drive on. Wish I had more time for that. Just not enough time to do that and sales unfortunately.

Point being though is our tech support is very good. Anyone on this board that has dealt with me directly on SCT issues can confirm our level of service.
Old 9/30/10, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Might want to check this out

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ne-worth-50whp
Old 9/30/10, 04:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by dragstart
I bought a Steeda CAI and tune. Gus helped me through the download and I was very happy with the results.

Then he calls a couple of weeks later just to see if everything was OK; sends me the update which eliminates skipshift and made it faster AGAIN.

Honestly, I was not that impressed with my stock Mustang, but the Steeda tune made it into the car I hoped it was going to be. Thanks Gus !!!!

I don't know about the other tunes, but you can't go wrong with Steeda !!
+1, did not directly deal with Gus, but rather Steeda Canada which get it's tunes from the main office and everything went smooth indeed. Did talked to Gus once and he was very informative and helpful.

Check this out !

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...fter-tune.html
Old 10/1/10, 04:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
I think we need to wait and let Joe shmo dyno it and see what the hp gains really are. Many tuners spouting off gains that most are not seeing. Everyone is in a big hurry when the best thing is to wait and see what everyone brings to the table. That goes for tunes, exhaust, CAI and everything else. To early in the ballgame to see who is going to be the winner.
Old 10/1/10, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

Will go with JDM Engineering once again. dyno tune and all
Old 10/1/10, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Comparing tunes is like comparing oil. To me it's like choosing a route to get to the other side of a perfect sphere. There are an infinite number of directions to choose, and all are different and unique, but they will all get you to the other side at the same time, with the same distance traveled.

Of course, that's just my ******* of an opinion.
Old 10/3/10, 12:39 PM
GT Member

Anyone know if Bama's tune get eliminates skip shift?
Old 10/3/10, 12:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mdun6
Anyone know if Bama's tune get eliminates skip shift?

Yes it does. Pretty much all tuners should have that incorporated by now.
Old 10/4/10, 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

It doesn't on the tune i just recieved, I went with their 93 race tune and i still get skip skift.

I also still have to disable ESC everytime i start the car too.

EDIT: BTW all those worries i had about missing the low end grunt from my old lsx motor are all gone now, man this thing moves with just a feather of pedal weight holy ****!!

actually kinda of scared to hit the gas around a turn now.

Last edited by Bigjohns97; 10/4/10 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10/4/10, 06:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
It doesn't on the tune i just recieved, I went with their 93 race tune and i still get skip skift.

Hmm, maybe you have to ask for it. On their custom tune detail website, I put in the comments box that I wanted skip shift turned off.

Quick Reply: Best tune for the 5.0?