Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

- Anyone own BOTH (MGW & Barton)

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/12, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back from MGW and instal of new shifter went great, George did the install with the new bracket and bushing material, he now has 2 choices for bushing material-street which is softer and race which is firmer.
I chose the street version and to be honest it is just as quiet as the stock unit from Ford.
Now for the fun, GREAT SHIFTER-clean crisp shifts no guess work, there is a small learning curve but really a very good mod to the stock unit.
I have no hesitation in endorsing the MGW shifter, it reminds me of a shifter I had in a Opel gt that was a short throw spring loaded unit and was a blast to drive.
If you are on the fence go with MGW
Old 12/20/12, 06:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Just one more thing or two.
For those of you who have never seen the stock shifter, you might want to strongly consider an upgrade, it is held together by zip ties, thin plate metal and a plastic gear guide that will definitely lose its shape, mine was already worn with 2000 miles on the odometer.
It was built to save money not for longevity.
My best advice is call or email George at MGW, great guy and very knowledgeable, and the MGW shifter is built like a tank.
My only gripe, and it is very minor, is I haven't quite got the knack of 5th to 6th, but that is a learning curve issue.
Old 12/20/12, 08:41 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
Back from MGW and instal of new shifter went great, George did the install with the new bracket and bushing material, he now has 2 choices for bushing material-street which is softer and race which is firmer.
I chose the street version and to be honest it is just as quiet as the stock unit from Ford.
Now for the fun, GREAT SHIFTER-clean crisp shifts no guess work, there is a small learning curve but really a very good mod to the stock unit.
I have no hesitation in endorsing the MGW shifter, it reminds me of a shifter I had in a Opel gt that was a short throw spring loaded unit and was a blast to drive.
If you are on the fence go with MGW
Just one more thing or two.
For those of you who have never seen the stock shifter, you might want to strongly consider an upgrade, it is held together by zip ties, thin plate metal and a plastic gear guide that will definitely lose its shape, mine was already worn with 2000 miles on the odometer.
It was built to save money not for longevity.
My best advice is call or email George at MGW, great guy and very knowledgeable, and the MGW shifter is built like a tank.
My only gripe, and it is very minor, is I haven't quite got the knack of 5th to 6th, but that is a learning curve issue.
My thoughts exactly. I couldn't have stated this more perfectly. Nice post. I almost forgot about how much I laughed and shook my head when I removed that stock shifter with zip ties. Hilarious. Good luck to those that choose to keep the stock shifter.
Old 12/28/12, 12:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did all of you guys install the optional gasket on the rear bracket?
Old 12/28/12, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SlowRiderr
Did all of you guys install the optional gasket on the rear bracket?
Rear gasket installed. Heat shield, too. I was under the impression that the MGW would have an increase in NVH, but I can't tell much a difference compared to stock. I do not drive with my hand continuously holding the shifter between shifts, though. Shifter needs quite a few miles on it to loosen up... step on the clutch and it can pop out of 2nd and 4th gears on its own! I suspect this is happening due to cold weather conditions. Functions perfectly after 5-10 minutes of driving.
Old 12/28/12, 09:36 AM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by J Tennu
Rear gasket installed. Heat shield, too. I was under the impression that the MGW would have an increase in NVH, but I can't tell much a difference compared to stock. I do not drive with my hand continuously holding the shifter between shifts, though. Shifter needs quite a few miles on it to loosen up... step on the clutch and it can pop out of 2nd and 4th gears on its own! I suspect this is happening due to cold weather conditions. Functions perfectly after 5-10 minutes of driving.
Cold or not, it shouldn't be popping out of any gear on its own. You should check the installation - maybe it needs an adjustment.
Old 12/28/12, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Len

Cold or not, it shouldn't be popping out of any gear on its own. You should check the installation - maybe it needs an adjustment.
Well, my thoughts exactly. If it persists, I'll check it next week.
Old 12/31/12, 05:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

So - does the Barton setup offer a greater throw reduction between gears? The link on page 1 here says the MGW has a provision / adjustment to shorten the throws?

From the Barton vids I have seen the throws really are nice and short, and that appeals to me. If the MGW only offers, say, half the throw reduction that the Barton offers, I think I'd lean toward the Barton. But if the MGW throw is nearly the same as the Barton, then MGW seems like it might be the better piece. I know there is more to it than just throw length ( like smoothness and NVH ), but to me throw length is the main factor.
Old 12/31/12, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Per my experience with George at MGW, he advised that the Mgw throw is 30% shorter than stock and the Barton was 40+% shorter than stock.
So if you are looking for the shorter throw the Barton is your choice, I think the MGW throw is very good and workable with the exception of the 5th to 6th shift, I am still learning.
Old 12/31/12, 02:02 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Per my experience with George at MGW, he advised that the Mgw throw is 30% shorter than stock and the Barton was 40+% shorter than stock.
So if you are looking for the shorter throw the Barton is your choice, I think the MGW throw is very good and workable with the exception of the 5th to 6th shift, I am still learning.
This is correct. From my conversation with George, they purposely designed it to be only 25% to 30% shorter than stock... It was deemed the"perfect" throw because any shorter would be too short. And I agree. You know how the ricey imports have those excessively short throws? The MGW does not feel like that....feels solid and perfect. The best combo of throw and feel.
Old 1/5/13, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=22939
Old 1/5/13, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is that a "disguised" Barton shifter with the 2-post bracket? Dang that's pricey, but includes the Ford Racing logo shifter ball...
Old 1/6/13, 03:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
Is that a "disguised" Barton shifter with the 2-post bracket? Dang that's pricey, but includes the Ford Racing logo shifter ball...
Yea, I'd like to know more about that shifter........sure looks cool !! Scott
Old 1/6/13, 11:47 AM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby

I'm sure it is. Shelby has done the same rebadging so if anyone wants to pay more for the Shelby logo, here you go.
http://tinyurl.com/afjgku5

Last edited by Len; 1/6/13 at 11:51 AM.
Old 1/8/13, 11:04 AM
GT Member

Yep rebranded and overpriced Barton... Better off getting the MGW at that price point...
Old 1/8/13, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Thought I would update my thoughts on the MGW shifter, now that I have gotten used to it and put a few miles on it.
First, this shifter breaks in very well, has become smooth and certain, can now shift with one finger, technique is required here, and I love the action between 2nd and 3rd.
Second, it is not noisy and I actually feel less vibration than the stock unit.
Third, My wife has finally agreed that it shifts better than the stock, she hates mods, but has conceded that this was a good change.
IMO, this is probably the best and most usable mod for a 6 speed and well worth the $.
Thanks MGW!
Old 1/8/13, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the update, input appreciated! Thinking of pulling the trigger...
Old 1/8/13, 06:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thought I would update my thoughts on the MGW shifter, now that I have gotten used to it and put a few miles on it.
First, this shifter breaks in very well, has become smooth and certain, can now shift with one finger, technique is required here, and I love the action between 2nd and 3rd.
Third, My wife has finally agreed that it shifts better than the stock, she hates mods, but has conceded that this was a good change.
IMO, this is probably the best and most usable mod for a 6 speed and well worth the $.
Thanks MGW!
Sounds like my wife!!! doesn't matter what it is the answer from her is "NO, you don't need to do that"! lol
Old 1/8/13, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks MGW!
I had my mind set on buying just a 2 post bracket and keeping the stock shifter. But after reading this I think I will go with the MGW setup instead.

Thanks!
Old 1/8/13, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangLife'12

Sounds like my wife!!! doesn't matter what it is the answer from her is "NO, you don't need to do that"! lol
Mine let's me do whatever I want.

Quick Reply: - Anyone own BOTH (MGW & Barton)