Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

- Anyone own BOTH (MGW & Barton)

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/12, 07:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard a ton of people swear by the MGW shifter! But you ask them what other shifters they have used and they say none...
Begs the question, Anyone ever own a Barton/MGW then switched to the other?

Im only interesting in hearing from those who have used them both. Debating on which to go with here, want SMOOTH not notchy shifts. Interested in hearing how the reverse spring feels over time.

Thanks
(background: Im running the Steeda black shifter bushing now....tried the AM/SR shifter for a week. Switched back to stock due to the notchy feel)
Old 12/17/12, 11:29 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
this is a good point thread.... If it's worth anything, I recall reading a post from someone that stated they had the Barton then switched to MGW. I don't remember who.

Would have been great to drive/test cars with each one installed....
Old 12/17/12, 11:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FromZto5
this is a good point thread.... If it's worth anything, I recall reading a post from someone that stated they had the Barton then switched to MGW. I don't remember who.
I remember this too, but I can't remember who posted it.
Old 12/17/12, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by shurtual86

I remember this too, but I can't remember who posted it.
They switched, but did they say it was worth the switch. MGW is a pretty involved install, so Im guessing its the placebo effect once installed cause ppl don't want to tackle the un-install. Plus they have to justify the money spent to themselves.

That said, Im currently on the waiting list for the MGW shifter and NEW bracket....due to be shipped mid Jan.
Old 12/17/12, 02:08 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by StangLife'12
They switched, but did they say it was worth the switch. MGW is a pretty involved install, so Im guessing its the placebo effect once installed cause ppl don't want to tackle the un-install. Plus they have to justify the money spent to themselves.

That said, Im currently on the waiting list for the MGW shifter and NEW bracket....due to be shipped mid Jan.
I can almost guarantee that folks who have switched to MGW after using other shifters are not falling for the placebo effect. But again, I don't remember who the user was... take his (or her) word for it. I know when I did the switch, I talked to George extensively... and did TONS of research on MGW.

I'm glad you're on the wait list! You'll see soon enough, for yourself

EDIT: it was an involved install, but it was the most fun install I have done. We were done in 3 hours... but should have been 2, tops.

Last edited by FromZto5; 12/17/12 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12/17/12, 02:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I only have experience with an MGW in a T56 but I can say they are awesome shifters. I think your idea is good, that people think the shifter is better because it is beefier and may just be psychological, but in practice I think the MGW is just plain better then the Barton because it replaces to bad/poorly constructed parts of the shifter. Your paying more because you are replacing the lower and upper sections of the shifter. On the Barton your just replacing the actual shift rod but leaving the lower section stock.
Old 12/17/12, 02:12 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Brandon302
I only have experience with an MGW in a T56 but I can say they are awesome shifters. I think your idea is good, that people think the shifter is better because it is beefier and may just be psychological, but in practice I think the MGW is just plain better then the Barton because it replaces to bad/poorly constructed parts of the shifter. Your paying more because you are replacing the lower and upper sections of the shifter. On the Barton your just replacing the actual shift rod but leaving the lower section stock.
^ THIS.

The MGW is a complete change, sans actual tranny... George essentially did the engineering for FORD, for the BETTER. lol. Ford should thank George and the MGW team.
Old 12/17/12, 02:14 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Haven't heard of anybody switching back. Heard of people still getting locked out and missing gears with the Barton. Everybody seems satisfied with the MGW. That right there should answer you question.
Old 12/17/12, 04:11 PM
GT Member

Found a thread posted back in March on another site comparing the two shifters. May help you a bit.

Click here to read thread.
Old 12/17/12, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GoTime
Found a thread posted back in March on another site comparing the two shifters. May help you a bit.

Click here to read thread.
THANKS!! #5 & #7 is a selling point for me:

...5. Shifting precision for these two was amazing compared to stock and both have a mechanical feel (more so on the Barton - MGW was a bit smoother)

7. Barton shifter is stiff when pushing down on it to get into reverse and when coming out of reverse it was a little notchy. MGW was smoother all the way around.
Old 12/17/12, 07:22 PM
I Have No Life

THANKS!! #5 & #7 is a selling point for me:

...5. Shifting precision for these two was amazing compared to stock and both have a mechanical feel (more so on the Barton - MGW was a bit smoother)

7. Barton shifter is stiff when pushing down on it to get into reverse and when coming out of reverse it was a little notchy. MGW was smoother all the way around.
Interesting....

Tbh though, I think the mgw is "notchy" in the sense that when you shift, you SHIFT! Meaning, you KNOW you shifted. It's firm, but reassuringly so...in a manly sort of way. Is it smooth? Yes... But I would say it's smooth and notchy. There is no vagueness whatsoever. When it goes into gear, you'll know so. I guess if that's what notchy means, then so be it. An adjective is an adjective I guess... Lol.
Old 12/18/12, 08:02 AM
V6 Member

I own a Barton and haven driven my buds car with the MGM. The MGM is like a refined, much better, stock part. The Barton is also great, but much more notchy. I like the notchy feel - it feels very positive. The Barton is difficult to get in to reverse.

I struggle with 4th gear at wot with the barton. I have the original Barton bracket.

I like the Barton, but if I had it to do over, I would buy the MGM.
Old 12/18/12, 02:56 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 89Turd
I own a Barton and haven driven my buds car with the MGM. The MGM is like a refined, much better, stock part. The Barton is also great, but much more notchy. I like the notchy feel - it feels very positive. The Barton is difficult to get in to reverse.

I struggle with 4th gear at wot with the barton. I have the original Barton bracket.

I like the Barton, but if I had it to do over, I would buy the MGM.
you do mean MGW, and not MGM right? just making sure I didn't miss another brand shifter...
Old 12/18/12, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I will find out tomorrow, going to MGW in Augusta GA, they have the shifter and new bracket waiting for me and so far have been great to deal with, almost like family, nice people.
I will post some info about my drive home in the next few days, can't wait!!!!!!
Old 12/18/12, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

MGW changed the design of their bracket? If so, what does it look like and what did they improve compared to original design? Mine will be installed this Friday... finally!
Old 12/18/12, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

The new bracket is supposed to lessen the NVH. No pics of it are out yet that I have seen!

Mustnag259, YES please do keep us in the loop on the feel & experience of the new shifter/bracket!
Old 12/18/12, 05:57 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Mustang259
I will find out tomorrow, going to MGW in Augusta GA, they have the shifter and new bracket waiting for me and so far have been great to deal with, almost like family, nice people.
I will post some info about my drive home in the next few days, can't wait!!!!!!
Congrats! So George and his team are installing it for you too? Lucky sob

The new bracket is supposed to lessen the NVH. No pics of it are out yet that I have seen!

Mustnag259, YES please do keep us in the loop on the feel & experience of the new shifter/bracket!
Good to know... Mine was installed late last year, nvh is fine...but that's nice that they keep improving the design. Kudos to MGW.
Old 12/19/12, 06:17 PM

Had their shifter in my Camaro and loved it, will definitely be installing it in my GT this spring.
Old 12/19/12, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

MGW is high quality, well engineered stuff
Old 12/20/12, 05:12 AM
V6 Member

Sorry - yes. I meant MGW.

Quick Reply: - Anyone own BOTH (MGW & Barton)