Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Anyone gone supercharged and regretted it?

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/16, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Certainly not a millennial; more a student of history and a cogent observer of the human condition.

The worst things people do to one another have almost always been aided using the power of words so, I don't underestimate their ability to have an impact.

I'm glad they don't affect you but, I have spent a lot of time in the company of words, as a union vice-president and a teacher. I have seen them affect many, both for good and ill.
Old 3/11/16, 09:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok, ok... bickering aside, I just want to thank you guys for sharing your knowledge...lots of valuable nuggets showing up here for those of us who want to learn.

I'm one who is really happy with a mildly suspension-modded/tuned Coyote...but I'm always eyeing my options for FI if the funds ever become available or if I ever become too bored with my pony.

The problem is that there see to be really big pros and cons to the various options out there....the only thing I feel like I've learned for certain (thanks to sqidd's posts) is that we should run as much heat exchanger/intercooler as we can possibly afford...which leaves me only a step past square one.

It's a complication decision...and it's one that is both expensive and potentially disastrous.

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/11/16 at 09:35 AM.
Old 3/11/16, 09:41 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never even taught of going there. I know I'll regret it
Old 3/11/16, 10:05 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
If you only understood the power of the darkside
Old 3/11/16, 02:38 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I see posts almost everyday now where more and more people are going F/I. I don't see the "disastrous" in it at all.
Sh*t,..........once I pay my truck off, I'm looking to build a monster of a car. (Right now, the Hellcat and the Mustang GT PP car would be great candidates. Those are the only 2 cars that have my interest right now.) Bottom line,...if you have the money and love cars, why not enjoy the added power/fun? It's not "disastrous".
Good luck.
Old 3/11/16, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sqidd
Are you by any chance a millennial?
Lol
Old 3/13/16, 08:18 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I missed some drama up in here

So after all that, I'm looking into a Paxton setup (have been for a bit)...... trying to get everything optimized otherwise before going there.

Just want to get it on the record I'm not anti- F/I at all, I somehow got the impression we were talking about road racing, hence the stance I took. Carry on....
Old 3/14/16, 05:13 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing I regret is not doing OPGs at the same time. It's cheap insurance that I wish I had done.
Old 3/22/16, 12:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I feel that i am currently heading towards the N/A route. I'm not trying to make out I am a track day god, I am not, in fact I rarely do a track day.

I want something that is blistering fast on windy roads. I can't stand the feeling of under steer when turning in to a corner. If the weight of a supercharger will add to that then I'm not sure if I can live with that.

I really need to ride in a well setup N/A and boosted mustang.

What about the Cobra jet intake, CAI, TB, intake/exhaust cams, headers, xpipe and catback?
Old 3/22/16, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
I feel that i am currently heading towards the N/A route. I'm not trying to make out I am a track day god, I am not, in fact I rarely do a track day.

I want something that is blistering fast on windy roads. I can't stand the feeling of under steer when turning in to a corner. If the weight of a supercharger will add to that then I'm not sure if I can live with that.

I really need to ride in a well setup N/A and boosted mustang.

What about the Cobra jet intake, CAI, TB, intake/exhaust cams, headers, xpipe and catback?
Your conclusions are correct. It does affect handling in a couple ways. One is the push you describe from the weight and the other is the insane power delivery. It does make the car into something less like a razor and more like a shotgun on casters in the twisty stuff. Can this be fixed? Yeah, of course, with full suspension and super good tires but, the truth is, you are fundamentally unbalancing the car and a lot will need to be done to bring it back into balance. The question is, how much fun is it anymore and do you know when you are happy?

If you are planning on lots of trips to high rpm the n/a route you describe will give you a hell of a package, as in, 500 horse or close to. Well charted territory there, you can read up on which of your choices there actually give you the best bang for your buck.
Old 3/22/16, 08:49 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just dynoed my car and I have 688 rwhp and I have no problem driving it. Now if you floor it well duh NO street tires will hold. I figure I will get a set of MT and rims and go to the track.I like the extra power to me it is fun to drive but obviously if you drive crazy bad things will happen.
Old 3/22/16, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Nothing wrong with what you say. Everyone has their views and it's all cool.

It does seem like a lot of money to not be sure the outcome will be satisfying though so, the original question is well-chosen by anyone contemplating this.

My track would toss me out for no cage if I could even remotely hook up power like you are describing. I'm pushing it with 100 horse shot of nitrous as it sits, definitely, if thing go the way they should. I put my old 2012 into the high 11s on a mild tune and tire only so, busting 11.50 isn't a stretch adding N20 to the current car. At least I can hide the bottle and play dumb. Backup plan, if I'm too fast, is just turn the power off and run n/a and, I'm only out about 700 bucks for the kit.

I really like to run at the track. I've been doing it for decades, cars and bikes and, I have friends there so, I'd not want to spec myself out of contention in one way. I certainly don't want to cut up the car for a cage, as it is DD and I'm afflicted with rheumatoid arthritis so, clambering out around bars wouldn't be fun. The drag bike's in the basement until I find a cure so, my joy will be limited to what the car can do this year, likely.
Old 3/24/16, 06:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
There is no way I'd ever consider Nos.

If I put my foot down and the car cannot effectively apply power to the ground it is a waste of money to me. From what I have ready drag radials are just for drag and take corners like crap, I am not interested in going in a straight line.

Looking at having a shop installing the cobra jet cams/doing valve springs I was quote $2500 which apparently requires taking out the engine on coyotes?

There's no way I am paying that much, at that cost plus the cams I may as well go the supercharger route and fit it myself.

The vmp stage 3 with, headers, x pipe and cat back how much power at the wheels can I expect. Could a stage 1 be more effective than a stage 3 due to the less power and torque?
Old 3/24/16, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

How much risk to you want to put the rotating assembly? Stage 3 is over 600 horse wheel. This is getting into the range where people start to consider upgrading internals, at the very least oil pump gears. .

With ANY supercharger you choose, you will not be able to just floor it and put the power down. Maybe you don't comprehend how much force you're planning to put through two tiny contact patches. You need serious supporting suspension mods and really good, larger tires to have a hope.

I've never heard of having to pull the engine to put cams on a Coyote, they drop straight on. However, you can go pretty **** far, as in close to 500 horse, without having to touch cams on a Coyote. You will have to rev the **** out of the motor but, it's been done.

I understand, in a way, your statement on nitrous. It isn't for everyone but, it really is an excellent, safe power adder for the track. I've used every power adder there is in 30+ years in this game. Nitrous is the best bang for the buck, easiest to tune and delivers more energy per claimed HP than all of them.
Old 3/24/16, 08:50 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
There is no way I'd ever consider Nos.

If I put my foot down and the car cannot effectively apply power to the ground it is a waste of money to me. From what I have ready drag radials are just for drag and take corners like crap, I am not interested in going in a straight line.

Looking at having a shop installing the cobra jet cams/doing valve springs I was quote $2500 which apparently requires taking out the engine on coyotes?

There's no way I am paying that much, at that cost plus the cams I may as well go the supercharger route and fit it myself.

The vmp stage 3 with, headers, x pipe and cat back how much power at the wheels can I expect. Could a stage 1 be more effective than a stage 3 due to the less power and torque?
I have found when ever you go with the base set up you pretty much always regret it. Also they should not have to take out the engine for doing cams, I did my OPG's myself and I was thinking about doing the intake cams at the same time since they are right there. I would talk to Justin @ VMP and/or Shaun @ AED as well just to get opinions from them. I know of a couple of people that run VMP and KB set ups on the road tracks and are fine with it. I do not think you will get to 500 rwhp easily with just a cobra jet , TB, and cams. I know the VMP/ROUSH are straight forward installs. Also remember once you start modding the $$ always seen to go up. I made the mistake of "saving money" a couple of times and I pretty much wasted $2000 on nothing tunes , not getting the bigger kit etc. I had the FORD procal tune now that is waste to me. I felt nothing. What fuel are you running and can the tuners even dial it in good enough. Are 91 octane in AZ sucks.
Also with the SC kits any of them when you these high HP numbers you will probably never see them much especially on the street. How many times are you really at 7600. Then again I have no road track experience so I could be completely wrong. I also would never data log on anything but a large freeway or better at the dyno shop.
Here is my link
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...a-2014-GT-auto
not sure if I already posted this earlier on the thread sorry if I did.
I would try and do as much of the work yourself if possible too.
Also from your first statement for putting your foot down.. I think any power adder will be a waste somewhat whenever you are considering adding 150 - 200 more rwhp I think you will always have to feather the pedal.

Last edited by 14stangGT; 3/24/16 at 09:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tourer (8/24/17)
Old 3/30/16, 01:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Boy this thread took a **** quickly.

Anyway. I don't regret it. The only thing I regret is not having a built engine so i can up the boost. I only have one life to live might as well keep looking forward and not looking back. I can atleast say I drove a supercharged car instead of never.

The car world is really all biased opinions when it comes to what you should and shouldn't do to your car. You'll either learn the hard way or do it right the first time. No sense in trying to prove your point on an internet forum. Have fun with your car, you want boost? boost the hell out of it. You don't? Then more(not really) to ya.
Old 8/24/17, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You have tons of wiggle room. You're safe. Out of curiosity what did your car put down at that boost level? What other mods (headers, off road midpipe, etc).
Whipple 2.9 for a 2013 Mustang GT, 8psi of boost, up to 700HP according to their website.
sqidd (8/24/17)
Old 8/24/17, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

What advice/opinion have I given could have been influenced by having "skin in the game"? I don't remember suggesting anyone buy anything.

And frankly I don't appreciate you suggesting I am less than honest. I understand your initial reaction to industry insiders. But if anyone knows me, and a lot do, they know I take getting my customers into what is best for them very seriously. Even if that doesn't involve me making the sale.

Again, I understand your original assessment. There is a lot of crap product out there and a lot of people that will say anything to make the sale. But don't paint me with the same brush. I constantly lose sales because I won't promise the unrealistic results others do. And I constantly catch backlash from shops/vendors/manufacturers for my candor. In short there is a "cost" to how I approach truth. I'm not going to pay that and also take guff about being less than honest because I'm inside the industry.

Rant over......

Where do you suggest someone find those sources?

-According to you you can't trust the vendors and manufacturers (for the most part you can't).

-You can't trust magazines. There are no longer tech reviews or tests. Everything you see is a paid advertisement.

-Most of the customer base is woefully technically unqualified to asses the performance of a supercharger they own. They have personal bias and the conscious or subconscious defense of a large purchase. And in most case they have only ever owned one supercharger which means they don't have anything to compare it to.

-And a few of the big names that have stellar reputations are tarted up junk. So you can't trust reputation.

I'm seriously curious where you think that people can get good, accurate, unbiased facts from? This is not me arguing. This is me genuinely curious about what you think. If there is a solution to the "problem" I'm all ears. Because I think it's a big problem (the lack of reliable buying information).
I don't know about the rest of you but, what Squid has to say sounds very reasonable and believable, It has the ring of TRUTH to it.
sqidd (8/24/17)
Old 8/24/17, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Are you by any chance a millennial?

Words don't offend me. The only thing I take as aggression is something physical. And unless it's someone close to me, I'm not effected by other peoples opinions/observation. So I can't relate to where you're coming from.
Love it.
sqidd (8/24/17)
Old 8/24/17, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tourer
Whipple 2.9 for a 2013 Mustang GT, 8psi of boost, up to 700HP according to their website.
Bwaaaahaaaaaahaaaaa!!!! It could maybe be done on e85. But certainly not with the kit as delivered.

And 8psi........LOL. Clearly someone down at Whipple screwed up. Ballpark boost numbers are easy. At 14.7psi (one additional atmosphere) you roughly double what a motor makes stock. That's assuming 100% efficency and no parasitic loss, which is impossible. So a 400rwhp Yote, which is pretty middle of the road with exhaust takes an additional .75 atmosphere to make 700rwhp. .75 atmosphere is 11.025psi. And remember, that's at 100% efficiency and no parasitic loss.

At 11psi a Yote with exhaust and headers will make 600-625rwhp. There is no way that it's doing it at 8psi. 11psi is also the octane limit of 93. So 700rwhp at 8psi on 93 octane is impossible on two different fronts.
The following 2 users liked this post by sqidd:
crjackson (8/24/17), tourer (8/28/17)

Quick Reply: Anyone gone supercharged and regretted it?