5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Another header/exhaust thread....

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/11, 05:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Another header/exhaust thread....

Ok, my turn. I know there are tons of great threads on here regarding different set-ups, etc but...

Im currently deployed and bandwidth is at a premium. Long-story short, youtube and other videos dont like to 'work' here. So the easy solution of 'listen to clips on youtube' is out...

Im doing a longtube/x-pipe/axel-back set up and need some opinions on sound. Im buying the parts and having them installed in about 2 weeks (trying to get my car 'ready' for my november homecoming).

As far as my plans for this one, N/A for the time being: boss mani, intake, the exhaust, and a dyno tune from BDP in Jersey. All of which i plan on having done ASAP. Ive never owned a car with LTs....so im not really sure what to expect.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 9/10/11, 06:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have arh 1 7/8 long tubes, catted 3 inch x pipe, and bassani race axle back and absolutely freaking love it. I had that with the magna flow comp catback first and hated everything about the magna flow catback....the sound, and especially the fitment was horrible. My car now has a great noticeable tone at idle, doesn't rasp, and when you get on it, it has an awesome exotic sound. Wouldn't change it for anything.
Old 9/10/11, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Borla has alot of nice options. My personal choice would be their XR-1 long tube headers, x-pipe and full ATAK cat-back system. Great sound. Zero drone. Heard nothing but good things so far. It's the same system I'll be installing on mine.

Stay safe in Afghanland.
Old 9/10/11, 09:57 AM
Cobra Member

+1 for the borla atak system. If I ever decide to go "loud", the atak is My favorite by far.
Old 9/11/11, 04:55 AM
GT Member

thanks for the input gents. The shop is pitching me kooks 1 7/8 headers with 3" x pipe and bassani axelbacks. Sounds pretty similar to mystickeith's exhaust setup. Im gonna have them run me a quote on the borla's too. I had borla parts on every car I have owned to date and none dissapointed....so I might be swayed.
Old 9/11/11, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've heard that bassani's have alot of drone. I'd either go with a full Kooks set up or go with Borla.
Old 9/11/11, 12:23 PM
Cobra Member

On second thought , With the x pipe and headers the borla sports would sound amazing ; better than the atak. Just as loud but not the raspy stuff.
Old 9/11/11, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
On second thought , With the x pipe and headers the borla sports would sound amazing ; better than the atak. Just as loud but not the raspy stuff.

Borla Sports? I'm pretty sure Borla only makes 3 systems for the 11-12 GT. Touring, S-Type and ATAK. In my opinion, nothing sounds better than the ATAK system. It's loud, aggressive and doesn't drone. Remember, we're driving mustangs, they're meant to be loud so don't short yourself on the exhaust.
Old 9/11/11, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03

Borla Sports? I'm pretty sure Borla only makes 3 systems for the 11-12 GT. Touring, S-Type and ATAK.
I think he's referring to the s-types...

+1 on the borlas... I have the ATAK catback w/ x-pipe and if I wrecked my car and had to buy a new setup, I'd definitely get the ATAK again... The s types are awesome too though... Can't wait to put LTs on mine... I'm prob gonna go w/ the xr1 headers
Old 9/11/11, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's what I'm doing as well. XR-1 long tubes and full ATAK system. I'm very excited.
Old 9/11/11, 06:19 PM
GT Member

Thank you for your service.
Old 9/11/11, 06:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03

Borla Sports? I'm pretty sure Borla only makes 3 systems for the 11-12 GT. Touring, S-Type and ATAK. In my opinion, nothing sounds better than the ATAK system. It's loud, aggressive and doesn't drone. Remember, we're driving mustangs, they're meant to be loud so don't short yourself on the exhaust.
Borla s types. That's correct, sorry long day. I'm not French so I dont speak a perfect lexicon lol.
Old 9/12/11, 12:24 AM
GT Member

I was running the borla stingers on my 09 with the rest of the exhaust factory. I loved the way it sounded. I know the LTs are gonna be WAY louder. Any idea of how borla's sound varies between the 4.6 and new 5.0?
Old 9/14/11, 04:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
I think he's referring to the s-types...

+1 on the borlas... I have the ATAK catback w/ x-pipe and if I wrecked my car and had to buy a new setup, I'd definitely get the ATAK again... The s types are awesome too though... Can't wait to put LTs on mine... I'm prob gonna go w/ the xr1 headers
hey i got the atak system once you put the headers on i will drive to austin to hear it. so hit me up
Old 9/14/11, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blk5.0

hey i got the atak system once you put the headers on i will drive to austin to hear it. so hit me up
Awesome choice! You'll love em! I'll let u know when I pull the trigger on the LTs... Prob gonna wait til my license suspension is up in February... Don't need any more attention drawn to myself
Old 9/16/11, 03:12 AM
GT Member

Pulling the trigger this week. How loud should i expect this thing to be? Im doing a catted x pipe. LTs. And an axel back. I know its gonna be louder then my 09 with jsut axelbacks. Should i expect 'wake the neighbors loud' like my old 93 5.0 with catless x-pipe and super40 mufflers?
Old 9/29/11, 05:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me know how you like the setup with full exhaust, Boss mani, and intake/tune when you get it on. I'm looking to upgrade mine and want to keep it N/A as well. Exploring my options. hoping that opening up the breathing a little more with Intake, LT's, and xpipe with high or no flow cats will reduce the torque loss brought on by the mani. Anyone else have this set up?
Old 9/29/11, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
Let me know how you like the setup with full exhaust, Boss mani, and intake/tune when you get it on. I'm looking to upgrade mine and want to keep it N/A as well. Exploring my options. hoping that opening up the breathing a little more with Intake, LT's, and xpipe with high or no flow cats will reduce the torque loss brought on by the mani. Anyone else have this set up?
I'm running CAI, catback w/ x-pipe, BOSS Intake, and a 93 octane dyno tune. I love it! The torque loss is no BS as I'm laying down 406whp and 349tq, but it pulls like a b**** on the high end. From what I'm told, LTs and an O/R x-pipe w/o cats will solve that issue promptly. I won't be getting mine til February or so (ARH 1 7/8 LTs) but I'm sure it'll be awesome. I assure you, if you do these mods you won't be disappointed and you'll have one hell of a N/A beast on your hands. My goal for now is to hit 400/400 minimum with no boost... Almost there!
Old 9/29/11, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
I'm running CAI, catback w/ x-pipe, BOSS Intake, and a 93 octane dyno tune. I love it! The torque loss is no BS as I'm laying down 406whp and 349tq, but it pulls like a b**** on the high end. From what I'm told, LTs and an O/R x-pipe w/o cats will solve that issue promptly. I won't be getting mine til February or so (ARH 1 7/8 LTs) but I'm sure it'll be awesome. I assure you, if you do these mods you won't be disappointed and you'll have one hell of a N/A beast on your hands. My goal for now is to hit 400/400 minimum with no boost... Almost there!

Your low end torque will return with the install of LT's and an X-pipe. With a decent tune and your mods, you'll be looking at 430-440RWHP.
Old 9/29/11, 10:27 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Don't be surprised on a slight loss of low end torque with long tubes and a x-pipe. Backpressure may help on the low end. On the other hand, you will definitely see a gain on high end.

Quick Reply: Another header/exhaust thread....