Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

American Muscle Short Throw Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/12, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
Finally ... shifter and bracket installed. It was very easy .. considering that I installed a set of Roush Front springs prior to installing the shifter ...it was really simple compared to the springs!! LOL

Its almost comical how cheap and cheesy the factory shifter and bracket are ... Thank you Ford bean Counters ....

My best description of new shift feeling is based on my past experience with my 2010. I would say it feels someplace between the factory TR3650 shifter and the ROUSH shifter I had installed. ROUSH is very notchy and very short throw .. it takes a little extra effort to shift but there is now doubt you are in the gear you want to be in.

The AM Shifter / Steeda Bracket gives a nice middle ground shift experience. It is notchy enough to know what gear you are in but still smooth enough to be able to shift without thinking about it. There is almost no play in the shifter what so ever ... the typical "am I in neutral Gear shift wobble" technique is almost nonexistent. The first couple of 3rd gear shifts were a little sketchy but everything broke in fast and it is now perfect.

I DID NOT install the included spring that came with the AM shifter. So it does take a little force to get it OUT of reverse. Maybe I should have swapped springs but it seems to be getting easier already. Reverse lockout is now metal to metal contact so I am sure it will wear down and smooth itself out.

There is not too much throw difference compared to stock shifter. I seems 1/3/5 are shorter than 2/4/6 ....

What I noticed right away is that many times I would accidentally hit 3rd instead of 1st when I came out of reverse ... I don't seem to have the problem any longer.

I am definitely happy with my purchase and the entire setup was around $200 .... PS .. used the RED bushing - very very little extra vibration .. only noticeable at high RPM ...
i there still that "crunch" from first to second that you feel with the stock shifter?
Old 1/29/12, 07:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So far all gears are smooth. Even first slides in nicely from a stop ... that was not always the case before. Not sure if it's the shifter or the bracket since I replaced them both at the same time.

One tip I have for all the MT82 owners who are coming from other cars. Make sure you are shifting perfectly vertical in relation to the transmission. That is ... make sure you are pushing straight up towards front of car when shifting to 1/3/5 and straight back towards rear of car when shifting 2/4/6 ..

I had the hardest time shifting my Roush when first installed in my 2010. When shifting up I was kind of pushing up and over towards the passenger side slighty .. and when shifting down I was pulling slight towards driver side. The stock TR3650 could hit the gears doing that technique but the Roush could not since it was much tighter.

Same with the MT82 shifters. The gate is really close .. so make sure you are pushing and pulling Straight UP and Straight BACK .. no angle at all. I have been doing that since I first got in my 2012 and never had any issues even with the stock shifter.
Old 1/30/12, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SterlingStangMan
Thanks White5ohh and dmhines for the posts. I will do my install next weekend and can't wait to feel the improvements. Did you install the spring White5ohh? Figure it must be there for a reason. Why would you want to leave it out?
I did then I took it out. I just didn't like the way it felt. Its to male it easier to get in reverse. But imo it was to soft.
Old 1/30/12, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

So far all gears are smooth. Even first slides in nicely from a stop ... that was not always the case before. Not sure if it's the shifter or the bracket since I replaced them both at the same time.

One tip I have for all the MT82 owners who are coming from other cars. Make sure you are shifting perfectly vertical in relation to the transmission. That is ... make sure you are pushing straight up towards front of car when shifting to 1/3/5 and straight back towards rear of car when shifting 2/4/6 ..

I had the hardest time shifting my Roush when first installed in my 2010. When shifting up I was kind of pushing up and over towards the passenger side slighty .. and when shifting down I was pulling slight towards driver side. The stock TR3650 could hit the gears doing that technique but the Roush could not since it was much tighter.

Same with the MT82 shifters. The gate is really close .. so make sure you are pushing and pulling Straight UP and Straight BACK .. no angle at all. I have been doing that since I first got in my 2012 and never had any issues even with the stock shifter.
I installed the shifter about two months before the bracket. It really only made it a shorter throw. The bushing made the. Biggest difference.
Old 1/30/12, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks White5ohh for the feedback on the spring. I will not install it then.
Old 1/30/12, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks White5ohh for the feedback on the spring. I will not install it then.
No prob. And that is just my opinion. It only takes a few minutes and an allen wrench to install if you just wanna test it out.
Old 1/30/12, 02:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by White5ohh
No prob. And that is just my opinion. It only takes a few minutes and an allen wrench to install if you just wanna test it out.
I didn't really look .. can you swap springs without removing Shifter?
Old 1/31/12, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Just got the shifter from UPS and the directions seem to indicate you do it from the hex bolt on the shifter body. Not sure I want to mess with that. The MGW shifter shows the spring inside the lower shfiter body but that could be just the way they are set up. If it works, don't fix it LOL!
Old 2/1/12, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Just got the shifter from UPS and the directions seem to indicate you do it from the hex bolt on the shifter body. Not sure I want to mess with that. The MGW shifter shows the spring inside the lower shfiter body but that could be just the way they are set up. If it works, don't fix it LOL!
Its only 3 pieces the body splits and there is a retainer. Very simple. But I switched back.
Old 2/1/12, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

I didn't really look .. can you swap springs without removing Shifter?
I didn't look after. But if I remember correctly you should ne able to.
Old 2/2/12, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I just got done installing the AM Short Throw Shifter and Steeda Shift Bracket - WOW what a difference! Very positive feeling in all gears! Reverse will take some getting used to but going foward it is a huge improvement! As reported before 1, 3, and 5 are much shorter throws (1-1.5 in) and 2, 4, and 6 are shorter (3 in) but about twice the throw of the odd number gears. We'll see how things settle it. Feel like the shifter sits closer to the left than before and almost butts with the opening. Had to drop the bracket to put the seal around the hole. This was a great bang for the buck! I'm sure the higher end shifters would blow me away but I am happy!
Old 2/4/12, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I just got done installing the AM Short Throw Shifter and Steeda Shift Bracket - WOW what a difference! Very positive feeling in all gears! Reverse will take some getting used to but going foward it is a huge improvement! As reported before 1, 3, and 5 are much shorter throws (1-1.5 in) and 2, 4, and 6 are shorter (3 in) but about twice the throw of the odd number gears. We'll see how things settle it. Feel like the shifter sits closer to the left than before and almost butts with the opening. Had to drop the bracket to put the seal around the hole. This was a great bang for the buck! I'm sure the higher end shifters would blow me away but I am happy!
Just wait till that bracket settles. I really noticed a difference a day or two later. It is my favorite mod to date. Even though I think it should be like that from the factory.
Old 2/4/12, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I think it is prob my best mod as well....LOVE the feel of the shifter now. So much, I bumped the AM Shifter down on my list of mods a few notches!
Old 2/6/12, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is all really good feedback, guys! I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the products. I was quite surprised when driving the car right after installing our shifter with the Barton bracket. I didn't get a chance to drive it since it's had some hard miles on it, though. I'll check it out now and see if it's even further-settled!

Awesome stuff!
Old 4/2/12, 08:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Those of you who haven't installed the extra spring, has reverse got any better? Mine seems to stick coming out of reverse, but I'm thinking it's just because it's brand new. I'm going to give it a couple more days until I try the spring.

I've only put about 50 miles on mine and so far I like it, it's night and day difference over stock. Gears are more positive feeling now and no more guessing what gear I'm in.

Install was easy and I only had the front up on ramps. One tip though, put the boot on before you tighten the bracket up under the car. If you don't the boot will not clear one of the bolts from the shifter base due to its increased thickness.

My only complaint is I got it on Thursday last week and now it's on sale this month.

Last edited by Hytek; 4/2/12 at 08:53 AM.
Old 4/2/12, 03:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
My only complaint is I got it on Thursday last week and now it's on sale this month.
They may issue you a credit, John. They have done it for me before, they're awesome over there.
Old 4/5/12, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just an update... the reverse spring that came in the shifter is starting to break in more.
Old 4/5/12, 03:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I left the factory reverse spring in. At first it would need to be lightly forced out of reverse. Now it's fine. Then lockout feature is metal to metal contact with the AM shifter so it just needs a little wear down and break in.
Old 4/24/12, 07:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Update: 800 miles since install and the reverse spring is broken in. It's really night and day difference over stock. Shifting is precise, I know what gear I'm in and I don't guess if I'm in 1st or reverse anymore. If anyone's on the fence about this shifter, I hope my review helps. Plus I believe it's on sale this month too.

AM, how about a sticker already?